Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 battery / repair issue

Options
  • 14-11-2016 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have an iPhone 5 that I bought from adverts. The phone had its battery and a new screen installed less than a year ago, and according to the seller, the phone has pretty much not been used.

However, upon checking the phone (using ibackup bot), it states the battery has 740 cycles, and is operating at 48% capacity? This didn't seem right to me, so I brought it back to the place where the repairs were done (i had the original receipt).

They got back to me on Saturday stating there was nothing wrong with the phone and it was ready for collection. I replied stating that there was obviously something wrong with the battery and that I would have to consider small claims procedure.

I picked it up this morning, where they stated they DID end up changing the battery.

However, upon checking, this battery's capacity is at 62%???

IMO they either a) never replaced the battery originally, or b) replaced it with an old / used part and c) doesn't appear they have put a brand new battery in again this time.

What do you guys think?

Would it be worth taking it elsewhere to have a new battery fitted, and ask them to ascertain if the battery in it was ever replaced / replaced with a new battery?

The fact is, I'm probably going to have to get a new battery put in it anyway, as 62% capacity is shocking.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Third party batteries are a lucky dip. They are either cheap Chinese knock offs (watch for the phone getting too hot) or used genuine. They are imported in bulk from china so sellers have no idea what they are and will bulls*t you if asked so there's no point complaining. I went through 3 of them in a year. Last time I bought a spare in anticipation of the first one failing, which it did. If you want a proper battery you have to go through Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Yeah, the 'new' battery they installed is now stating 56% capacity. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

Express tech on Baggot St are good for battery replacement. My replacement battery is at 97%.

Express tech on Baggot St are good for battery replacement. My replacement battery is at 97%.

Funny you should say that because that's the place that have allegedly replaced it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Compu b will replace batteries, at the same cost as apple. atleast it will be a new one! 0 cycles but you get what us pay for right. not sure what the cost is but I think around 79 euro

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Funny you should say that because that's the place that have allegedly replaced it twice.

I'm sure they did replace it, you just got a poor quality battery. I had a similar thought when my first replacement battery start failing and I replaced it myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

FYI I don't think can threaten the SCC, they had a contract with the adverts seller not yourself. If you wanted recourse you should have gone back to the seller for a refund.

ED E wrote: »
    FYI I don't think can threaten the SCC, they had a contract with the adverts seller not yourself. If you wanted recourse you should have gone back to the seller for a refund.

Not entirely sure either, but as there has been transfer of ownership of the device, there's probably a case that I am now the one with any interest in the device, not the original owner. Either way, doesnt matter now.

Advertisement