Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on first time insurance

Options
  • 14-11-2016 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi there, just passed my test 2 weeks ago and would like some advice on insurance for myself.

I got a few quotes but most are from €3000-6000! Best deal was with Boxymo for €1650 on a 2003 1.4 Focus.

Do any of ye have suggestions on first time insurance? Boxymo looks grand but I'm not fond of some company tracking where I go each day.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Your mistake is having a high powered 1.4..... Not high but anything over 1.0 is suicide when it comes to insurance.

Get a Micra or yaris get a year or 2 no claims and then move upwatds.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

The age of the car may also be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

inna981 wrote: »
    Hi there, just passed my test 2 weeks ago and would like some advice on insurance for myself.

I got a few quotes but most are from €3000-6000! Best deal was with Boxymo for €1650 on a 2003 1.4 Focus.

Do any of ye have suggestions on first time insurance? Boxymo looks grand but I'm not fond of some company tracking where I go each day.

Thanks!

Got mine with QuoteDevil, underwriter was Kennco, for 1800 on a 05 corolla. Thought it wasn't too bad considering (obviously still a hell of a lot of money). I had two yrs experience as a named driver too.

I also looked in to boxymo. My advice would be only use them as a last resort if there is genuinely no other option. They limit you to a certain number of kilometres per year, you need to buy 'add-on' km's for anything over the limit. I've also heard people say that the speed tracking isn't very reliable (not sure how true this is).

My only other advice would be to keep ringing around and don't forget to try brokers too. Gallivan Murphy Hooper Dolan in Killarney try their best to get a good deal for first time/younger drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

As a query....would driving as a named -driver on parents car for 3-4 years stand to you when applying for your own insurance??

I notice that there is no 'tick-box' for this kind of driving within the online quote system - its just 'How many years No Claims' do you have??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Masala wrote: »
    As a query....would driving as a named -driver on parents car for 3-4 years stand to you when applying for your own insurance??

I notice that there is no 'tick-box' for this kind of driving within the online quote system - its just 'How many years No Claims' do you have??

You need to earn your own no claims bonus, It's the main thing that will reduce your costs over the next few years.

As for been named on your parents policy, It's allowed providing you only use the car from time to time and your parents are still the main drivers, but it's illegal for you to drive your car,even if it's in their name (called fronting) and you dont earn a no claims bonus so it wont help with your insurance later.

It really is a case of biting the bullet for the first few years until you have a decent no claims bonus and using a 1L or less car under 10 years old helps a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 JtByrne

Skatedude wrote: »
    As for been named on your parents policy, It's allowed providing you only use the car from time to time and your parents are still the main drivers, but it's illegal for you to drive your car,even if it's in their name (called fronting) and you dont earn a no claims bonus so it wont help with your insurance later.

This is simply not true. If you are insured on your parents insurance policy, you can drive their car as much as you want. The car just has to be registered in one of your parents names. The risk of this is if you have a crash. If you do your parents may lose their no claims bonus (if it isnt protected).
    When you insured as a named driver on someone else's policy you don't build up a no claims bonus but some insurance companies do take this experience into account. I know KennCo insurance do anyways but I think others do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

JtByrne wrote: »
    This is simply not true. If you are insured on your parents insurance policy, you can drive their car as much as you want. The car just has to be registered in one of your parents names. The risk of this is if you have a crash. If you do your parents may lose their no claims bonus (if it isnt protected).
    When you insured as a named driver on someone else's policy you don't build up a no claims bonus but some insurance companies do take this experience into account. I know KennCo insurance do anyways but I think others do too.

If you are a named driver but drive the car more than the main driver does then that is fronting. And insurance companies take a very dim view of that.

If you are a named driver but drive the car more than the main driver does then that is fronting. And insurance companies take a very dim view of that.

Ya.... But you not gonna tell that's what you up to...are you???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ya.... But you not gonna tell that's what you up to...are you???????

Its when a claim happens that the problems arise.

I'm dealing with a case of fronting at the moment.

Dad had policy.

Son was registered owner and main user of car.

Car got stolen.

Claim declined as the policy holder has no insurable interest so son is out about €10k.

Policy force cancelled for breach in policy condition.

So the son is out €10k and the father has a forced cancellation on his record that has to be disclosed to any future insurer.

All because they tried to be clever and get cheaper insurance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Dad had policy.

Car got stolen.

Claim declined as the policy holder has no insurable interest so son is out about €10k.

So the son is out €10k and the father has a forced cancellation on his record that has to be disclosed to any future insurer.

How did you establish that the son was the main user? Just wondering.

• Advertisement

Dad had policy.

Car got stolen.

How did Dad get cover when he not the registered owner of car??? even in this case ...son is not gaining any no-claims experience as insurance in Dad name and he only a named driver.

They should tune into Judge Judy ....she is always going on about insurable interest!!

How did you establish that the son was the main user? Just wondering.

Both father and son admitted the fact to the claims investigator.

How did Dad get cover when he not the registered owner of car??? even in this case ...son is not gaining any no-claims experience as insurance in Dad name and he only a named driver.

They should tune into Judge Judy ....she is always going on about insurable interest!!

Dad had the policy for a number of years.

Young fella was added on as named driver.

Young fella bought the car and transferred his dads insurance onto it.

This is obviously clear cut but most fronting cases aren't as straight forward and are difficult to prove unless guilt is admitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

kerryked wrote: »
    Gallivan Murphy Hooper Dolan in Killarney try their best to get a good deal for first time/younger drivers.
    These guys have great reviews. worth checking them out. Kerry, thanks for the tip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Yeah god help them trying to get insurance cheaper, maybe if it wasn't so high to begin with you might not have these situations arising. :rolleyes: (that's not a pop at you BTW)

Either way, the young lad sounds like a right idiot, firstly admitting he owned the car and drove it as his daily driver but to actually put it in his name and then have his father insure it, that's void from the get go.

Advertisement