Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Suburbs Advice

Options
  • 13-11-2016 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,
    I'll hopefully be going to either UCD or DCU Glasnevin campus next year.
    With inner city rent the way it is, I was looking at living in a suburb. Things I'm taking into consideration are rent, public transport, safety etc.

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I would imagine it'll be more expensive around UCD than DCU, southside prices seem to be well above northside. Neither university are in the inner city though so if you looked close enough to the universities themselves it could be your best bet.

DCU you have Glasnevin, Drumcondra, Northwood, Santry, Swords all reasonably near by. I'm less familiar with the areas around UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Accommodation around UCD is hard to find and expensive. If you are happy to commute, you could would have more options somewhere along the 39A/46A/145 bus routes that run regularly to UCD.

There's more available and not as expensive around DCU, like Whitehall, Beaumont, Glasnevin, Santry, Drumcondra. They recently added more bus routes to DCU: https://www.dcu.ie/news/2016/oct/s1016j.shtml so you could go even further afield.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

1. What's your budget (ballpark)?
    2. Are you ideally looking to share or live alone?
    3. Are you familiar with Dublin?

UCD is in the center of a bunch of pricey areas. If you're lucky you can pick up a reasonable house share in one of the estates right beside it (Roebuck Castle for example) for somewhere around the 600-700 mark.

DCU is in a fairly cheap area. You want to do your research on where you're renting though as not everything around there is the nicest area & it's almost a textbook example of how people relabel addresses to get more rent (that said, neighbourhoods around there are big so not everywhere with a dodgy neighbourhood is actually in a dodgy area).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Ringsend could be an option for UCD the 47 bus goes from there, also Kimmage/Rialto as the 17 route goes from there to UCD. These would probably be cheaper options than nearer to UCD but both routes take a while to get there. Then there's the cost of public transport added in so you need to factor that into your costs, no point paying €100 less in rent if you pay that in public transport and take longer to get there.

Cycling is a cheaper option.

The 17 is pretty unreliable though. I wouldn't want to rely on it as my only way to/from college.

Ringsend is also quite pricey these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

L wrote: »
    The 17 is pretty unreliable though. I wouldn't want to rely on it as my only way to/from college.

Ringsend is also quite pricey these days.

When did you last use a 17? I'd heard it was much improved from when I last used it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

17A zooms from Blanchardstown frequently to DCU land. Actually not a bad option for commute as 38/39 go to UCD. Some non stop onto town.

When did you last use a 17? I'd heard it was much improved from when I last used it years ago.

I'd heard that myself but then I tried it again last year - it didn't show up. Same old 17 as far as I can see.

Advertisement