Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engine revving but not speeding up - 2011 1.4L Petrol Passat

• 14-11-2016 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭

So lads here is my issue;

I have a 2011 1.4L Petrol VW Passatt., just got its annual service 2 months ago.

In recent weeks the engine has started reving hard and high when trying to accelerate. For example on the M50 yesterday evening driving along in 6th gear at 100kph, tried to speed up to say 120 and engine revs up to 4000 revs and does not speed up at all.

What do you think? Ill drop it to a mechanic but curious to get a sense of what it could be.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Most likely new clutch time.
    What's the mileage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Yep that's your clutch slipping. Probably 4/500 to replace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Most likely new clutch time.
    What's the mileage?

Only about 55,000 miles/90,000KM.

Is the Clutch not likely to last longer than that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

bazermc wrote: »

Depends on several factors, driver, where and how much it's used etc.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Either 50% of people in Limerick city have autos or a lot of people spend a lot of time shuffling, slipping their clutches in traffic, holding the car on the clutch on slight hills etc.

Did you buy it new?
    Are you sure of the mileage?
    Do you drive a lot in traffic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Either 50% of people in Limerick city have autos or a lot of people spend a lot of time shuffling, slipping their clutches in traffic, holding the car on the clutch on slight hills etc.

Did you buy it new?
    Are you sure of the mileage?
    Do you drive a lot in traffic?

Limerick? LOL I am Dub!

I bought second hand last year and sure of the mileage - will double check when I get home
    I do a lot (actually all) city driving and now that I think of it I do tend to lean on the clutch a lot when I am driving

Limerick? LOL I am Dub!

LOL!!!! :grin::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:confused: I'm only answering based on my own experience lad. I don't think dub clutches are different to Limerick clutches in their construction though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

biko wrote: »

The spidometer in his kor... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The speedometer in his car

What about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Limerick? LOL I am Dub!

I bought second hand last year and sure of the mileage - will double check when I get home
    I do a lot (actually all) city driving and now that I think of it I do tend to lean on the clutch a lot when I am driving

I think you've just answered your own question. Unless using it don't put your foot anywhere near the clutch pedal. A little bit of continuous pressure on it is the best way to destroy a clutch in about 30 to 40% of it's normal expected life span.

Advertisement