Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless in the city centre

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I don't mean bint in any derogatory fashion. It's a common word for woman in Scotland. Perhaps a little coarse but I am a bit coarse.

I suspect those boys at forster court are there for the money. It's a prime location and it is not common for the homeless to be so public and to be there all day. Most homeless spend the day looking for ways to get money. Those guys and the girl at the hospital have prime locations to bring in the cash. My 40 Euro is an estimate. Potentially doable and quite likely, a fiver here a few Euro there. These are high traffic areas, tourists/bus station traffic at the forster and hospital traffic at the Tesco. Every time I see them someone is giving something. It adds up quickly.

I'm not saying they are wrong, if they are homeless then fair play to them for working out a good location. You do what you have to do. Make no mistake though, there isn't a beggar in Ireland making less than minimum wage in a good spot. 2 Euro every fifteen minutes is a bad spot. A good spot will be 40 an hour easy. Depends on your look, your story and if you have a dog etc.

Cold. They have nice sleeping bags, they also have duvets. A layer of cardboard is an amazing insulator from cold concrete, then a duvet, bag, duvet.

You'll die of cold if you don't eat but if you are getting fed then you generate your own heat. Cold is more of an issue to alcoholics and drug addicts as they don't eat.

Don't get me wrong, homelessness is not funny, it is dangerous but mostly people make it that way, not weather etc. Humans are pretty hardy when the chips are down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

FortySeven wrote: »
    Cold is not much issue when you are homeless, people are the danger. You don't stay in one spot long and you certainly don't lounge in your bed all day. Same as the bint opposite the hospital. Prime begging spot without begging.

She's not homeless, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

When I used to be in Dublin regularly a few years ago, I used to be shocked by the homelessness up there. In the evenings I would approach 1 or 2 and ask if they wanted some food. They always said YES. I'd get them whatever was handy with a tea. Always gratefully accepted.

Was walking up Quay St last night and a homeless guy just down from McDonagh's quite loudly shouted "Any spare change for a cup of tea". Was a bit put off by it tbh and just walked past. Went up the road, got him a tea and brought it back to him. He was damn glad to get it and kept thanking us.

I do believe that a lot of homelessness in Galway is genuine, even if people are picking 'prime' spots to beg.

Where the rest of us lose faith is the out-right scammers. There was a guy/girl duo during the summer who'd mainly do the rounds down West / Wole Tone who would aggressively beg... they weren't homeless and it was quite obvious. They were just scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Horrible to hear that people actively doing harm to the homeless is a bigger danger than the weather. You'd feel for the craythurs enough if it was just the weather and things like food and hygiene they'd to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

JohnCleary wrote: »
    When I used to be in Dublin regularly a few years ago, I used to be shocked by the homelessness up there. In the evenings I would approach 1 or 2 and ask if they wanted some food. They always said YES. I'd get them whatever was handy with a tea. Always gratefully accepted.

Was walking up Quay St last night and a homeless guy just down from McDonagh's quite loudly shouted "Any spare change for a cup of tea". Was a bit put off by it tbh and just walked past. Went up the road, got him a tea and brought it back to him. He was damn glad to get it and kept thanking us.

I do believe that a lot of homelessness in Galway is genuine, even if people are picking 'prime' spots to beg.

Where the rest of us lose faith is the out-right scammers. There was a guy/girl duo during the summer who'd mainly do the rounds down West / Wole Tone who would aggressively beg... they weren't homeless and it was quite obvious. They were just scum.

Ya those two/three were junkies of some description and do give a bad name to those in genuine need.

• Advertisement

Horrible to hear that people actively doing harm to the homeless is a bigger danger than the weather. You'd feel for the craythurs enough if it was just the weather and things like food and hygiene they'd to worry about.

I once woke up to a drunk fella pissing on my head and laughing with his mates laughing behind him. I once woke whilst getting kicks wellied into me for being in another fellas spot. I once found a cricket ground out of the way and had covered stands. A good spot until some skanger smashed in a door, I heard it and went to see what was going on, he was robbing the payphone inside and when he saw me he came at me with a screwdriver then ran off. I had to get my stuff so it was me that was arrested. I've woken up many times with someone going through my stuff.

Sleeping in public is about as dangerous as it gets. A lot of people are scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I don't know about these fellas but I know for a fact buskers in prominent spots would be making that sort of money on even reasonably busy nights (i.e. Thursday to Sunday nights most weeks).

Each? I disagree, knowing buskers who busk solo and with the 'crowd draw' groups. They *can* make that sometimes in the summer but not in winter or consistently by a long shot.

There are homeless people in on Shop Street now. Walking down there last night, I saw one that I had seen previously in Eyre Square.

Ya those two/three were junkies of some description and do give a bad name to those in genuine need.
    Yeah I'm fairly sure these two are addicts. But isn't that in itself a whole other set of problems (I don't know how they got there) on a human level?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kerryguy78

You reading all these posts, those of us lucky to have a home sometimes take it for granted. Here is a suggestion, I read before it costs the state €98k to keep one prisoner on the E wing in portlaoise prison. Why not stop spending so much money on them scum bags to help the homeless.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

So many keyboard warriors on high horses

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

less of the non-constructive posting please

inisboffin wrote: »
    Each? I disagree, knowing buskers who busk solo and with the 'crowd draw' groups. They *can* make that sometimes in the summer but not in winter or consistently by a long shot.

I houseshared with two "professional" buskers at one point in the past. They used to do very long busks, taking turns to hold spots etc and used to do very well.

When busking alone it wouldn't uncommon for one to come home with around 100 euro from a 3-4 hour busk. One was only on the minimum dole 100 a week and was paying most of that in rent so the busking was funding the rest of his life really.

I houseshared with two "professional" buskers at one point in the past. They used to do very long busks, taking turns to hold spots etc and used to do very well.

When busking alone it wouldn't uncommon for one to come home with around 100 euro from a 3-4 hour busk. One was only on the minimum dole 100 a week and was paying most of that in rent so the busking was funding the rest of his life really.

Fair enough, but what you're describing there is 25-33 an hour for a professional busker that knows the game,
    tops. And you'll know then that the income is way different in winter and is completely at the mercy of weather etc. Even if people have shelter, the 'stroller' tips disappear in the lashings of rain. Some of those same rules would apply to any kind of 'donating' I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Busiking and passive begging are two very different games.

The only ones who know what the lads in the prime positions (very visible, on the pedestrian route of soft-hearted people) take are the lads themselves. What I've seen makes me think it's not insignificant, especially in the really good spots. I can certainly think of easier and safer ways to make a living - but they're not options for everyone

I'm a very strong advocate of never giving any cash to them (or any other street beggar) directly: if you're moved by their plight, give a donation to Cope or Simon. Or take them to a shop and buy them what they want (limited to item they can't return for cash once you're gone).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,639 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Give them food and hot drinks. Personally I'd rather do that than give to a charity and you don't know how much of that actually filters down to the homeless. I have little trust in mainstream charities after all the scandals.

I'm not sure what is available in Galway but when I was homeless in Inverness back in the early to mid 90s there was no issue getting fed. Soup kitchens and mobile vans were always around through various charitable organisations. I was never hungry. 3 decent meals a day. All for free and well utilised. It didn't take long to know when and where I could get a meal. I'm sure the same will be available in Galway. There are a few different charities working the streets.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Some posts removed after mod warning above, people acting the maggot may be removed from this thread in future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Busiking and passive begging are two very different games.

The only ones who know what the lads in the prime positions (very visible, on the pedestrian route of soft-hearted people) take are the lads themselves. What I've seen makes me think it's not insignificant, especially in the really good spots. I can certainly think of easier and safer ways to make a living - but they're not options for everyone

I'm a very strong advocate of never giving any cash to them (or any other street beggar) directly: if you're moved by their plight, give a donation to Cope or Simon. Or take them to a shop and buy them what they want (limited to item they can't return for cash once you're gone).

Bringing homeless people to a shop to buy what they want is an extraordinary kind gesture. But what kind of stuff are you suggesting to buy?

Good question re the soup kitchen. I don't think there are any? I know twists (?) used to be located down the Docks or else in the vicinity but shut it's doors a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

JohnCleary wrote: »
    She's not homeless, though.

+1. She's there for the money, constantly begging around the area. Prime spot with huge footfall. She has a house not too far away. If it gets too cold she'll toddle off home. Disgraceful stuff and takes away from the needs of the real genuine cases.

As stated above the most genuine cases tend to stay relatively hidden during the evening and the nights. Prime spots for them are safe places, not places with large footfall
    Good question re the soup kitchen. I don't think there are any? I know twists (?) used to be located down the Docks or else in the vicinity but shut it's doors a few years ago.

There is a mobile soup kitchen run by local churches on Monday and Thursday nights near the fairgreen hostel. They are also giving out shoeboxes and gift bags to the homeless with various necessities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭Milly33

Very sad to see this happening all over Ireland.. I know it is quite sicking in Cork seeing what little the council or doing to help out the homeless... Its just to difficult i suppose to address the situation..Is there no penny diners or anything like that in Galway city..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

A thought-provoking article on the subject of homelessness in the Irish Times http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/the-invisible-people-who-live-very-public-lives-on-our-streets-1.2882045.

And another heartbreaking story about the treatment of a homeless person http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dublin-woman-challenges-mcdonalds-to-explain-heartbreaking-treatment-of-homeless-man-766152.html. This is an example of what homeless people are up against folks, something we should all bear in mind before we pass judgement on anyone unfortunate enough to be in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 newslou

This group was set up because of the issues raised in the very first post of the thread, we have already done a lot of work in raising awareness and helping the homeless in Galway.
    If you are interested in coming together to do one small thing to alleviate the housing crisis in Galway; our next meeting is on Wednesday the 14th December at 7.30pm, it will be in a city centre venue and EVERYONE is welcome. Please keep an eye on this Facebook Page morehousesplease for details of venue or e-mail <no mails allowed, use FB page> for further information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Begging was mentioned in this post.

Has anyone had a young girl/teenager approach them with a sponsorship card? I got stopped last weekend asking me to sponsor her. I'm almost sure i was stopped by her last year as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Saw the ones sleeping in the shelter in Salthill the other day, same guy was sleeping in barna woods and silver strand over the summer. I find it hard to have sympathy for some to be honest. They attitude and actions leave a lot to be desired.

One thing though if they were travellers they would be moved on but currently you cant say boo diddly about the homeless situation or your seen as discriminatory

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Saw the ones sleeping in the shelter in Salthill the other day, same guy was sleeping in barna woods and silver strand over the summer. I find it hard to have sympathy for some to be honest. They attitude and actions leave a lot to be desired.
    One thing though if they were travellers they would be moved on but currently you cant say boo diddly about the homeless situation or your seen as discriminatory
    Where do you think a homeless person should go?
    If the shelters are full or undesirable, what next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »

Most likely the same place most people think Travellers should go .... melted into the ether.

http://connachttribune.ie/cope-galway-provides-additional-winter-beds-for-rough-sleepers-211/

So 14 beds were announced, and why was I not surprised to see the stuff littering Forster st?.

I've had my doubts about their motives from day one and considering more beds opened they have no reason to be there.

In fact the main issue for most in securing a bed is turning up too late or drunk. One of those two just sits there at times so I don't see how he couldn't get a bed between the two places.

The council should come along and dump all the stuff left there, I don't see any homeless in Dublin leave there rubbish and stuff in the one spot and head off for the day.

It diminishes the area and if they want to stay there they should at least have to take their stuff within them.
    snubbleste wrote: »

Personally speaking I think I'd find somewhere AWAY from the exposed ocean... would seem like common sense really.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

http://connachttribune.ie/cope-galway-provides-additional-winter-beds-for-rough-sleepers-211/
    So 14 beds were announced, and why was I not surprised to see the stuff littering Forster st?.
    Do you not realise that some people will not go to a hostel/shelter, regardless.
    and everyone wants to live beside the sea.

Advertisement