Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless in the city centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the female who was sleeping in the AIB alcove on Eyre Sq?
    I observe AIB have now put shutters in place.

The shutters have been there and being closed at night for years and years.

The alcove where a woman was sleeping last year (or the year before, I'm not sure) is the former BOI premises, across the road from the AIB, now being used as BOI's start-up hub (whatever they're calling it).

The woman eventually disappeared from street-sleeping as the weather got worse. I'd assume she finally accepted some help, because when I saw her around town again earlier this year she seemed to be in a better condition. She did appear in the alcove again a few nights early this summer, but only a few. I'd guess that the support services now know what to say to tempt her to accept help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭Galway_Old_Man

I heard from a few folk that people at Shelter and Cope had offered the Forster St folk accommodation, but they turned it down as they made more money and sympathy in the street staying put where they are. I wouldn't like to be out there tonight myself at 4 degrees.

I don't doubt this (as I've encountered this attitude before) but it's certainly no reason to stop helping these people. Not poiting the finger at you just thought it needs to be said. A lot of homeless people aren't in a right state of mind and many do turn down help as you said, it's a different world for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

inisboffin wrote: »
    For anyone on Facebook, there's a page called 'Shoot The Homeless'. It's really worth a look.

Not what I was expecting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

For people interested in helping the local homeless I suggest a "reverse advent calendar"

Every day you buy an useful item and put it together with others in a large box.

Then just before Christmas give it to a local shelter or even a homeless person you find on the street

You can't help everyone but you can help someone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

biko wrote: »
    For people interested in helping the local homeless I suggest a "reverse advent calendar"
    Every day you buy an useful item and put it together with others in a large box.
    Then just before Christmas give it to a local shelter or even a homeless person you find on the street
    You can't help everyone but you can help someone.
    Where would a homeless person put such a box?

• Advertisement

I don't know snubbleste but I'm sure they can figure something out.
    The box doesn't have to be that large if you intend to give it to a person rather than a shelter

The items can be small like small tins of food and a tin opener. Maybe some hand warmers. Toothbrush and toothpaste.
    For women maybe lipstick and such too. A spot of makeup can lift spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

biko wrote: »

Have you actually run this by one of the local shelters?
    I say cash donations of what you suggest people buy instead of goods would be more useful to the local homeless charities.

I say cash donations of what you suggest people buy instead of goods would be more useful to the local homeless charities.
    No I haven't but if Simon sees this and want to PM me about how to help I can post on behalf of them.
    Simon already have a cash donation option on their webpage - if people would rather do that.

I got the idea because my company used to do the Christmas Tree where you give a box to Simon for them to pass on to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Don't know whether what I was told is true or not but anyway..

One of the two fellas sleeping with outside Forster Court approached me in late August and gave me a long spiel about his life and how he got here etc. Long story short; him and his childhood friend were emigrating here (illegally), his friend drugged him when they got to Galway, stole his money/things, he woke up the next day not knowing what happened, has a wife and kids at home (in Hungary I think), tried to get help from the relevant embassy but they essentially fobbed him off and told him it would be around a year before they could do anything for him, held a lot of disdain for the alcoholics/drug addicts in the city, he obviously can't work because he's not meant to be here. He was talking to us for a good 40 minutes and all he asked for at the end of it was a sandwich, which I bought him. I don't know if he was genuine or not but why would he just be looking for food otherwise? Seemed like a decent enough guy, maybe he's just trying to get funds together to get home if he is staying where he is simply for the money? Could just be a chancer as well, hard to know..

Would that be to fund the €89,623 salary of GalwaySimon CEO or the similar salary of pro-rata part time Cope CEO?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Would that be to fund the €89,623 salary of GalwaySimon CEO or the similar salary of pro-rata part time Cope CEO?

Jaysus have you any suggestions yourself or are you just here to knock other people's, didn't you do something similar when some charity collectors slept outside and were collecting money, think you called them weak or something

Jaysus have you any suggestions yourself or are you just here to knock other people's, didn't you do something similar when some charity collectors slept outside and were collecting money, think you called them weak or something
    No.
    Those people stated they'd be 'sleeping out' on a night until 6am on William St last December. Instead, they toddled off to an alcove adjacent a licenced premises for "elf & safety reasons". They failed to honour their commitment

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

No.
    Those people stated they'd be 'sleeping out' on a night until 6am on William St last December. Instead, they toddled off to an alcove adjacent a licenced premises for "elf & safety reasons". They failed to honour their commitment

And how much did they raise and was it not sub zero conditions?

Again have you any suggestions or are you just going to knock other people like Biko or the people in your post above for making an effort and actually doing something for the homeless?

And how much did they raise?
    Again have you any suggestions or are you just going to knock other people like Biko or the people in your post above for making an effort and actually doing something for the homeless?
    Lobby politicians for homes, homes, homes. All levers to solve issues surrounding homelessness in Galway are controlled by either the City Council or the Minister for Housing.

I don't know about that, there is always a big appeal for long shelf life foods (times food, pasta, cereal etc) and bedding around this time of year.

In fact my work place (not in Galway) do pretty much exactly what Biko suggested in conjunction with one of the charities. A box is left in reception and people are asked to fill it up with food or other useful items. There is also an svp giving tree to get some presents for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I don't know about that, there is always a big appeal for long shelf life foods (times food, pasta, cereal etc) and bedding around this time of year.

In fact my work place (not in Galway) do pretty much exactly what Biko suggested in conjunction with one of the charities. A box is left in reception and people are asked to fill it up with food or other useful items. There is also an svp giving tree to get some presents for kids.

You missed the point I was making. The difference with your workplace is that you are working and communicating with said charity on what there needs and wants that they actually have

Lobby politicians for homes, homes, homes. All levers to solve issues surrounding homelessness in Galway are controlled by either the City Council or the Minister for Housing.

If the lads on Forster St won't accept a hostel bed, what makes you think they accept a house?

If the lads on Forster St won't accept a hostel bed, what makes you think they accept a house?
    As pointed out earlier, people will avoid hostels for a number of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I brought some food to a shelter in Galway about three years ago. The people running it were very happy for the donation but said it was over the top and not really needed because they get 3 meals a day and a snack in the evening.

I was happy to hear they get such great care.

I think Galway needs a wet room. Wasn't there a lad who use to be homeless in the city who wrote a book about it. He talked about friends of his dying during the winter and waking up stuck to the path by the ice. In a city where there's been some over the top and stupid spending even through the recession, we really should be doing more to help those sleeping rough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Been homeless. Those boys at forster court are there for the money. When you're homeless you don't camp on main roads. They don't beg because people give without asking. Homeless hide. Through experiences like waking up whilst being pissed on and laughed at, set on fire, kicked half to death.

Cold is not much issue when you are homeless, people are the danger. You don't stay in one spot long and you certainly don't lounge in your bed all day. Same as the bint opposite the hospital. Prime begging spot without begging.

These guys make about 40 euro per hour and get the odd sandwich/pizza to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

FortySeven wrote: »

I'm just wondering how you come up with that figure? I've a friend who works at a business nearby and she says they seem to get more food than money?

While I agree about the horrible abuse that the homeless can face, I disagree about cold being an issue, particularly this weather, and if someone passes out, hypothermia is a real concern.

In Dublin there used to be the homeless who 'hid' for safety, often people on their own, then those who slept in shop doors, brightly lit areas, places with air vents etc. Often in groups as they did think it safer. I don't think it's black and White for everyone.

I'm just wondering how you come up with that figure? I've a friend who works at a business nearby and she says they seem to get more food than money?

I don't know about these fellas but I know for a fact buskers in prominent spots would be making that sort of money on even reasonably busy nights (i.e. Thursday to Sunday nights most weeks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Someone dropping €2 in a cup every 3 minutes, seems reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I agree with the food / tea donations, but there's no way they make about 40 euro per hour. The two outside the Foster Court are there for at least 12 hours a night during the winter months. That would be just under 500 euro a night.

The problem with figures like this being bandied about as 'fact' is, after being repeated a number of times it becomes "common knowledge", and then gets applied to many more homeless, and makes them less human to the eyes of others. It also makes them targets of aggression, not just from drunken idiots, but from other homeless also.

There are many reasons for folks becoming homeless, but please don't confuse them with professional beggars, by suggesting that they are doing it for the money.

Edit: I'm based in Dublin, so I'm assuming that the two outside the Foster Court are only there at night-time and aren't begging during the daytime.

dilallio wrote: »
    Edit: I'm based in Dublin, so I'm assuming that the two outside the Foster Court are only there at night-time and aren't begging during the daytime.

They'll are there during the day, I suspect so that they don't lose the very lucrative spot.

Daytime they might get more food, evening and early morning I'd say it's more cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Been homeless. Those boys at forster court are there for the money. When you're homeless you don't camp on main roads. They don't beg because people give without asking. Homeless hide. Through experiences like waking up whilst being pissed on and laughed at, set on fire, kicked half to death.

Cold is not much issue when you are homeless, people are the danger. You don't stay in one spot long and you certainly don't lounge in your bed all day. Same as the bint opposite the hospital. Prime begging spot without begging.

Bint?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

bobbyss wrote: »
    Bint?

Google?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

My immediate response was "spoofer" but I read through your previous posts and you've certainly been through the mill, more than once and you seemed to have pulled yourself from an impossible brink. Fair play to you, I reckon you're one in a million that could do that. A strong willed, strong man.

I'm sure you'd rather be where you are than homeless even if you were earning €40 an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Google?

I have seen that woman regularly. She appears homeless. There may be valid reasons she stays close to the hospital. I would imagine she, like many homeless, have a difficult life.

I wouldn't myself call her a bint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

If it's the university hospital you're talking about I live there and I know that woman, she's not well. Given the 24 shop, near constant traffic etc it's a relatively safe place to sleep rough. She had been sleeping in a covered area of pavement til it got closed off a few months back as well and I suppose she sticks to places she knows.

I've never seen her drinking or drunk, never seen her be aggressive to anyone and believe you me she sleeps rough in all weather, I doubt it's for the thrill of it. She's a nice woman based on my experience of talking to her but has problems. She's not a bint at all.

Advertisement