Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to cook rabbit?

• 14-11-2016 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Ok just wondering is it ok to eat rabbit if it has no signs of mexi on it's eyes? And the best way to cook it! As I got one this evening and it looks healthy! I eat other game but just wondering about rabbit. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055303455

Hit this link above, for the Game Recipes and Tips section of this forum.

As to preparing and cooking.................. have you got the evening free.
    Preparing and cooking rabbits every one has their preference. Couple of ways to gut, skin, to soak or not and then thousands of recipe's. The recipe and method of cooking will be up to your own preference and choice of food styles, but this little critter lends its self to many variations and styles of cooking. As always You Tube is your friend here, as is the likes of BBC Good Food webs sites.

But to start off gut the animal ASAP, ensuring the anus etc is removed and refrigerate and don't hang rabbits for as long as game birds. My go to favourite is still Southern Fried: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90296238&postcount=285

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

As to preparing and cooking.................. have you got the evening free. Preparing and cooking rabbits every one has their preference. Couple of ways to gut, skin, to soak or not and then thousands of recipe's. The recipe and method of cooking will be up to your own preference and choice of food styles, but this little critter lends its self to many variations and styles of cooking. As always You Tube is your friend here, as is the likes of BBC Good Food webs sites.

As to preparing and cooking.................. have you got the evening free. Preparing and cooking rabbits every one has their preference. Couple of ways to gut, skin, to soak or not and then thousands of recipe's. The recipe and method of cooking will be up to your own preference and choice of food styles, but this little critter lends its self to many variations and styles of cooking. As always You Tube is your friend here, as is the likes of BBC Good Food webs sites.

But to start off gut the animal ASAP, ensuring the anus etc is removed and refrigerate and don't hang rabbits for as long as game birds. My go to favourite is still Southern Fried:

Thanks muchly appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Hope you have it gutted by now.should be done as soon as possible.Skinning should be very easy on a rabbit.
    Cut into joints and fry until browned,along with onions and garlic.Throw in a small bit of liquid,and your flavour of choice (stock cubes,curry paste,white wine,whatever..)Throw in carrots,peas or whatever you fancy.Turn the heat down and simmer until the veg is soft and the meat comes away from the bone easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Hope you have it gutted by now.should be done as soon as possible.Skinning should be very easy on a rabbit.
    Cut into joints and fry until browned,along with onions and garlic.Throw in a small bit of liquid,and your flavour of choice (stock cubes,curry paste,white wine,whatever..)Throw in carrots,peas or whatever you fancy.Turn the heat down and simmer until the veg is soft and the meat comes away from the bone easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Just to add. It's perfectly fine to eat a mixxy rabbit. It's more mind over matter. Like a healthy rabbit looks a lot more edible than a Mixxy rabbit.

• Advertisement

I hope that's true! :)

zoe 3619 wrote:
    Hope you have it gutted by now.should be done as soon as possible.Skinning should be very easy on a rabbit. Cut into joints and fry until browned,along with onions and garlic.Throw in a small bit of liquid,and your flavour of choice (stock cubes,curry paste,white wine,whatever..)Throw in carrots,peas or whatever you fancy.Turn the heat down and simmer until the veg is soft and the meat comes away from the bone easily.

Does it dis taste the meat if you don't gut it as soon as you can? If so I can just give it to the cats and get another one hopefully and gut it straight away! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I always put in brine overnight. Some people recommend milk.

If you've only shot it today, then all is fine. Animals that eat grass etc will produce gasses very quickly causing swelling, if the digestive track is damaged then leakage can occur contaminating the edible meat. Rabbit meat will rot quicker than darker meat so requires chilling / quick consumption. Fecal matter left in the pelvic canal will quickly taint the surrounding meat. Be careful not to puncture the bladder and it is best practice to 'milk' the urine from the freshly killed animal (taking the p#ss, so to speak). I used to eat the offal but have stopped, just my own preference, but the heart, liver and kidneys went great with a rasher and egg. Remember that the liver contains the gall bladder and must be removed prior to use.
    Chill the bunny for 2-3 days and then cook away, if you check it now it should be in full rigour mortis, this needs to pass before you can enjoy the meat. If you can cook it be for rigour sets in then it's palatable. If your not able to get it cooked, wrap it up and freeze it.

If you've only shot it today, then all is fine. Animals that eat grass etc will produce gasses very quickly causing swelling, if the digestive track is damaged then leakage can occur contaminating the edible meat. Rabbit meat will rot quicker than darker meat so requires chilling / quick consumption. Fecal matter left in the pelvic canal will quickly taint the surrounding meat. Be careful not to puncture the bladder and it is best practice to 'milk' the urine from the freshly killed animal (taking the p#ss, so to speak). I used to eat the offal but have stopped, just my own preference, but the heart, liver and kidneys went great with a rasher and egg. Remember that the liver contains the gall bladder and must be removed prior to use. Chill the bunny for 2-3 days and then cook away, if you check it now it should be in full rigour mortis, this needs to pass before you can enjoy the meat. If you can cook it be for rigour sets in then it's palatable. If your not able to get it cooked, wrap it up and freeze it.

Thanks! I must try get another one and clean and gut it straight away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭Kat1170

If you've only shot it today, then all is fine. Animals that eat grass etc will produce gasses very quickly causing swelling, if the digestive track is damaged then leakage can occur contaminating the edible meat. Rabbit meat will rot quicker than darker meat so requires chilling / quick consumption. Fecal matter left in the pelvic canal will quickly taint the surrounding meat. Be careful not to puncture the bladder and it is best practice to 'milk' the urine from the freshly killed animal (taking the p#ss, so to speak). I used to eat the offal but have stopped, just my own preference, but the heart, liver and kidneys went great with a rasher and egg. Remember that the liver contains the gall bladder and must be removed prior to use.
    Chill the bunny for 2-3 days and then cook away, if you check it now it should be in full rigour mortis, this needs to pass before you can enjoy the meat. If you can cook it be for rigour sets in then it's palatable. If your not able to get it cooked, wrap it up and freeze it.

Ya learn something new every day. Does this info. go for any other animals ??

Pigeons and Deer don't have gallbladders while pheasants, duck and rabbits do. The bile within the bladder will taint the meat.

Pigeons and Deer don't have gallbladders while pheasants, duck and rabbits do. The bile within the bladder will taint the meat.

Thanks the meat would still be edible?

I quote ' you can it eat but it tastes like sh1t'.......bile is said to be bitter and foul tasting and although not harmful, you wouldn't want to eat it. It can discolour meat if it comes in contact with it and it is better to remove the contaminated area.

I quote ' you can it eat but it tastes like sh1t'.......bile is said to be bitter and foul tasting and although not harmful, you wouldn't want to eat it. It can discolour meat if it comes in contact with it and it is better to remove the contaminated area.

Ok that's grand thanks for the information!

Advertisement