Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming build for teenage son

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

You can get a usb bluetooth key but i'd just use a cable for the phone.Bluetooth not needed in a gaming build imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭robbe

Hi again,

Last piece of puzzle and unfortunately I am asking for more advice - the case.......I am a bit restricted in the dimensions the desk (Ikea Micke) where the PC will sit can accomodate (25cm width x 59cm height x 45cm depth). A lot (if not all) of the mid-tower cases which were suggested (thx) might be a bit of a tight squeeze - however I am conscious that going for a smaller case might make a first time build trickier - any suggestions for a budget (as the case will be out of sight I don't see the need in spending loads) case which is on the smaller size but still decent? I did happen across the one below (Thermaltake) and the reviews seem ok - any opinions?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/9g2/Thermaltake-Versa-M-ATX-Gaming-Window-Black-Interior/B00UNJRG78/ref=pd_vtph_147_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9WDXDMCECQBKR9NHX7TT

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CC-9011086-WW-Windowed-Mini-ITX-Computer/dp/B01550Y9GA/ref=sr_1_15?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1479141927&sr=1-15&keywords=corsair+case

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

robbe wrote: »
    Hi again,

Last piece of puzzle and unfortunately I am asking for more advice - the case.......I am a bit restricted in the dimensions the desk (Ikea Micke) where the PC will sit can accomodate (25cm width x 59cm height x 45cm depth). A lot (if not all) of the mid-tower cases which were suggested (thx) might be a bit of a tight squeeze - however I am conscious that going for a smaller case might make a first time build trickier - any suggestions for a budget (as the case will be out of sight I don't see the need in spending loads) case which is on the smaller size but still decent? I did happen across the one below (Thermaltake) and the reviews seem ok - any opinions?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/9g2/Thermaltake-Versa-M-ATX-Gaming-Window-Black-Interior/B00UNJRG78/ref=pd_vtph_147_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9WDXDMCECQBKR9NHX7TT

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CC-9011086-WW-Windowed-Mini-ITX-Computer/dp/B01550Y9GA/ref=sr_1_15?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1479141927&sr=1-15&keywords=corsair+case
    My dad's friend built in a Versa H15, it seems room enough.

It's not "small" though.
    Get a tape measure to check your dimensions (allow space at the rear for cables) and then use the filters on Skinflint to find a case.

All parts for the build delivered in time for Xmas and thanks again to the many that assisted on here - christ knows what I would have ended up with if it weren't for your guidance.

This is quite probably one of the stupidest questions ever committed to boards but I'll ask anyway, the majority of the components came from mindfactory and that includes the PSU.....I didn't open the box but will there be a european plug on it which will need an adaptor or will i need to wire a plug onto it myself (hangs head)........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

robbe wrote: »
    All parts for the build delivered in time for Xmas and thanks again to the many that assisted on here - christ knows what I would have ended up with if it weren't for your guidance.

This is quite probably one of the stupidest questions ever committed to boards but I'll ask anyway, the majority of the components came from mindfactory and that includes the PSU.....I didn't open the box but will there be a european plug on it which will need an adaptor or will i need to wire a plug onto it myself (hangs head)........
    The PSU I got from Amazon (.co.uk) was basically in ready-to-go order, though being a European website you might be getting an EU socket alright. Wouldn't be sure, but I'll also suggest popping down to a local computer shop - I'd imagine it's a pretty quick/easy fix for someone with more experience to do a switcharoo (complete guess, I knew feck all about electronics).

If you're really stuck there's a small computer shop in Rathfarnham about 100m from Nutgrove (assuming you're in Dublin) called MicroPro that do lots of random bits and bobs and likely have PSUs too - their after sales service is also excellent - 01 493 0514 . Just throwing it out there in case you need/decide to get a new PSU, definitely wouldn't be risking ordering one online this close to Christmas!

Otherwise short term, maybe an EU-to-UK/Ireland adapter might do the trick?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the response

this is the PSU I ordered

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/500-Watt-be-quiet--Pure-Power-9-Modular-80--Silver_1032107.html

Anyone familiar with this/previously ordered from mindfactory and know what the craic is?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You'll just need a kettle lead.

Available in any 2 euro shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

RossieMan wrote: »
    You'll just need a kettle lead.

Available in any 2 euro shop.

Arf! You're right, completely forgot that! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Jesus Robbe this is longest running thread as far as I can remember( not a bad thing really) ya bollox.

Better post some pics of the final build. Or at least an update.

All will be revealed on Xmas day (I hope)! Will post some pics assuming my son and I get it built ok.....if I was for me it would be built already but as it's an Xmas (and birthday) present it is now in about 10 boxes waiting to be opened (do you know what it is yet..........) - as nothing will be opened until there aren't any shops open for a few days I didn't want to be missing the crucial bit that ordinarily would be no issue to get.

Cheers all!

• Advertisement

Quick update (no pics yet) - built on Stephen's day and all went fine bar a self inflicted moment which involved us turning on the PC for the first run (post fitting of graphics card as the monitor didn't have a compatible connection with the motherboard or at least one for which I had the correct lead) - nothing displaying on the monitor, looked at the quick start monitor instructions and didn't determine any issue....took out the graphics card, went to pc world, got a vga/dvi lead, reconnected with no graphics card, same story, reinserted graphics card and connected to monitor via hdmi, still nothing, some head scratching moments then decided to do what I should've done about an hour beforehand, connected my laptop to the monitor and couldn't get it to display, figured out that it didn't automatically select the input (unlabelled button on the bottom of the shagging thing) and viola - all working and a sigh of relief.

Installed windows 10 from a usb (bit of a pain in the hole as I couldn't create the usb on an old laptop I had so that took a bit of time) and a little while sorting out the drivers for the graphics card but nothing complicated.

All in all straightforward and I'd like to thank all those who've contributed to me having an extremely happy teenage son who is merrily gaming away at high framerates! Having done it once I would have no problem doing it again - don't think I would have attempted but for this forum which reassured me that it wasn't impossible so fair play all of ye!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Noice.

Advertisement