Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter bib tights

Options
  • 14-11-2016 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭

I've got a voucher burning a hole in my pocket me fancy getting some decent winter bib tights.
    What would be people's preference, and why, between Castelli Sorpasso and nanoflex? Also how do people find the sizing?
    I think nanoflex might have slightly better water resistance, but both have good reviews
    I have a few items of Castelli gear and can't fault the quality so that's what I think I'll go for in tights unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Thanks in advance for suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Always go a bit bigger than you think with castelli. You can't go wrong with either the nano flex will be a bit better in the wet and also a bit warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If you really want to spend the voucher on bib tights then fire away.

My preference would be to get a decent pair of shorts and a decent pair of leg warmers - much more versatile. Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

+1 on the shorts and legs. A pair of nanoflex legs doesn't need washing as often as shorts, so they tend to be available when you need them. Also means that if you don't like bibs, you have some decent options; non-bib tights don't seem to be a common item.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

crosstownk wrote: »
    My preference would be to get a decent pair of shorts and a decent pair of leg warmers - much more versatile. Just my 2c.
    The only problem is that when it gets really cold the leg warmers don't protect your arse.

I have a pair of Assos winter bib tights that get used a few times a year but will probably last until I die. The rest of the winter I use Castelli leg warmers and whatever bib shorts are clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

I've got a voucher burning a hole in my pocket me fancy getting some decent winter bib tights.
    What would be people's preference, and why, between Castelli Sorpasso and nanoflex? Also how do people find the sizing?
    I think nanoflex might have slightly better water resistance, but both have good reviews
    I have a few items of Castelli gear and can't fault the quality so that's what I think I'll go for in tights unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Thanks in advance for suggestions

Just bought these today -

Gore Bike Wear Xenon 2.0 Softshell Bib Tights.

- 1/2 price sale on wiggle. Seem to get very good reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Not really voucher-able but I got a set of the top level B'twin bib tights which have a great chammy and non roubaix lycra with windstopper panels on the front of the thighs that I've found great for the current not super cold but with a chill breeze kind of weather we've had these last few months.

Have only done about 200km in them including a 115 yesterday but really happy with them so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Good choice!
    I have a pair for the last few years. Great tights and never let me down in deep cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I already have decent enough shorts and leg warmers but find this combo not quite warm enough when the temperature really dips down which is why I'm looking for tights.
    I have a couple of pairs without pads so I can wear them over my shorts but I'd rather get something just for winter. I'll look at the ones mentioned as I'm not restricted on where I can spend (only the amount!!). Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

<snip>with windstopper panels on the front of the thighs that I've found great for the current not super cold but with a chill breeze kind of weather we've had these last few months.

Those windstopper type panels around the thighs etc seem to be key for winter cycling, for me anyways.

I absolutely love my 2013 Aldi Pro winter long leg bibs, as seen here

They may not be pretty but they really do their job well. The pad is still OK for commuting but for a long spin I'd wear a proper pair of shorts under them. The fact they have a high back and front means that a simple enough base layer suffices too during proper winter.

Added bonus, and this is a personal preference, is the foot straps. I find it very convenient to just throw them on and pull them up without messing around with extra zips etc. It's hard enough sometimes to motivate oneself during winter to "get out there" and not having to think about what gear to wear and just pulling those bibs on makes it a whole lot easier.

OP, if you can find something similar, with the wind paneling thing going on, you'd be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Leg-warmers with shorts are faster than bib-tights. FACT.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

benneca1 wrote: »
    Always go a bit bigger than you think with castelli.
    i bought a pair of gist bib tights a month or two back, and they fit me like a glove. bought a set of windproof ones, same size, and they're clearly designed for someone with a torso an inch or two shorter. i assume the windproofing material has less give in it, but the difference is more than would account for that, i'd guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Lumen wrote: »
    The only problem is that when it gets really cold the leg warmers don't protect your arse.

I have a pair of Assos winter bib tights that get used a few times a year but will probably last until I die. The rest of the winter I use Castelli leg warmers and whatever bib shorts are clean.

I wear skins a400 tights under my bib shorts, and they do cover your arse, literally!
    They make no difference to comfort and are very tight fitting and warm. I find it a great combo, much prefer it over full length bib tights.

Advertisement