Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless in the city centre

Options
  • 13-11-2016 10:49pm

Has anyone else noticed a rise in Homeless people in the City Centre? Not just the regular winos you'd see around the place, but people that are sleeping rough.

There's a few camped out outside the Forster Court Hotel, outside the Ulster Bank on Eyre Square, and have seen more dotted around the place.

Right now they're not doing anything bad, as such, but I just really hope it doesn't become like Dublin!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I did notice it the last time I was in Galway and that was in the summer. I can't imagine much comfort for homeless people on the West coast during the winter.

I presume your thinking of helping out with the issues or starting something up? I worked on a volunteer basis in Dublin on projects. PM me if you want info. The Galway Simon community are very active and you can volunteer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ya. Not quite sure what the story is: if someone presents to the council as homeless, they have to be accommodated. So we're seeing an increase in people publically not presenting. My suspicion is that spots in very prominent positions (Forster Court hotel) are keenly sought after, because of the amount of donations from people going to the bus-station.

I guess partly the accommodation crisis (well done the government for outlawing bedsits!) has made move on spaces more likely to be filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I did notice it the last time I was in Galway and that was in the summer. I can't imagine much comfort for homeless people on the West coast during the winter.

I presume your thinking of helping out with the issues or starting something up? I worked on a volunteer basis in Dublin on projects. PM me if you want info. The Galway Simon community are very active and you can volunteer.

Used to be a volunteer for Simon but only for a very short time. I got an insight into what life was like in a shelter. It was so long ago that I can not remember where it was. It may have been in the Claddagh. You had all sorts there whose lives had broken down for one reason or other. You can't help but admire volunteers' dedication especially the long termers. It is not an easy job. Walking along Forster St one day at about 5pm I saw a couple of homeless and also beside Tesco at hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

With Fairgreen House just around the corner, I wonder why they're consistently sleeping rough?

I see the same two guys every morning when I drive past Forster Court Hotel. Pretty sure I saw one of the guys sitting in his sleeping bag and reading off a tablet the other day. Just struck me as a weird stark contrast...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ya. Not quite sure what the story is: if someone presents to the council as homeless, they have to be accommodated. So we're seeing an increase in people publically not presenting.
    Well that is not true. Galway City Council can and do refuse people homeless services.
    I see the same two guys every morning when I drive past Forster Court Hotel. Pretty sure I saw one of the guys sitting in his sleeping bag and reading off a tablet the other day. Just struck me as a weird stark contrast...
    You expect him to be reading a paperbook?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

In my limited and possibly outdated experience the fairgreen is often at full capacity but the bigger element is that it is a dry house. There are no 'wet' houses as far as I'm aware in the city currently.
    Again i will say i am a bit out of date with how things are currently however i intend volunteering again this year in which case I'll update here..

With Fairgreen House just around the corner, I wonder why they're consistently sleeping rough?

People will be refused by the Fairgreen if they are drunk, or have previous form for anti-social behaviour there. But even then they're provided with bedding (that's why the sleeping bags you see on the street look so clean), and refered to other options. But some aren't interested in the other options, because they don't provide enough cash for alcohol, or are unacceptable for other reasons.

The people sleeping rough usually have complex long term problems, some of which (eg low intelligence) can never be fixed.

And as long as kind hearted people walking by give them cash, there's an incentive to stay on the street.

Winos With Smartphones.

I was walking passed them last night and saw quite a large stack of Dominos pizza boxes. Unless someone got it for them, it seems odd because Dominos isn't exactly cheap ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Smartphone and a keyboard are two things I've seen being used by the chap in the door of Forster Hotel. Always has a supply of takeaway trays, coke etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I've never seen those boys begging actually. They've certainly never asked me for anything.

• Advertisement

Winos With Smartphones.

I was walking passed them last night and saw quite a large stack of Dominos pizza boxes. Unless someone got it for them, it seems odd because Dominos isn't exactly cheap ...

Indeed, he should be cooking stuff in his imaginary kitchen.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Indeed, he should be cooking stuff in his imaginary kitchen.

Yes, because that's exactly the point I'm making. Good for you for figuring it out.

Oh, and /s, just in case it wasn't ruddy obvious.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I was homeless for a few months some years back, i ate takeaway because i couldn't store or prepare food.. I stayed away from hostels because of the con artists and the expense, i managed to save a deposit for a room by avoiding hostels/shelters too. I used the packaging from the food to insulate me from the ground.. To this day i'll talk to someone on the street to make sure they are managing ok, such a world to come to this..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I was homeless for a few months some years back, i ate takeaway because i couldn't store or prepare food.. I stayed away from hostels because of the con artists and the expense, i managed to save a deposit for a room by avoiding hostels/shelters too. I used the packaging from the food to insulate me from the ground.. To this day i'll talk to someone on the street to make sure they are managing ok, such a world to come to this..

Sorry to hear that. How did people treat you generally?

bobbyss wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. How did people treat you generally?

I wasn't very visible, i was so ashamed i didn't really stick around the main streets much.. Almost all people i did interact with were nice but a lot of people walked by i guess maybe they felt threatened or embarrassed themselves i don't know what they may have thought. I mainly slept in fr burke park and four star pizza used to be around the corner so i'd grab boxes at night.

Yes, because that's exactly the point I'm making

I don't think so. You started the thread to complain about the homeless people, not about homelessness. You continued on that vein by pointing out homeless people eating what you'd consider to be too expensive for them. You got called out on it and you're pretending "that's your point"?

yeah.

I've never seen those boys begging actually. They've certainly never asked me for anything.

They don't beg directly. One plays his accordian with a cup out though.

But people walking past think "oh you poor thing" and tuck cash down beside them, thinking that it will help the person afford a hostel bed for tomorrow night. Typically that's not what the cash is used for - though of course there can be exceptions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

But people walking past think "oh you poor thing" and tuck cash down beside them, thinking that it will help the person afford a hostel bed for tomorrow night. Typically that's not what the cash is used for - though of course there can be exceptions.

Have you asked him what he uses the cash for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 The spook

I was walking idly by city hall the other day, and noticed a mountain of cans hidden in the trees. I followed the trail of cans further into the brush, and spotted six or seven of those pink sleeping bags that they give to homeless people.
    It struck me as awful, considering how many homeless there must be in Ireland that would appreciate a sleeping bag.
    Only somebody that was certain that they could easily acquire another one would discard it so flippantly. Which brings two things to my attention:

A) Giving out sleeping bags is pointless if they are always going to be there
    B) Cheap Alchohol must be an issue.

That's probably where a few people sleep together, similar spots around the city..

• Advertisement

The spook wrote: »
    I was walking idly by city hall the other day, and noticed a mountain of cans hidden in the trees. I followed the trail of cans further into the brush, and spotted six or seven of those pink sleeping bags that they give to homeless people.
    It struck me as awful, considering how many homeless there must be in Ireland that would appreciate a sleeping bag.
    Only somebody that was certain that they could easily acquire another one would discard it so flippantly. Which brings two things to my attention:
    A) Giving out sleeping bags is pointless if they are always going to be there
    B) Cheap Alchohol must be an issue.
    Are City Hall 'housing' homeless people on their lawns?
    I assume you have a bed and a key to a door, where you can leave your bedding. Where do you think a homeless person can leave theirs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Could the city do with more homeless accommodation however basic eg warehouse or better . At present is it only Fairgreen for men and Waterside/Osterley for women. Not a lot , and fairgreen has its troubles which lead to some of the homeless doing their own thing and sleeping out which they may see as a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

/QUOTE]

Isn't that busking though? Is it different because he sleeps rough?

I think think as you and others have mentioned, the reasons for people sleeping out are complex and varied. Ranging from *not* feeling safe in shelters, to not being allowed in for several reasons, to mental illness, to simple fear. I don't think it's ever a one size fits all for homeless people. Also I know of a couple of people in Dublin who have given their old phones to the homeless, particularly to women as a safety measure, so seeing them on a smartphone, or accessing the internet, does not mean that they are loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

For anyone on Facebook, there's a page called 'Shoot The Homeless'. It's really worth a look.

youngrun wrote: »
    Could the city do with more homeless accommodation however basic eg warehouse or better . At present is it only Fairgreen for men and Waterside/Osterley for women. Not a lot , and fairgreen has its troubles which lead to some of the homeless doing their own thing and sleeping out which they may see as a better option.

Cope were advertising for premises for their colleagues weather initiative a few weeks back, they open some extra beds over the winter.

The issue with extra facilities that are ultra basic is that some people become institutionalised into them, and don't want to move into more independent places. I believe official policy is to not have hostels except as a very short term thing, but obviously that'd be a big change from the current situation.

And of course the current imbalance of housing supply and demand location is making things very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭thegodlife

Find this so sad as the numbers are rising and always try to give them what I can afford, although think it would be better if I could just buy them some food or something to keep warm

Spent the night in the car in a lay by near cashel about a fortnight ago as was it was in the early hours and was tired and couldn't safety make the remainded of my journey from Dublin to West Cork. I had a blanket in the car but still found it very difficult and it took me a few days to feel right afterwards, so can only imagine what it must be like night after night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

inisboffin wrote: »
    For anyone on Facebook, there's a page called 'Shoot The Homeless'. It's really worth a look.

That's really good

Whatever happened to the female who was sleeping in the AIB alcove on Eyre Sq?
    I observe AIB have now put shutters in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I heard from a few folk that people at Shelter and Cope had offered the Forster St folk accommodation, but they turned it down as they made more money and sympathy in the street staying put where they are. I wouldn't like to be out there tonight myself at 4 degrees.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

I heard from a few folk that people at Shelter and Cope had offered the Forster St folk accommodation, but they turned it down as they made more money and sympathy in the street staying put where they are. I wouldn't like to be out there tonight myself at 4 degrees.

Ya that's telling in itself. I'm not sure what it's telling us exactly but I don't think I'd accept a pay raise if it came with the condition I had to sleep on the street :D

Advertisement