Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No contract

Options
  • 14-11-2016 5:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi. Started new job in August. Was under the impression that it was a full time permanent position I was applying for. This was the case throughout the interview. Got the job then was told it was a three month contract. My contact expired last week. I've asked for a new one, and was told "we are working on it". So I'm working right now with no contract at all. Is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Legally it puts you in a pretty strong position if they keep paying you.

Don't sweat about it. Even if you're full time and permanent, you're usually still on probation for the first year anyways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

Legally it puts you in a pretty strong position if they keep paying you.

What do you mean by "strong position" ? I just want a bit of security really, with no contract at all couldn't they just let me go with no notice if they wanted to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Head Wreck wrote: »
    What do you mean by "strong position" ? I just want a bit of security really, with no contract at all couldn't they just let me go with no notice if they wanted to?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Head Wreck wrote: »

Even with a contract they can let you go for no reason while you're still on probation.

Without a contract, it's harder for them to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Even with a contract they can let you go for no reason while you're still on probation.

Without a contract, it's harder for them to do so.

Statutory minimum notice required to be given after 13 weeks of continuous employment up to 2 years is only one week.

Why is it harder for them without a contract in the first year of employment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

davo10 wrote: »
    Statutory minimum notice required to be given after 13 weeks of continuous employment up to 2 years is only one week.

Why is it harder for them without a contract in the first year of employment?

I the first year of employment a company can let an employee go for any reason.

However, as Mrs O'Bumble points out, if you don't receive a contract within a number of weeks ( I think it might be 2, but open to correction) you can be deemed permanent. However, I refer you to the first sentence above.

Advertisement