Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a bike for an A license noobie

• 14-11-2016 3:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

I completed my IBT a few weeks ago on a Honda Hornet cb600f 2001. I liked it of course, as it was basically my first experience on a bike. Being a noob I didn't like having no petrol gauge or visual indication as to what gear I was in, the latter I could live without, the the petrol gauge I think I'd like.

I have a nice little Honda Innova 125 just to get some miles under me on two wheels.

I need something strong enough to do the A license test in 6 months approx. I'd be happy to spend about €3-4k. Naked bikes seem to suit me, but I'm open to any suggestions that would fit the bill. It's a new world for me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It is a whole new world. Best thing is go to a bike store and try sitting on a few different types and styles of bike. Some you will like, and some you won't. It's all personal taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Thanks Paul, any shops that you would recommend with a decent selection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Re: petrol gauge, just reset the trip meter every time you fill up and you'll soon be able to use it in place of a gauge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Re: petrol gauge, just reset the trip meter every time you fill up and you'll soon be able to use it in place of a gauge.

Balls get a bike with a petrol indicator it's a small thing but Christ remembering to reset the odometer every time is a pain in the crack.

Not worth it just get one that fits the bill.

listermint wrote: »
    Balls get a bike with a petrol indicator it's a small thing but Christ remembering to reset the odometer every time is a pain in the crack.

Not worth it just get one that fits the bill.

It's really not, it quickly becomes part of the filling routine. Mad think to overlook a particular bike for tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I would get the fastest bike you can afford. This is only slightly over budget. :pac:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/suzuki/gsx1300r-hayabusa/7678790/

They're great for touring, apparently.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Lumen she's a lovely bike, but definitely too much for me. I'm probably not massively into "racing" style bikes. I'd like to keep the cost down (insurance cost is a factor also).

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Someone will inevitably recommend getting a Bandit...

Don't, they're horrible bikes. Ancient technology, overweight and underpowered.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    It's really not, it quickly becomes part of the filling routine. Mad think to overlook a particular bike for tbh.

It really is. These things become common place as in expected. Why limit yourself to what you want the op specifically said he wanted it and has a reasonable budget. So get what he wants

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

It really isn't. Petrol gauges are ****e on bikes. :D

The idea of having a gauge is nice. The reality is much different.

• Advertisement

I like the look of the Yamaha fz6's, any thoughts? Assume the 600 cc will tick the powerful enough box for the A license test.

macplaxton wrote: »

Mine works just fine tbh. 2 seperate levels. empyish then flashy your nearly empty empty.

Settings clocks, yeah no thanks.

Praetorian wrote: »
    I like the look of the Yamaha fz6's, any thoughts? Assume the 600 cc will tick the powerful enough box for the A license test.

Solid bike, a favorite for beginners. Nice riding position and has some decent power.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

listermint wrote: »
    macplaxton wrote: »

Mine works just fine tbh. 2 seperate levels. empyish then flashy your nearly empty empty.

Settings clocks, yeah no thanks.

Just look inside the tank, most reialble way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If you are in Dublin go to the likes of JP Motorcycles, BikeWorld and Megabikes. They usually have good selections of 2nd hand bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

There are bikes without petrol gauges? What the? Guess it's only older bikes without? I'd be constantly worrying about it. I like my nice digital readout and flashing symbol to remind me. My bikes consumption is all over the shop depending on what I'm doing from terrible to great so I'd never know just by looking at trip meter. If one trip then easy to figure out but if multiple trips it quickly gets confusing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

BKtje wrote: »
    There are bikes without petrol gauges? What the? Guess it's only older bikes without? I'd be constantly worrying about it. I like my nice digital readout and flashing symbol to remind me. My bikes consumption is all over the shop depending on what I'm doing from terrible to great so I'd never know just by looking at trip meter. If one trip then easy to figure out but if multiple trips it quickly gets confusing!
    AFAIK bikes without a fuel gauge have a warning light and/or reserve switch which changes to a longer "straw" to suck the last couple of litres out of the tank.

Why do you need to know unless you're running out?

My sv hasn't got one but the fuel light flashes when it's low and then comes on constant when really low.

Thanks for the tips guys. Yes 2nd day doing my IBT, was motoring along at about 50mph on the Lusk to Skerries road, getting dark. I was in the lead position 4 bikes, me, instructor, other student, instructor, and my hornet starting chugging like crazy, no way I was going to find that reserve button whilst moving had to pull in. Of course I could get used to it, I wouldn't write off hornets either. There are some lovely examples for sale

http://www.adverts.ie/car/motorbikes/honda/2007-honda-hornet-cb600f-abs/11766830

http://www.adverts.ie/car/motorbikes/honda/honda-hornet-cb600f-2007-abs/11347141

http://www.adverts.ie/car/motorbikes/honda/honda-cb600f-hornet/11610010

I am going to take a Saturday and go to all of those shops and sit on some bikes. I assume like with cars, shops will let you take a spin if you bring your gear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Thanks for the tips guys. Yes 2nd day doing my IBT, was motoring along at about 50mph on the Lusk to Skerries road, getting dark. I was in the lead position 4 bikes, me, instructor, other student, instructor, and my hornet starting chugging like crazy, no way I was going to find that reserve button whilst moving had to pull in. Of course I could get used to it, I wouldn't write off hornets either. There are some lovely examples for sale

http://www.adverts.ie/car/motorbikes/honda/2007-honda-hornet-cb600f-abs/11766830

http://www.adverts.ie/car/motorbikes/honda/honda-hornet-cb600f-2007-abs/11347141

http://www.adverts.ie/car/motorbikes/honda/honda-cb600f-hornet/11610010

I am going to take a Saturday and go to all of those shops and sit on some bikes. I assume like with cars, shops will let you take a spin if you bring your gear?

I would do the same.
    Most shops won't let you take a spin though (especially with a learner permit).

This bike could be an alternative as well (comfy, good for touring/commuting):

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/suzuki-v-strom-at-jp-motorcycles/13902071

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/suzuki-v-strom-at-jp-motorcycles/13902071

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Why do you need to know unless you're running out?
    When my lown fuel indicator comes on there is generally about 90km left in the tank. There are areas where there is more than 90km before the next fill up and I'm the type to worry about that kind of thing :p

Apart from that it helps me plan my time better knowing how much I've left. Probably not the end of the world but something that would definitely annoy me!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

My ER5 has a gauge (its useless), funnily enough the ER6 doesn't have one. Backward step there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

and my hornet starting chugging like crazy, no way I was going to find that reserve button whilst moving

If it has a manual choke you can apply a little bit to stop the chugging until you can turn the tap to reserve. Then turn the choke off obviously.

FI bikes invariably have a low fuel light and no reserve tap.
    Mine has a gauge but I never look at it, it reads full for half the tank and then plummets for 20 miles, stabilises for a while and then the light goes on. I just hit the trip button on every fill like I've done on every other bike I've owned, most of them with no gauge.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement