Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scread Expert Concrete v UFH Scread

Options
  • 13-11-2016 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hi folks just about to start building house, not a novice work in the construction industry but more of a structural/civil than interior and scread.

Anyway just changed bog standard oil and radiators to air to water heating with underfloor heating. Builder has said negligible cost difference but now brings up screads and insulation costs after saying we will change.

As far as I am aware concrete should be more expensive, but now he's saying scread for ufh is more and insulation. AFAIK that's bull ****.
    Screed and insulation is covered on detail so he's pulling a fast one. But I think is that he has not allowed for a scread that would take ufh.

Now, any work I am involved in is just sand cement scread and ufh. But is there a cheaper option he could have allowed for ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭madmac187

Bryan F to answer your question, done after signature. Comments is all so far no definitive cost given as of yet as we signed Thursday and mentioned it Friday. No drawing design but I didn't realise in section drawing of floor it was actually included and designed for, including insulation to comply with part L during discussion so I think he's pulling a fast one unless he has allowed for a scread non compliant with ufh. Does anyone know what that might be if at all? Also he and I are getting back to ber assessor to see insulation type/thickness.

Bryan F to answer your question, done after signature. Comments is all so far no definitive cost given as of yet as we signed Thursday and mentioned it Friday. No drawing design but I didn't realise in section drawing of floor it was actually included and designed for, including insulation to comply with part L during discussion so I think he's pulling a fast one unless he has allowed for a scread non compliant with ufh. Does anyone know what that might be if at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

What is your ground floor build up.

Your builder may be relating to increase costs in your ground floor. To meet Part L requirements, UFH on ground floor must be 0.15 u-value or better.

Perhaps your ground floor build up does not meet this as originally you were going for rads and now you changed to UFH. Which could mean beefing up the insulation required, hence more cost.

Screeds for UFH typically can be sand and cement approx 75mm depth or a liquid screed approx 50mm depth.

Liquid screed is slightly more expensive than standard sand and cement

delfagio wrote: »
    What is your ground floor build up.

Your builder may be relating to increase costs in your ground floor. To meet Part L requirements, UFH on ground floor must be 0.15 u-value or better.

Perhaps your ground floor build up does not meet this as originally you were going for rads and now you changed to UFH. Which could mean beefing up the insulation required, hence more cost.

Screeds for UFH typically can be sand and cement approx 75mm depth or a liquid screed approx 50mm depth.

Liquid screed is slightly more expensive than standard sand and cement

Ground floor makeup is all good and compliant with Part L because there is 150mm insulation there anyway with 75mm scread on top.

He was definitely referring to 1st floor. I'm thinking that maybe there is not adequate insulation in 1st and that's the reason and possible an issue with precast choice with reference to possibly weights but can't see that either. I think just insulation thickness and cost to increase is his issue.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

madmac187 wrote: »
    Bryan F to answer your question, done after signature. Comments is all so far no definitive cost given as of yet as we signed Thursday and mentioned it Friday. No drawing design but I didn't realise in section drawing of floor it was actually included and designed for, including insulation to comply with part L during discussion so I think he's pulling a fast one unless he has allowed for a scread non compliant with ufh. Does anyone know what that might be if at all? Also he and I are getting back to ber assessor to see insulation type/thickness.

Sorry madman
    When I wrote the post I thought, you were discussing ground floor. Hence deleted

There is some debate whether insulation is required at first floor insulation

Imho its technically not required under b-regs but imo essential to send the heat where you want it.

First question why in an air-tight, modern insulated, Mvhr house is ufh upstairs required?

• Advertisement

Thinking myself maybe not but it will help to keep heat upstairs. In saying that heat will only go up if you know what I mean. But maybe I'm wrong.

Advertisement