Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group B strep

Options
  • 14-11-2016 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

Has anyone looked into getting checked for this? I've heard so many sad stories lately and would like to get tested, but I understand they don't screen for it here in Ireland. Does anyone know how I could go about getting this done privately in Dublin? (I'm a public patient at Holles St)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Has anyone looked into getting checked for this? I've heard so many sad stories lately and would like to get tested, but I understand they don't screen for it here in Ireland. Does anyone know how I could go about getting this done privately in Dublin? (I'm a public patient at Holles St)

Thanks

Ask them- they have a study going at the moment. I was asked to participate when I was just sitting in waiting room about 4 weeks ago. I didn't test positive so I assume I'm done with that but they obviously needed people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Ask them- they have a study going at the moment. I was asked to participate when I was just sitting in waiting room about 4 weeks ago. I didn't test positive so I assume I'm done with that but they obviously needed people

Oh wow, thanks for that! I'm in on Wednesday so I'll ask then.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I had it and it was discovered when I was about 16 weeks, I'd been complaining of pain and they did some swabs and the results came back positive.

They don't screen for it as a matter of routine, but I think if you specifically request it they will. In fairness if you're going private, I'd nearly be insisting on it with the amount of money you're paying.

Edit: I misread your post I thought you were going private, sorry! I can't imagine them refusing you if you request it, but if they do I'd say your GP would be a good port of call, they may be able to do the test and if not they'd most likely be able to point you to somewhere that can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Thanks

I am having this done tomorrow, (i'll be 37 weeks), my family are know carriers. The consultant said it is done as routine between 35 - 37 weeks, its a vaginal swab that you do yourself and hand in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I'm in Limerick and they screen for it here at around 37 weeks. I was positive in my first pregnancy and even though I tested negative in my second pregnancy, they still gave me antibiotics in labour as a precaution. Positive for it again in this pregnancy. It's never caused me any concern but it's a bit of a pain because here, if you've ever had it, they like to keep you in for 48 hours after the labour.

My friend had it and ended up with a very quick labour so no time for antibiotics so her baby needed antibiotics at birth but he was perfectly ok.

I thought it was standard in Ireland? Such a simple test that can save some devastating results.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's not standard to test for GBS in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

January wrote: »
    It's not standard to test for GBS in Ireland.

Certainly not standard in holles street in my experience. Two babies on the public system and not mentioned once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

That's crazy! :eek: There's no continuity of maternity care in Ireland, it just seems to be the luck of the draw what services the local maternities provide. So my hospital does the GBS test but they don't do the 20 week scan that's done in most other hospitals. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

So I asked the consultant today and he said to ask my GP to do a swab when I'm 34-35 weeks.

Advertisement