Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pinching/nip

Options
  • 13-11-2016 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Looking for some help, I've a nearly two year old who tramtums have up in last few weeks. He has a habit of pinching or nipping if he doesn't get his way. He's speech is very limited but he's understand us. He throws object too. I've got a naught chair but at times he's does his time and back at it again. And he's looking for a reaction (can laugh during this), so I've taken to dismissing him and not been pulled in but he's up the behaviour but my other child (5months) is his next target after me. Anyone had something similar?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Green, Amber and red zone for bad behavior, if he stays in the green zone for the day then a reward, Amber gives him time to consider his position before the naughty step red zone for time out. I have seen this operating in my kids school and it works well, the carrot and the stick essentially but the Amber zone helps stop the instant escalation so can reduce conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Look for the cause of the tantrums. Prevention always works best in my experience.

Is he tired, had enough naps? Recently dropped a nap?

Is he hungry... how long since last food or drink? Toddlers are the worlds worst for getting Hangry and they don't realise it so don't communicate it. They go through growth spurts too, suddenly needing way more food.

Is there frustration because he can't do something? Can you teach him something to get around it, or distract.

I know this isn't always possible, like when they throw a wobbler because you didn't let them cut off their own finger with a scissors! A strongly toned ah-ah for the biting should work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Atomicjuicer0

Maybe bored? Needs a creative outlet? Painting? Music?

Advertisement