Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build above attached extension to side

Options
  • 14-11-2016 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hello.
    Looking for a rough price. A 3 bed semi house I'm looking at is built onto the side. You know the type, usually a garage to the side. This was actually built as a room for the house when built. It is just on the ground floor and about 8 metres in length, 3 m in width. It's stepped back from the front of the house by a metre and juts out the back about the same. It's a pitched roof.
    Assuming the foundations are ok to build up, I was looking for the best guess for to build on top of this. So, it would involve removing the roof, building up and re attaching the roof tiles again somehow. Was thinking of an ensuite bedroom with walk in wardrobe for the upstairs.
    Anyone done this or take a guess?
    I was assuming it would not be very expensive as no ground work and roof tiles already there.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

50k ballpark without drawings and detailed specification list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Johnnyq79 wrote: »
    Hello.
    Looking for a rough price. A 3 bed semi house I'm looking at is built onto the side. You know the type, usually a garage to the side. This was actually built as a room for the house when built. It is just on the ground floor and about 8 metres in length, 3 m in width. It's stepped back from the front of the house by a metre and juts out the back about the same. It's a pitched roof.
    Assuming the foundations are ok to build up, I was looking for the best guess for to build on top of this. So, it would involve removing the roof, building up and re attaching the roof tiles again somehow. Was thinking of an ensuite bedroom with walk in wardrobe for the upstairs.
    Anyone done this or take a guess?
    I was assuming it would not be very expensive as no ground work and roof tiles already there.

Big assumption to make without getting it examined. You also need to review if the walls are suitable for a second storey and you may need to install a band beam at first floor level to take the next storey of blockwork.

A single storey extension usually butts onto a wall so the number of tiles you will need will be far less than tying into the main roof so highly unlikely you have enough tiles. Lots of unknowns that you will need to check out as they will have an impact on the bottom line

Advertisement