Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop HDD - SSD Cloning Issue

Options
  • 14-11-2016 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Just throwing this out here to see if anyone has any ideas.

In the past year I've cloned multiple laptop/desktop HDD to SSDs with no issue and it's been hailed as an excellent upgrade to any machine and rightly so but this weekend I ran into my first hiccup and I'm wondering if it's down to some underlying issue..

SSD is the new Crucial MX300 275GB.

The laptop I was doing the upgrade in was a cheapish Toshiba Satellite L50d 13P I think is the model, it's an AMD A8 chip in it.

I did the clone using Acronis, swapped out the old drive, put in the SSD and it booted up nice and quick, with everything seemingly working but after 2 or 3 minutes use the whole laptop becomes completely unresponsive.

Explorer will just freeze and ctrl+alt+delete will do nothing until a hard reset is forced.

I revert to the old HD and everything is fine..(thank god or i'd be shot)

I thought maybe settings in BIOS would have to be changed but it's a very basic BIOS and doesn't let you switch from AHCI/IDE which was a suggestion I saw somewhere.

What I want to know is, is it possible to do a fresh install of windows 10 on the SSD without buying another license? Or can a recovery USB be made from the existing windows license and used on a fresh install?

Or would it be some other underlying issue, a bad drive?

I'm going to test the drive out in my own laptop and see if it'll work any better later.

Essentially, just looking for advice.. I expected a simple swap of the drives but this wasn't to be this time!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Shlippery wrote: »
    What I want to know is, is it possible to do a fresh install of windows 10 on the SSD without buying another license?

If the old HDD had Win10 on it, then the license key is stored on the machine, so no need to buy another license. You can go ahead and do a clean install of Win10 on the SSD (if it works for you).

I can't really help with the other issues. I suppose it's possible the SSD is flaky, so testing it on your own machine should help rule that in or out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

If the old HDD had Win10 on it, then the license key is stored on the machine, so no need to buy another license. You can go ahead and do a clean install of Win10 on the SSD (if it works for you).

I can't really help with the other issues. I suppose it's possible the SSD is flaky, so testing it on your own machine should help rule that in or out.

Great, I was curious about that actually, and how the license thing worked. I knew in the past I had issues when replacing a motherboard in a machine, and wasn't sure what caused the issues!

Feel more confident now if I'll be able to try the fresh install.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Looks like you're not the only one with this type of issue.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Crucial-MX300-SDD-Windows-10-Freezing-HELP-ME/td-p/175140/page/3

A few suggestions on that thread suggest
    - BIOS settings, like changing the SATA drive settings from AHCI to IDE
    - Find an updated SATA driver for your laptops motherboard
    - Ensure your Windows power settings are on "high performance", ie. the
    HDD doesn't sleep after X minutes of inactivity
    etc.

regards,
    CD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Looks like you're not the only one with this type of issue.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Crucial-MX300-SDD-Windows-10-Freezing-HELP-ME/td-p/175140/page/3

A few suggestions on that thread suggest
    - BIOS settings, like changing the SATA drive settings from AHCI to IDE
    - Find an updated SATA driver for your laptops motherboard
    - Ensure your Windows power settings are on "high performance", ie. the
    HDD doesn't sleep after X minutes of inactivity
    etc.

regards,
    CD

Cheers for that - I had tried searching the crucial forums but evidently glossed over that one!

i'm hoping the fresh install will stop any issues! I won't have access to the laptop again til the weekend as the friend needed to use it for the week!

I wanted to try the ACHI to IDE thing but the Bios in this laptop is barebones - not a hint of a useful setting like that!

Very frustrating but I'm convinced I'll get it working yet!

I figured it'd be grand, I've done a good few Samsung EVO transplants, and Sandisk one's, so i thought I'd buy the MX300 to see what it was like..

I'll go with the advice so far, and will report back when the job is done if it's successful!

Advertisement