Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikes for the kids

Options
  • 14-11-2016 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi

I am looking for some advice on buying a bike for a number of my kids. I have four and all need or have expressed an interest in getting one for Christmas.

Details are
    16 year old boy--> Wants a "racer" No other details will not be competing, will leave it in the garden etc....

13 year old girl --> Will use it for cycling here there and everywhere in the general area. Will not be doing long distances, but will be doing regular short distances. Will look after it

10 year old boy -->Wants a "racer". Will use it for going around the neighbourhood with his friends. Will leave it in the garden in the rain.

5 year old girl. Just got her stableisers off her old small bike and needs a bigger bike.

Really interested in what/where people would recommend when buying multiple bikes, is there good value up the north?? Any other information would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

That's a fine mixture of bikes- I'd head for adverts pick up some good value used 2 wheelers.

For the two lads who leave them in the garden I'd get them something cheap and a tin of wd40

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

My advice would be don't accept the "leave it in the garden" bit. It's your money that's paying for it and it's not that difficult to put something in the shed or out of the rain. If you can get over that hurdle, you can afford to up the quality a bit (Frog or Isla), meaning a much nicer bike to ride and pass on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Aidan No1

Thanks for the parenting tips, I was just trying to highlight that the level of care and as such the budget we will be spending will reflect this. They should be durable but would be disposable after say two or three years.

Also we will not be using our money as they will be coming from the north pole.

Really looking to find where the best value for these types of bikes can be had. Where offers good value for buying multiple bikes.

Has anyone ordered from Amazon or other online etc..

What is value up north like with sterling as it is at the moment

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Anything you buy will likely be completely wrecked by being left outdoors in the rain long before the reliability of components becomes an issue, and in a lot less than three years. I left a good quality but solid mountain bike outdoors for one winter and it was covered in rust.

Wouldn't bother with Amazon, I'd just get some from a local Halfords, that way you can bring them back if there's a build issue.

Look for: Wiggins, Carrera, Pendelton, VooDoo
    Avoid: Apollo, anything else very cheap.
    Not sure about Raleigh. They look suspiciously cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

The 13 year old? Who's going to use the bike all the time and really look after it? -I'd buy her a really nice road bike, the best you can afford, and put the other three up for adoption.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Ok, I'll be more constructive.

If they're coming from Santy then he doesn't really do second hand sure he doesn't. You'd probably want to post up what you think is an appropriate budget cos for some people their "cheap" bike is a grand, and for others 300 euro is a shocking price for one.

I know Halfords is knocked and rightly so in some respects, but I think it's a very good place to start and I like a lot of their stock. I got two gorgeous aluminium Boardman racers for my two girls and they're the best things I ever bought. They're getting loads of use out of them, they're completely comfortable now on drop bar bikes, and they're in them every day to and from school (primary). Halfords do cheap and cheerful but functional clunkers for the lads who are going to throw the bike behind their ar$es everywhere, and they do a lovely range of racers to suit 10 to 15-16 year olds. It'll definitely give you a good idea of what they might like in terms of styles of bikes and also what the total spend might be. Which for four any-way-decent bikes.... will be a fair ol chunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I would spent the extra few € to get aluminium framed bikes for them. Kids bikes are typically steel and really heavy and awkward to lift and maneuver. I bought my girls some really nice bikes a few years ago and we have taken them all over the place (and to France a few times) and really regret not going with lighter frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭ratracer

I'd second Halfords, Santa must like it too, cos he got a great little Carrera TdF racer for my 10 year old last year. He loved it, so much so he wants clip in pedals and shoes and a turbo trainer this year!!

I would be the first one to knock Halfrauds usually, but they have a good selection of juvenile bikes at different price points.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Aidan No1

Thanks for the feedback, especially the adoption idea, I will keep it in mind.

Also Halfords seems to be the place to start. I will call out and see how I get on

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'd have a look at bikes in decathlon too
    There's one in Belfast that delivers

• Advertisement
Advertisement