Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone tell me what the Outgoing SMPT is for IOL.ie address now we are using EIR

Options
  • 13-11-2016 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭

Sorry for this... But I can't see out emails.

Is there a new address???

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

try

mail.iolfree.ie

it responds on port 25 and 465

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

I will try that....

So the current 110 port goes to 465????

I am a paying customer... So was using mail1.eircom.net

Have not rang them in the past ... But will have to if I can't get up and going

110 is POP3 (or incoming email) and rarely used anymore as most POP3 servers use TLS 993.
    25 and 465 is SMTP or Outgoing email.

Are you having problems sending or receiving email?

BailMeOut wrote: »
    110 is POP3 (or incoming email) and rarely used anymore as most POP3 servers use TLS 993.
    25 and 465 is SMTP or Outgoing email.

Are you having problems sending or receiving email?

It's my Outgoing Mail that is the problem......

Masala wrote: »
    It's my Outgoing Mail that is the problem......

ok so what outgoing (SMTP) server have you been using and what port? You need to make sure you are also authenticating so need to add your username and password to the SMTP server setting as werll.

• Advertisement

ok so what outgoing (SMTP) server have you been using and what port? You need to make sure you are also authenticating so need to add your username and password to the SMTP server setting as werll.

Using mail1.eircom.net and 25 as the port. I haven't used my name and password in the SMTP settings... Never done so before!!! So is this something new that is needed???

Using mail1.eircom.net and 25 as the port. I haven't used my name and password in the SMTP settings... Never done so before!!! So is this something new that is needed???

with SMTP you must authenticate otherwise the server would be an open relay.

I know you did not ask but you should seriously consider getting a proper email address. (gmail/hotmail/yahoo/etc...) and getting rid of this IOL account.

with SMTP you must authenticate otherwise the server would be an open relay.

I know you did not ask but you should seriously consider getting a proper email address. (gmail/hotmail/yahoo/etc...) and getting rid of this IOL account.

I agree .... Been with iol for donkeys years. Am paying over €300 a year to maintain it... Have all the family on iol.ie addresses. Got in early so got john@iol.ie like a personal license plate and reluctant to lose it. Have so many suppliers using it ... Could be a nightmare contacting all to change to a gmail!!

But must start using gmail going forward and maybe editing all current profiles to change my email over to gmail

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mail1.eircom.net should work just fine.

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: mail1.eircom.net
    Address: 159.134.198.135

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: mail1.eir.ie
    Address: 95.45.178.41

Try eirs as an alternative. No encryption, no credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I'm having an issue with IOL on Office Outlook 2016, been working fine up until last week but now I can't send emails??? I've had MS look at it for about 2 hours and they're baffled. Has the outgoing domain changed?

• Advertisement

I agree .... Been with iol for donkeys years. Am paying over €300 a year to maintain it... Have all the family on iol.ie addresses. Got in early so got john@iol.ie like a personal license plate and reluctant to lose it. Have so many suppliers using it ... Could be a nightmare contacting all to change to a gmail!!

But must start using gmail going forward and maybe editing all current profiles to change my email over to gmail

is there an option in iol to forward email?

To be honest.... I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It wasn't particularly long ago that webmail providers were considered dodgy and ISP email considered "proper". Lots of older businesses would still think the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

To be honest.... I dont know.

I would have thought there is such an option, but you can also set-up GMail to bring in e-mail from IOL via POP3. I'm doing it for an old Oceanfree.net address I have.

I would have thought there is such an option, but you can also set-up GMail to bring in e-mail from IOL via POP3. I'm doing it for an old Oceanfree.net address I have.

ah forgot about that option in GMAIL - good point ItHurtsWhenIP

OP what ItHurtsWhenIP says is exactly what I would do.

ah forgot about that option in GMAIL - good point ItHurtsWhenIP

OP what ItHurtsWhenIP says is exactly what I would do.

That would be Great..... any links to a 'how to do it' ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Use this as the chance to move to "your own" email address

- this kind of thing :
    sales@masala.com

or whatever the company is called - looks better

gctest50 wrote: »
    Use this as the chance to move to "your own" email address

- this kind of thing :

or whatever the company is called - looks better

if you want to do a private domain and want to host your family email for free look at Zoho. (www.zoho.com). They allow upto 25 mailboxes for free using your own domain name. Google and Microsoft will cost about €5 / mailbox / month to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

That would be Great..... any links to a 'how to do it' ??

Go here and under the "Start importing emails" select A different email provider. Simples ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Hi guys. Apologies for resurrecting this old thread but I am having a problem receiving email for my main account.
    My email address is xxx@iol.ie. Why is it failing now after all this time ?

This only started on Saturday Sept 1st
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

TLS issue?

Seriously consider switching to GMAIL or another mail account. I know this is a very difficult decision as you probably have had this IOL for years but you'd be surprised how quickly you can switch over and everyone gets used to new address.

TLS issue?

Seriously consider switching to GMAIL or another mail account. I know this is a very difficult decision as you probably have had this IOL for years but you'd be surprised how quickly you can switch over and everyone gets used to new address.

Thanks for the reply. I have no idea what it is.
    It will be a royal pain to change as I've used it for business and personal for years and years. I literally have thousands of contacts

If you can setup an auto forward from iol to GMAIL that makes everything quite simple to change over. Their setup is really old and quite untrustworthy to other mail systems so I'd still make a plan to migrate in near term regardless. Their website is also mostly down so not a good sign.

Can you use their webmail portal http://webmail.iol.ie

..and interesting to see that they do not have a SSL cert on it which is quite bad.

If you can setup an auto forward from iol to GMAIL that makes everything quite simple to change over. Their setup is really old and quite untrustworthy to other mail systems so I'd still make a plan to migrate in near term regardless. Their website is also mostly down so not a good sign.

Can you use their webmail portal http://webmail.iol.ie

..and interesting to see that they do not have a SSL cert on it which is quite bad.

iol was set up in 1994 and I have had the email address since 1995. It had several owners I think and I wonder if anyone is responsible for the email addresses today ?

paulaa wrote: »
    iol was set up in 1994 and I have had the email address since 1995. It had several owners I think and I wonder if anyone is responsible for the email addresses today ?

It's a great domain name so has some value but as an email platform it is doomed or if not already dead. OP - make the move now, you will thank me later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

paulaa wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I have no idea what it is.
    It will be a royal pain to change as I've used it for business and personal for years and years. I literally have thousands of contacts
    Which do you think will be more painful?
    • spending a couple of weeks sorting out and notifying contacts of the change of address
    • trying to recover after it folds and you don't have access to the original email

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement