Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 Garda Campaign: Class of 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

DooraGirl wrote: »
    God I hope so too 😉

Are you waiting long for an offer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭DooraGirl

Gnr_Iver wrote: »
    Are you waiting long for an offer ?

I meant I hope you will get it . Seen how long youve been waiting!

I'm only at medical stage now. Medical on the 6th and open day the 17th :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

I meant I hope you will get it . Seen how long youve been waiting!

I'm only at medical stage now. Medical on the 6th and open day the 17th :)

Ah sound :) ah yeah sure hopefully down the line it'll happen. Good stuff, best of luck with your remaining stages.

Gnr_Iver wrote: »
    Ah sound :) ah yeah sure hopefully down the line it'll happen. Good stuff, best of luck with your remaining stages.

Laser surgery tomorrow. If I knew all the hassle this would entail, I may have through twice ;)

Thanks a mill. Let's hope to both be going in in February :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bazz1000

Will they tell us on the day that we have passed the medical and do we need any paper work with us for medical exam.
    Print out of medical invitation/ I.d???

Also good to know about intake dates.
    Please God we all get the Feb or may dates. Preferably February :-D

Laser surgery tomorrow. If I knew all the hassle this would entail, I may have through twice ;)

Thanks a mill. Let's hope to both be going in in February :)

Invest in plenty of bags of peas. Had mine done Wednesday. First two days is a constant feeling of onions in the eyes. Bags of peas wrapped in a towel over the eyes helps ease it. Plenty of tissues for 24 hrs of watery eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 daveoc43

bazz1000 wrote: »
    Will they tell us on the day that we have passed the medical and do we need any paper work with us for medical exam.
    Print out of medical invitation/ I.d???

Also good to know about intake dates.
    Please God we all get the Feb or may dates. Preferably February :-D

They tell you there and then if you've passed or not. You need nothing only yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Great news about the future intakes

Curently waiting on a medical date myself

Ranked late 900's

Invest in plenty of bags of peas. Had mine done Wednesday. First two days is a constant feeling of onions in the eyes. Bags of peas wrapped in a towel over the eyes helps ease it. Plenty of tissues for 24 hrs of watery eyes.

Thanks a million! Which type of surgery did you get done if you don't mind me asking?!

• Advertisement

Thanks a million! Which type of surgery did you get done if you don't mind me asking?!

Lasek cuz it only takes a month till you can do contact sports. 8 months I think with lasik, especially when they'll be training self defence in the college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Lasek cuz it only takes a month till you can do contact sports. 8 months I think with lasik, especially when they'll be training self defence in the college.

Yeah, I had Lasek done too. My corneas were too thin for Lasik plus I was advised it was a better option for contact sports and my chosen career!

I still don't know which surgery I'm having tomorrow! She said he has been changing potential guards to the Lasek because it doesn't leave scar tissue and we would be at risk of potential eye injuries in the line of duty. How is your vision now? I guess the plus with the lasek is that it's a bit cheaper and a few more days off work for me ;)

I still don't know which surgery I'm having tomorrow! She said he has been changing potential guards to the Lasek because it doesn't leave scar tissue and we would be at risk of potential eye injuries in the line of duty. How is your vision now? I guess the plus with the lasek is that it's a bit cheaper and a few more days off work for me ;)

Ya I took a week off work for it. Sight keeps fluctuating but each day gets better. I'd say I'm close to the vision I had with contact lenses in but still with slight blurry vision but have better than the requirements guards want.
    Ya the lasek is the better choice and ta it's few hundred cheaper but I also had to do the I design cuz my pupils were larger than normal 6mm, mine were 7mm. Ended up being 500 more than quoted price at start.

Ya I took a week off work for it. Sight keeps fluctuating but each day gets better. I'd say I'm close to the vision I had with contact lenses in but still with slight blurry vision but have better than the requirements guards want.
    Ya the lasek is the better choice and ta it's few hundred cheaper but I also had to do the I design cuz my pupils were larger than normal 6mm, mine were 7mm. Ended up being 500 more than quoted price at start.

Do you think it will keep improving?! And where did you get yours done?

Sorry for all the questions now, its just that the nerves are kicking in slightly as I make my way to Dublin. I'm just worried because I have exactly a week between surgery and medial and terrified my vision won't be ok for it :/

Looks like we are around the same stage of recruitment. Are you in Templemore for the open day on the 17th Dec?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ganthy

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Great news about the future intakes

Curently waiting on a medical date myself

Ranked late 900's
    I have got a OOM above that and I got a medical date 2 weeks ago....Seems like OOM is irrelevant as to who comes first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Walshek3

Hey Guys, I have open day tomorrow , is anyone going down aswell ? Also I have medical on the 5th December

Do you think it will keep improving?! And where did you get yours done?

Sorry for all the questions now, its just that the nerves are kicking in slightly as I make my way to Dublin. I'm just worried because I have exactly a week between surgery and medial and terrified my vision won't be ok for it :/

Looks like we are around the same stage of recruitment. Are you in Templemore for the open day on the 17th Dec?

Ya up the 17th for open day too.but don't worry bout the surgery. It's nothing. Eyes are numbed and you'll feel nothing , see funny shapes and it's over after 3/4 mins. Just the two days after is uncomfortable.

I think a week will be fine. I'm 6 days in and seeing way better than requirements but maybe ask your local opticians for a quick eye test day before for piece of mind.

Ya up the 17th for open day too.but don't worry bout the surgery. It's nothing. Eyes are numbed and you'll feel nothing , see funny shapes and it's over after 3/4 mins. Just the two days after is uncomfortable.

I think a week will be fine. I'm 6 days in and seeing way better than requirements but maybe ask your local opticians for a quick eye test day before for piece of mind.

Cheers for the info and replies- you have helped easy my mind a lot!

I'll see ya (but won't know ya ;) ) the 17th

Cheers for the info and replies- you have helped easy my mind a lot!

I'll see ya (but won't know ya ;) ) the 17th

No bother. Best of luck with the surgery. And if they will ask them for few extra btls of the strong eye drops. They're very good

• Registered Users Posts: 35 noelctb

Looks like the gang goin into the February intake are wats left of last November's recruitment so..may be for d September recruitment drive I say

• Advertisement

noelctb wrote: »
    Looks like the gang goin into the February intake are wats left of last November's recruitment so..may be for d September recruitment drive I say

I hope not. I was October interviews. Still a chance of February I hope. Medical 13th, open day 17th and can't imagine there being a long wait for the physical date.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Dingle20144

Has anyone here forgotten to send back the self vetting declaration form before their medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nmf28

Has anyone here forgotten to send back the self vetting declaration form before their medical?

Sent mine the day of..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SuperReds123

Does anyone know or roughly guess when you would want to have your fitness test done to make the February intake? I had my medical in August but had to get laser eye surgery waiting for a fitness test date now? Do I have to re sit the medical again? Would doing the fitness test in January be too late for February?

Does anyone know or roughly guess when you would want to have your fitness test done to make the February intake? I had my medical in August but had to get laser eye surgery waiting for a fitness test date now? Do I have to re sit the medical again? Would doing the fitness test in January be too late for February?

I've my medical upcoming in two weeks but if you fail eye test and are deferred for the option of laser surgery then yes you must get onto garda headquarters asap for a date to redo test. Won't get a physical date until you have passed the medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭OhThatsGreasy

Did you arrange a date for the Physical with HR since you had the laser eye surgery? I'd say you'll be doing it in January. If you pass that and you've met Sgt. & Sup. AND your vetting is back then you have every chance of being called up in Feb.

The vetting is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭LandT

Did you send in your 6 weeks report? I sent mine in 3 and a half weeks ago and haven't heard anything. He hasn't even reviewed it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SuperReds123

Yea LandT I sent in the six week report, how do you know he hasnt reviewed it yet? I have everything done just waiting on the fitness test, vetting was sent off in July so hopefully that is done by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Fox93

Anyone know if you get an offer can you deffer it until you finish college ? I've my medical tomorrow and say i'm lucky enough to get through the rest of the stages and get an offer, i'm half way through my final year in college and really would suck to drop out and miss my degree by 3/4 months. I think i'd do it if it came to it but if I could wiggle my way in to both i'd be a happy man

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭BobbyDaisy

Fox93 wrote: »
    Anyone know if you get an offer can you deffer it until you finish college ? I've my medical tomorrow and say i'm lucky enough to get through the rest of the stages and get an offer, i'm half way through my final year in college and really would suck to drop out and miss my degree by 3/4 months. I think i'd do it if it came to it but if I could wiggle my way in to both i'd be a happy man
    Yeah I'm nearly sure they will let you defer on them grounds but I'd check with HR to make sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Fox93

Thanks BobbyDaisy ! Hopefully that's the case :) anyway there's long way to go before I worry about that too much!

LandT wrote: »
    Did you send in your 6 weeks report? I sent mine in 3 and a half weeks ago and haven't heard anything. He hasn't even reviewed it yet!

I'm also curious - how do you know it hasn't been reviewed? Did you ring occ health? Did they give any indication as to how long it would take?

Yea LandT I sent in the six week report, how do you know he hasnt reviewed it yet? I have everything done just waiting on the fitness test, vetting was sent off in July so hopefully that is done by now.

Did you get a certificate of fitness or a letter or any acknowledgement that they got it? Just wondering how you know you passed?

Elliot192 wrote: »
    I'm also curious - how do you know it hasn't been reviewed? Did you ring occ health? Did they give any indication as to how long it would take?

I was mailing them every week checking and yes they had to get back to me to say I was passed medically fit after the laser! I mailed again today and she finally wrote back and said it was reviewed today and I'm medically fit so now I gotta wait for the fitness test :-)

LandT wrote: »
    I was mailing them every week checking and yes they had to get back to me to say I was passed medically fit after the laser! I mailed again today and she finally wrote back and said it was reviewed today and I'm medically fit so now I gotta wait for the fitness test :-)

Happy Days :) Best of luck with it!

Elliot192 wrote: »
    Happy Days :) Best of luck with it!

Thank you :) wonder will it be before Xmas? I hope so, hate the waiting haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

If you are slightly over weight or slightly underweight with your a bmi test what do they do ? Will they fail you there and then ? I'm on the lighter side and my bmi is just inside the normal range but at the lower end and I'm worried that will go against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Megan7290

Cedric87 wrote: »
    If you are slightly over weight or slightly underweight with your a bmi test what do they do ? Will they fail you there and then ? I'm on the lighter side and my bmi is just inside the normal range but at the lower end and I'm worried that will go against me.

They tell you on the day if you fail or not but once your inside the range you should fine..I passed the other day and my bmi was 19-20 cant remember exactly.. they defer your for 3months if you are 35 or more I think I seen on the page I filled out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

Megan7290 wrote: »
    They tell you on the day if you fail or not but once your inside the range you should fine..I passed the other day and my bmi was 19-20 cant remember exactly.. they defer your for 3months if you are 35 or more I think I seen on the page I filled out

I sat a medical for the reserves and I passed, he told me I just passed and I was told on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Sugar378

This is my first time posting here only using this site now. I done my medical Last week on the 7th of December but I havnt met my Local Sgt or Superintendent yet should I be worried?

Sugar378 wrote: »
    This is my first time posting here only using this site now. I done my medical Last week on the 7th of December but I havnt met my Local Sgt or Superintendent yet should I be worried?

No I was a month waiting after my medical to meet my local sergeant

BobbyDaisy wrote: »
    No I was a month waiting after my medical to meet my local sergeant

Oh right I was panicking thinking I was out of the race for some reason this waiting is killing me I just want to know that I passed the vetting and meet my Sgt so I can relax

Oh right I was panicking thinking I was out of the race for some reason this waiting is killing me I just want to know that I passed the vetting and meet my Sgt so I can relax

I met my local sergeant over two months ago but being held up on vetting the wait is horrible alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 tomcwn

BobbyDaisy wrote: »
    I met my local sergeant over two months ago but being held up on vetting the wait is horrible alright

Have you not met your Super yet?

tomcwn wrote: »
    Have you not met your Super yet?

Yeah I did the following week and did my physical 2 days later but haven't heard anything since

• Advertisement

Got the call yesterday and met my Local Sgt think it went OK I hope it did anyway hopefully I will meet the Super soon enough will the Super tell you there and then if he's going to recommend or decline you?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭VW73

Got the call yesterday and met my Local Sgt think it went OK I hope it did anyway hopefully I will meet the Super soon enough will the Super tell you there and then if he's going to recommend or decline you?

Hi, I'm assuming so, my Super told ms he approved my application, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Theflycatcher

Ive only ever heard people say that the superintendent tells them he's happy with their application, that's what he told me as well. But they do go through you application and ask you questions on anything that may concern them. But honestly, your fine. They're genuinely happy you've got that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sd82

anyone going to the open day 2mw or has been. what does it entail?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭VW73

Sd82 wrote: »
    anyone going to the open day 2mw or has been. what does it entail?

Hi, if you go on the thread stage 4: medical and physical you will find out all you need to know about open day, people who waiting on physical etc. Best of Luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement