Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless in the city centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Inis Mór house sold to raise funds for homeless charities.

000d512d-800.jpg

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1216/839421-inis-mor-house-sale-homeless-charities/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Saw the ones sleeping in the shelter in Salthill the other day, same guy was sleeping in barna woods and silver strand over the summer. I find it hard to have sympathy for some to be honest. They attitude and actions leave a lot to be desired.

One thing though if they were travellers they would be moved on but currently you cant say boo diddly about the homeless situation or your seen as discriminatory

I think I know the one you might be talking about. If it's the one I'm talking about, then he's just an individual who supposedly just went through a lot in their lives and fell through the cracks.

To be totally honest, I'm beginning to suspect the ones on Forster Street are there for different motives. I dropped some clothes I was going to give to charity anyway by them - he barely even looked at me, with his headphones in his ears on his smartphone, and didn't even say thank you.

Now - I wasn't expecting a thank you, but you'd think someone who sleeps rough would appreciate seeing a relatively warm jumper and pairs of pants being given to them.

And not to mention the rubbish - as someone else mentioned - you don't really see the space around a homeless person's patch being littered - they actually do take care of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Stuff has been removed from at least one spot around the city: I saw a representative of the the property owner talking to the community warden about it the day before it was gone. Don't know who removed it. Don't know about other spots.

Went past Forster st about 4pm today: the lads and their stuff were gone.

Also walked past the Franciscian church last night a bit after midnight, and there was no sign of the four people who slept outside it on Thursday night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Also walked past the Franciscian church last night a bit after midnight, and there was no sign of the four people who slept outside it on Thursday night.
    Are you suggesting they have been eliminated :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Most likely the same place most people think Travellers should go .... melted into the ether.

What a cruel and unfeeling thing to say.

bobbyss wrote: »
    What a cruel and unfeeling thing to say.

So what do you think most people mean when they say that Travellers should be moved on from wherever they have halted????

We regularly see people in the media, both city/county councillors and regular joe-public, expressing options that the council should move them on - no one ever says where to.

So what do you think most people mean when they say that Travellers should be moved on from wherever they have halted????

We regularly see people in the media, both city/county councillors and regular joe-public, expressing options that the council should move them on - no one ever says where to.

The phrase 'melted into the ether' resonates very, very negatively. It has connotations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

think forster court hotel is reopening soon probably owner starting to clear it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The phrase 'melted into the ether' resonates very, very negatively. It has connotations.

What, that the City Council is going to round them all up and have them gassed? I'm not sure how you arrived at that point, it was pretty obvious that she was just reflecting the fact that everyone wants them moved on, but the frank truth is that in most cases there is nowhere to actually move them to, so it boils down to 'not on my patch'.

• Advertisement

What, that the City Council is going to round them all up and have them gassed? I'm not sure how you arrived at that point, it was pretty obvious that she was just reflecting the fact that everyone wants them moved on, but the frank truth is that in most cases there is nowhere to actually move them to, so it boils down to 'not on my patch'.

Way too literal an interpretation.
    If we are talking about Travellers/ Gypsies melting into the ether these connotations don't sit well with me. And I don't think it's a phrase that would go down well with Pavee Point either. I don't think it's ok to say something like that about a group of people. I really don't. What has informed it? I don't think Mrs would get a job with the diplomatic corps.

If we are talking about Travellers/ Gypsies melting into the ether these connotations don't sit well with me. And I don't think it's a phrase that would go down well with Pavee Point either. I don't think it's ok to say something like that about a group of people. I really don't. What has informed it? I don't think Mrs would get a job with the diplomatic corps.

Nothing goes down well with Pavee point except special treatment for travellers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Nothing goes down well with Pavee point except special treatment for travellers.

They are a advocacy group so it's their job, one that they do exceptional well. Some posters here Could do with linking in with them n some homeless charities n find out what exactly happens on the ground floor. I think it would open eyes n posters would come back with a completely different opinion. More volunteers the better esp this time of year

I don't think it's OK either. I would have thought that was pretty obvious from my post.

But I do believe that it's what a good proportion of people genuinely do believe. Superficially, everyone wants to help rough-sleepers and homeless families. But no one wants to take one as a house-mate. Superficially everyone wants more social housing. But no one wants the council to provide social housing in their complex / street / estate / suburb / area. And once it starts getting allocated to people, all the "free house" bitching starts. Most people would prefer if people with mental health and substance-abuse issues, and people who cannot afford to buy their own houses, simply vanished out of sight.

I don't think it's OK either. I would have thought that was pretty obvious from my post.

But I do believe that it's what a good proportion of people genuinely do believe. Superficially, everyone wants to help rough-sleepers and homeless families. But no one wants to take one as a house-mate. Superficially everyone wants more social housing. But no one wants the council to provide social housing in their complex / street / estate / suburb / area. And once it starts getting allocated to people, all the "free house" bitching starts. Most people would prefer if people with mental health and substance-abuse issues, and people who cannot afford to buy their own houses, simply vanished out of sight.

I see. I have no statistics but I think most people don't feel like that at all. Perceptions of people who have mental health issues has changed hugely in the last number of years. People are more open and talk about stuff now. What would the attitude of people in your work or extended family community to a member with mental health issues? Would they want them vanished out of sight or would they have a more understanding approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You need to have walked in those shoes to fully understand, while it has become a lot less taboo in recent times, unfortunately there is still an element of, "If we don't talk about it, it will go away".

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭IBrows89

I've seen these two on Foster Street a lot recent;y as well, crowds of people passing them on their way into town and they were only talking to each other or watching something on their phone//tablet with head phones in. I wasn't able to see if they were actually looking for money though. Maybe they just want to stay out of trouble and stay where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

They've moved to the top of Clare's Walk (walkway next to the library), the sheltered bit, but they'll get some wind coming through there.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

They've moved to the top of Clare's Walk (walkway next to the library), the sheltered bit, but they'll get some wind coming through there.

Surely one of the multistorey car parks would be best bet if no other place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

youngrun wrote: »
    Surely one of the multistorey car parks would be best bet if no other place to go.

What car park would let them stay? These guys are pros, they know where they can and can't go.

• Advertisement

What car park would let them stay? These guys are pros, they know where they can and can't go.

Have you ever spoke to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Yeah i park in car parks most days. Why?

Why? Have you?

Why? Have you?

Yes

Yes

Well done?

have seen a few lads sleeping in jurys car park from time to time doubt they are let stay but i guess if you can get in undetected it might be a decent place to shelter and sleep

There's no such job as a professional homeless person. How do you know where they can or can't go without talking to them? Talking doesn't include typing on a keyboard

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

There's no such job as a professional homeless person. How do you know where they can or can't go without talking to them? Talking doesn't include typing on a keyboard

Well said. A lot of ignorance been posted on here.

Good to see homelessness getting a lot of press recently in spite of the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Indeed, he should be cooking stuff in his imaginary kitchen.

I think that's one of the major problems with homelessness.

Even if you do manage to get together a small bit of money its very hard to spend it wisely.

Most homeless will survive off expensive fast food from change collected because they have nowhere to cook.

If they do want to pay for accommodation they need to rent expensive hostels and can't get enough money for a house share. And no one is going to want a currently homeless person to move into a house share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Yesterday around 5pm I saw two people sheltered in the doorway of a building on the corner opposite the bus station. One was eating a meal from a proper plate and bowl, perhaps from a mobile soup kitchen. He had gear you'd associate with sleeping rough, eg sleeping bag, mat & cardboard. Existing on a very small income myself, I offered him what I could afford and he very gratefully accepted. I moved on to the other person who was lying in a sleeping bag fiddling with what appeared to be a phone or tablet and he didn't appear to have any other possessions. I offered him some money too which he accepted. I'm convinced the first chap is genuinely homeless but I'm not sure about the second guy. I'm beginning to wonder if he's maybe a professional beggar pretending to be homeless. Of course I could be 100% wrong and the man might be in very dire straits.

Advertisement