Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming build for teenage son

Options
  • 14-11-2016 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have a teenage son (13) who is looking to move from a laptop to a gaming PC. He doesn't do a lot of PC gaming (mostly PS4) at the minute as the graphics requirements for the games he wants to play (Call of Duty 3/GTA etc) are too much for his laptop to handle. I'd appreciate it if someone could recommend parts/suppliers as I want to get it ordered and delivered pre Xmas. Out of ignorance (and based on my son putting many many nvidia graphics cards in front of me) I'd lean towards this brand before the AMD.

1. What is your budget? €1,000 - 1,200

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming - latest titles as ideally I want to not have to upgrade this again for the next few years

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes (but would consider one of the alternative methods discussed in this forum if it would leave more funds to upgrade the GPU)

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 22-24" (but main focus is on the PC build)

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Maybe at some point but not initially

8. How can you pay? Credit Card/Laser/PayPal.

9. When are you purchasing? In the next 2-4 weeks

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? My first time doing this and he will be 'helping' me - I've looked at a few youtube videos and it looks do-able.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

You can get Windows trial for a year free. Just has a watermark.

Use pcpartpicker.co.uk for reference. It will block you picking incompatible parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭robbe

Thanks for that - makes sense (I assume it can be downloaded to a USB key to set up initially)?

Yes there is a post here In forum somewhere someone helpful will link it I'm on phone.

This is a quick rough draft all on Amazon.co.uk. Sorry no links.

Crucial MX300 275 GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive with 9.5 mm Adapter - Grey/Blue Crucial MX300 275 GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive wi...
    £60.40
    In stock
    Eligible for FREE UK Delivery

Seagate ST1000DM003 3.5 inch 1TB Barracuda Hard Drive Seagate ST1000DM003 3.5 inch 1TB Barracuda Hard Drive
    £42.50

be quiet! BN263 80 Plus Silver 500 W Pure Power 9 ATX Power Supply Unit - Black be quiet! BN263 80 Plus Silver 500 W Pure Power 9 ATX Power Supp...
    £62.99

NZXT S340 Mid Tower PC Case - White NZXT S340 Mid Tower PC Case - White
    £59.98

Crucial 8 GB Kit (4 GB x 2) DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) DIMM 288-Pin Memory Crucial 8 GB Kit (4 GB x 2) DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) DIMM 288-...
    £39.99
    In stock
    E

Core i5-6600K LGA1151 3.5 - 3.9 GHz CPU
    £219.99
    In stock

MSI Z170 A Pro Socket LGA1151 Max 64GB ATX MSI Z170 A Pro Socket LGA1151 Max 64GB ATX
    £91.30

CPU cooler say 30 ish. A coolermaster hyper EVO. Is say 30 ish.

Totals approx 700. That is without gpu. Needs a little more thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Given he's 13 I wouldn't lean too far into enthusiast parts and overclocking-orientated options, and the stock Intel cooler would be fine. I'd go with something like the following:

H170M Motherboard
    i7-6700 processor w/stock fan (comes with it)
    16GB DDR4 Ram (whatever speed is cheapest)
    GTX1060 6Gb Graphics Card
    450-500w Power Supply
    250GB SSD for OS + most commonly played games, and 1TB Hard Drive for storage/additional games
    24" 1080p Monitor

That should be all achievable at your budget and will last years with no difficulty - in 3 or 4 years you can swap out the graphics card but investing in a solid i7 now and 16GB of ram means swapping the graphics card would be the only thing you'd have to do over a lifespan that should last the best part of a decade.

Where to buy - Overclockers UK or Amazon would be my go to places. People recommend German-based MindFactory a lot but to save around €50-100 you have a much bigger pain in the ass if something needs to be returned/replaced/warranty issues, etc, so I personally avoid.

Thanks for the replies - I see the sense in staying clear of overclocking parts etc which might not be utilised. Re the fan that comes with the processor - can I ask if that's the case with just the i7 or if I were to go with an i5 6600 would there also be a stock fan with it? Given it will be a Santa present if I could achieve a decent standard slightly below budget even better - assume the i7 future proofs the system in a way that an i5 wouldn't? I had a quick look at the parts you referenced on mindfactory (I know you said steer clear but it's easier to find the particular part there somtimes compared to say Amazon despite it being in German...) and it comes in at around the €1k mark so you're bang on, I'll try amazon (you do use amazon.de?) and overclockers to see if their prices are within reason and report back.

Appreciate all the helpful advice!

Cheers

• Advertisement

As long as you don't buy a version labelled 'tray' (which is just the CPU) or a K series CPU (overclockable models), all Intel processors come with a stock Intel fan, which I've always found to be a good, reliable performer.

You could buy a better one like the EVO 212 (which will improve temperatures and slightly reduce noise) but in my experience the stock fan is fine for 95% of people - it's sufficient to keep the processor operating at safe temperatures levels and it's not very loud either.

It's far more important, especially in a first build, to ensure your chosen case has good airflow - eg. at least a decent intake fan in front, and an outtake on back, with more fans if desired. The stock fan is also a 10 second job to install (uses a push pin setup and can be removed/installed at will in the case), custom cooler requires more effort (backplate mounted behind motherboard with retaining clips/screws on top).

I chose the i7 because certain games now perform much better on i7 than i5, a situation only likely to become more common going forward and I'd assume you'd like this to last 6-7 years + without much tinkering required - by getting the i7 with 16GB ram, the only part that would need replacing during that time would be the graphics card, when deemed necessary.

Just make sure to get a reasonably decent power supply, it's a part that shouldn't be skimped on. Decent corsair, EVGA or XFX model around 450-500w @ €50-60 would be fine.

Thanks - I did wonder what the difference was between the various descriptions of CPU were! Would you have any recommendations on which case would fit the bill? General consensus seems to be buy the case on Amazon due to shipping prices, assume this is sensible advice? No requirement for any LEDs/other bells and whistles as the case will be sitting in a desk and won't be too visible......assuming it fits!

If you're on a budget the Gamemax Knight is pretty good, small money, comes with 4 fans and has a nice mix between functionality and looking good. Or else maybe Bitfenix Nova. Extreme budget - Gamemax Atom is also an excellent case for £20.

Mid range options, something like this, this, or this , or this - but it's really down to taste and preference in many cases.

Personally, this is hands down my favourite case at around the €100 mark, but if it's going to be tucked away under a desk, maybe not the best choice. There's so much choice really to chose from.

Built the spec below mainly on mindfactory and cross checked on partpicker to check for compatibility issues (there weren't any) - when I tried to post the product links it was quite messy (had a look at the parser script which looked beyond me....) - comes to €964 excl delivery. Any thoughts?

Motherboard ASRock H170A 82 (mindfactory)
    CPU Intel i7 6700 311 (mindfactory)
    Cooler
    GPU 6 GB Gigabyte GTX 1060 268 (mindfactory)
    RAM 2 x *GB Crucial DDR4 77 (mindfactory)
    SSD 250GB Samsung SSD 78 (mindfactory)
    HDD 1000GB WD 46 (mindfactory)
    Power 500W Bequiet power supply 68 (mindfactory)
    Case Game Max mid tower 34 (amazon.co.uk)

When I had a quick look down amazon.de for some of the parts I came across this

https://www.amazon.de/Megaport-i7-6700-GeForce-GTX1060-computer/dp/B0179LYWWY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1479387399&sr=8-5&keywords=intel+i7+6700

Its a pre-built PC with roughly the same spec as above only difference being no SSD but it does come with the windows os (no delivery to Ireland however) - price is €999 excl delivery so not too dissimilar to the above and doesn't in theory carry the same risk of components not working or me not being technically proficient enough to build the PC....anyone ever went down this road before?

Thanks for all the assistance btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

OP, if it is for a 13 year old I would suggest a suggestion sg13 case. Fits all the bits in, despite the size the mesh design means it doesn't have heat issues, looks great, and with the size (about the same as a shoe box) it would be easy for him to bring to a friends houses etc.

Got one a month or two back on my build and its a bloody fantastic little case. Also on the lower end price wise too, if I recall around €50

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply - had a look at the case - looks a bit wide for the space it will be slotting into - have more room for height than width.....given the spec of the build not sure he'll be allowed to move it anywhere there is a chance of dropping it!

Hi - just wondering if anyone has an opinion on the build/prices above (just your build really Terrorfirmer) and the pre-build linked? Would I be better off just pushing the button now or wait until cyber Monday to see if any of the parts I need are reduced? I also see that there is an option for around €5 on Mindfactory for a Service level gold (1 day shipping/6 month direct exchange) - has anyone ever used this? Lastly as I mentioned above I've never built a PC before, it seems pretty straightforward from the few videos I've watched - mindfactory offer a build service for €100 - for someone who hasn't ever built a system before how long would it take roughly?

Thanks for all the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Terrors build is fairly rock solid, as is that amazon one, which is really good value.

Id still recommend building it yourself, or letting the youngfella build it as a project, it seems cooler for him to build his own to his friends and he'll be a lot wiser for any upgrades etc.

Should take about 3 hours first time

The gold service thing is German only i believe, and not sure on cyber monday

Cheers - leaning towards self building though I agree that the Amazon pre-built system is pretty good value for the spec. 3 hours gives me some hope - I think I'll hang on until Monday and then order the parts rather than commit now and weep if come crucial part has its price slashed.........unlikely but it has happened to me before! I'll post here with any updates and possibly questions when I receive all the components.

Last question - does this build need a soundcard?

robbe wrote: »
    Hi - just wondering if anyone has an opinion on the build/prices above (just your build really Terrorfirmer) and the pre-build linked? Would I be better off just pushing the button now or wait until cyber Monday to see if any of the parts I need are reduced? I also see that there is an option for around €5 on Mindfactory for a Service level gold (1 day shipping/6 month direct exchange) - has anyone ever used this? Lastly as I mentioned above I've never built a PC before, it seems pretty straightforward from the few videos I've watched - mindfactory offer a build service for €100 - for someone who hasn't ever built a system before how long would it take roughly?

Thanks for all the help!

Well considering what date it is now. You may as well wait see if any price canges black Friday or cyber Monday. It's a toss up..

build yourself. You've been savvy enough picking the parts. I think you'll be fine.

You could get something like this save money https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00MMLUYVU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479467118&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=crucial+8gb+ddr4&dpPl=1&dpID=41iS9lUJ9nL&ref=plSrch# approx 30 euro instead of 77

Doesn't need a soundcard nope

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

I was using the stock cooler for a while and found that it was hindering performance when gaming might want to consider a CPU cooler! Amazon have a deal on at the minute https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CW-9060028-WW-Hydro-Liquid-Cooler/dp/B01FSMWFQG/ref=gbps_tit_m-8_d94e_add884f7?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=4d3ae7cf-3400-4f74-a439-6d7051a8d94e&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=161428031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=Q8149MR8WGFEQDKVJEY4 but you may get something better and cheaper come cyber Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

For lower cost coolers I found a lot of people said this was among the best, about €40 on Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/noctua-NH-L9i-Noctua-processor-cooler/dp/B009VCAJ7W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479582896&sr=8-1&keywords=noctua+nh+l9i - I've been using it on an i5 6600k and it seems to be doing great so far.

You'd have serious pressure on a CPU before the stock cooler is holding you back, without overclocking there's no need imo

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You'd have serious pressure on a CPU before the stock cooler is holding you back, without overclocking there's no need imo

IMO the one thing wrong with the Intel cooler is that the thermal paste on it might not make full contact with the CPU sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Built the spec below mainly on mindfactory and cross checked on partpicker to check for compatibility issues (there weren't any) - when I tried to post the product links it was quite messy (had a look at the parser script which looked beyond me....) - comes to €964 excl delivery. Any thoughts?

Motherboard ASRock H170A 82 (mindfactory)
    CPU Intel i7 6700 311 (mindfactory)
    Cooler
    GPU 6 GB Gigabyte GTX 1060 268 (mindfactory)
    RAM 2 x *GB Crucial DDR4 77 (mindfactory)
    SSD 250GB Samsung SSD 78 (mindfactory)
    HDD 1000GB WD 46 (mindfactory)
    Power 500W Bequiet power supply 68 (mindfactory)
    Case Game Max mid tower 34 (amazon.co.uk)

When I had a quick look down amazon.de for some of the parts I came across this

https://www.amazon.de/Megaport-i7-6700-GeForce-GTX1060-computer/dp/B0179LYWWY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1479387399&sr=8-5&keywords=intel+i7+6700

Its a pre-built PC with roughly the same spec as above only difference being no SSD but it does come with the windows os (no delivery to Ireland however) - price is €999 excl delivery so not too dissimilar to the above and doesn't in theory carry the same risk of components not working or me not being technically proficient enough to build the PC....anyone ever went down this road before?

Thanks for all the assistance btw.

The pc robbe was looking at on amazon.de is a fantastic build for the price but its saying for me it wont deliver to ireland..is their any way around this anyone know? here is the link to the pc https://www.amazon.de/Megaport-i7-6700-GeForce-GTX1060-computer/dp/B0179LYWWY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1479387399&sr=8-5&keywords=intel+i7+6700

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    The pc robbe was looking at on amazon.de is a fantastic build for the price but its saying for me it wont deliver to ireland..is their any way around this anyone know? here is the link to the pc https://www.amazon.de/Megaport-i7-6700-GeForce-GTX1060-computer/dp/B0179LYWWY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1479387399&sr=8-5&keywords=intel+i7+6700

Www.Mailboxe.de

Can't say that's spelt right or cheap but will get you a great price regardless

Thanks Ster, couldn't find it so made a guess

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Last question - does this build need a soundcard?

Nope a sound card isnt needed but I have one piece of advice. Get a 2TB hard drive instead of 1TB, SSD will be fine but you would be suprised how quick a 1TB drive fills up with games. I know because my 13 YO nephew needed to get a bigger drive after a few months in the PC i built him.

Other than that the suggested PC is perfect.

Quick update on where I am with the build - ordered most of the components from Mindfactory with the exception of the SSD (thanks to this forum I managed to get the 750gb Crucial SSD and dispensed with the HDD - worked out around the same price as my originally planned 250gb SSD and 1tb HDD albeit with less storage).

Now left to order a monitor/case which I'm probably going to source via amazon - was having a look there and leaning towards a Benq 21" but notice that most of them don't have speakers - any advice on a decent budget speaker and whether they normally come with speakers?

Thanks for all your assistance on this btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Monitor speakers are always bad.
    Just get a cheap USB powered set at purchasing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Speakers on monitors are generally garbage so i would pick up a set from amazon if your getting the case there.
    Something like these or spend a few quid more depending on budget.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-LS11-Stereo-Speaker-System/dp/B001G3U4LU/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1480325454&sr=1-3

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input - I'll go for a monitor with no speakers so, makes it much easier. There is a bluetooth speaker lurking around the house, not sure if it can also connect via usb but this could be used as well I imagine. Another question re the build - to get a bluetooth connection (for why I don't yet know but maybe phone synching etc) would I need to get a bluetooth card? Anyone bothered with this on a desktop build which will just be used for gaming?

Advertisement