Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 Garda Campaign: Class of 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭VW73

Sd82 wrote: »
    anyone going to the open day 2mw or has been. what does it entail?

Hi, if you go on the thread stage 4: medical and physical you will find out all you need to know about open day, people who waiting on physical etc. Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bazz1000

anyone going to the open day 2mw or has been. what does it entail?

Ya going to the open tomorrow alright. From what ice gathered they just take you through the tests and give you a test run of each stage and show the correct way they want sit ups and push ups done. At least well figure out how screwed or good we are tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭DooraGirl

bazz1000 wrote: »
    Ya going to the open tomorrow alright. From what ice gathered they just take you through the tests and give you a test run of each stage and show the correct way they want sit ups and push ups done. At least well figure out how screwed or good we are tomorrow.

See ye there. Ye gonna wear gym gear going or change down there?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sd82

DooraGirl wrote: »
    See ye there. Ye gonna wear gym gear going or change down there?

they provide changing rooms. any idea how long it lasts

they provide changing rooms. any idea how long it lasts

I know.. just wondering what people are going to wear down there. Think it's about 2 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Vamp369

I know.. just wondering what people are going to wear down there. Think it's about 2 hours.

I did it in August. I went in a tracksuit as did most others. Very informal so I wouldnt worry about dressing up.

Vamp369 wrote: »
    I did it in August. I went in a tracksuit as did most others. Very informal so I wouldnt worry about dressing up.

Thanks a million. You hear anything for February?

Thanks a million. You hear anything for February?

No worries. Yep got an offer to start.

Fantastic. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 1211portgal

My oom was 1121 do iv any chance do ye think? Iv not had a fitness or medical or anything and Is it true iv to meet with the super in my local station if so what for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dcw2016

When did you get your offer?

dcw2016 wrote: »
    When did you get your offer?
    Yesterday the 16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dcw2016

Yesterday the 16th.

Well done! Best of luck with it. Hoping to hear myself for the February intake. When did you do your physical do you mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Megan7290, in that comment when you said 35 or more they will defer you, did you mean in age or the bmi, I know this is probably a silly question but i would just like it clarified please, thanks I advance.

dcw2016 wrote: »
    Well done! Best of luck with it. Hoping to hear myself for the February intake. When did you do your physical do you mind me asking?

I did it in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Theflycatcher

Anybody else here get the call up for February??

• Registered Users Posts: 35 redgreendragon

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

Nope, Not a whisper on my end!:(

Gnr_Iver wrote: »
    Nope, Not a whisper on my end!:(

You have be knocking about here for a long time. Have you ever lived abroad or have family abroad? It's your vetting that's still outstanding yea? I lived abroad so concerned that will slow me down but I never rang to check on my status. Kinda afraid to

• Advertisement

You have be knocking about here for a long time. Have you ever lived abroad or have family abroad? It's your vetting that's still outstanding yea? I lived abroad so concerned that will slow me down but I never rang to check on my status. Kinda afraid to

Yea unfortunately so, Yea lived abroad for a couple of years so that's the main issue. I've never been involved with the guards in any capacity so I dunno what else it could be. To be honest your better off just sending an email to see what the story is...you might get lucky.:D

I lived abroad for a few years too. Was terrified to ring but bit the bullet a few weeks ago and all clear so it might be worth giving them a call.

Yea unfortunately so, Yea lived abroad for a couple of years so that's the main issue. I've never been involved with the guards in any capacity so I dunno what else it could be. To be honest your better off just sending an email to see what the story is...you might get lucky.:D

Do you mind me asking what country you lived in? I was in oz. might send an email early next week and see what they say.

Do you mind me asking what country you lived in? I was in oz. might send an email early next week and see what they say.

I was in the UK. You'd think there wouldn't be a problem but sure look it!ha:)

I lived abroad for a few years too. Was terrified to ring but bit the bullet a few weeks ago and all clear so it might be worth giving them a call.
    Sound I will do that. I kinda believe February is gone so I'd like to know what way am fixed for May. Have you been offered a place? Roughly what is your oom. ?

Sound I will do that. I kinda believe February is gone so I'd like to know what way am fixed for May. Have you been offered a place? Roughly what is your oom. ?

Ya I reckon so.. no, I'm only doing my physical on Saturday and my OOM is in 1200s! How you fixed?

• Advertisement

Ya I reckon so.. no, I'm only doing my physical on Saturday and my OOM is in 1200s! How you fixed?

Done physical on Tuesday. Have everything else completed and just need to check vetting. Had an oom in the 1000,s

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Theflycatcher

Give them a call, they don't tell you how your vetting went, just if all the parts are back. At least you'll know then.

Hopefully its all back and clear for you :)

After you pass the physical does anyone contact you to confirm that or what happens?

After you pass the physical does anyone contact you to confirm that or what happens?

You will know on the day if you pass/fail and as far as I know, the next time they will contact you is with an offer via email.

• Advertisement

Or they will send you a letter saying your "Generally unsuitable" to become a member of AGS.

God, could you imagine one of those arriving on your door mat!

Or they will send you a letter saying your "Generally unsuitable" to become a member of AGS.

God, could you imagine one of those arriving on your door mat!

Oh jesus!!!! Imagine!! Can they send you a letter like that even if your vetting has cleared and you have completed all stages?!

Oh jesus!!!! Imagine!! Can they send you a letter like that even if your vetting has cleared and you have completed all stages?!

Yeah, Completion of all stages of the campaign does not guarantee you a position on the training program. I think its in the fine print of the Notes to Candidates.

Something like "The commissioner reserves the right to refuse any candidate entry to the training program without providing a reason".

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭AM11

I was going to give HR a call for an update but seeing as people recently got offers for Feb I'm sure mine isn't back yet otherwise I would have an offer too. Might give a call in Feb so...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 smurph141

What does or have women been wearing to the medical? And how long does it take? I know it says allow 4 hours but does it take that long? Is there parking at the garda headquarters?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mango167

Hi All,

I have just done my Garda Interview was told it went well and will get through for a medical. I am really worried about my BMI. I am very fit play sport at a very high level but carry a lot of muscle. My BMI is around 36 but could run a marathon in the morning! Have I no chance of passing or does anyone know?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Mango167 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have just done my Garda Interview was told it went well and will get through for a medical. I am really worried about my BMI. I am very fit play sport at a very high level but carry a lot of muscle. My BMI is around 36 but could run a marathon in the morning! Have I no chance of passing or does anyone know?

It's taken into consideration when calculating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Hi All,

You have about 4 weeks to drop it below 35. Or better yet ring the Occupational Health Department. I don't know if they do the caliper test but I mean if you walk in and you're quite obviously ripped I wonder what they do then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

Congrats on a good interview. Unfortunately with a BMI of 36 your not even going to get a deferral.if you can get it down to between 30-35 they will then give you 3 months to bring it down. I had to go down this route and the fact that I was playing Division 1 AIL rugby was irrelevant to them. Just put your head down and work hard for the next few months and you will get there. They won't use calipers the other measurement that they may take is a hip to waist ratio .

rocky911 wrote: »
    Congrats on a good interview. Unfortunately with a BMI of 36 your not even going to get a deferral.if you can get it down to between 30-35 they will then give you 3 months to bring it down. I had to go down this route and the fact that I was playing Division 1 AIL rugby was irrelevant to them. Just put your head down and work hard for the next few months and you will get there. They won't use calipers the other measurement that they may take is a hip to waist ratio .

Great thanks ill prob be going down the refferal route even tho loosing that much muscle is a tough ask in 3 months!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ganthy

I had my fitness yesterday and I met the Super today. I asked him about how exactly does the vetting work. He told me that the Sergeant would have done her own bit and pieces and that the biggest part of the vetting will only begin now as he has sent off my application to them. He said that it would be unlikely for it to be all complete on time for me to make the May intake, and I have neither lived abroad myself nor my relatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

There's two buttons on the machine. Not sure of the wording but one is 'Normal' and the other is 'Athletic'. They'll press either one based on basically if your 'ripped' or not.

TallGlass wrote: »

There's two buttons on the machine. Not sure of the wording but one is 'Normal' and the other is 'Athletic'. They'll press either one based on basically if your 'ripped' or not.
    Perfect hopefully ill be ok. Could prob get some fat off and get to 34/35. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

TallGlass wrote:

Or not a hope which was in my case Lols. Cheers for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shane88

Perfect hopefully ill be ok. Could prob get some fat off and get to 34/35. Thanks

Do a weight cut you've plenty of time. I've often lost 12-15lbs in 2 weeks to make weight for a fight. Just reduce calories and do lots of cardio and minimise water the day before and day of the medical. It can be done! And with muscle memory you'll easily put the muscle back on in the weeks afterwards. Personally I'd rather do that that get deferred for 3 months!

Shane88 wrote: »

Do a weight cut you've plenty of time. I've often lost 12-15lbs in 2 weeks to make weight for a fight. Just reduce calories and do lots of cardio and minimise water the day before and day of the medical. It can be done! And with muscle memory you'll easily put the muscle back on in the weeks afterwards. Personally I'd rather do that that get deferred for 3 months!

Brill thanks for the infor. Really helpful and defo can do that

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shane88

Brill thanks for the infor. Really helpful and defo can do that

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

ganthy wrote: »
    I had my fitness yesterday and I met the Super today. I asked him about how exactly does the vetting work. He told me that the Sergeant would have done her own bit and pieces and that the biggest part of the vetting will only begin now as he has sent off my application to them. He said that it would be unlikely for it to be all complete on time for me to make the May intake, and I have neither lived abroad myself nor my relatives.

Oh that's disappointing but good you know. How was the fitness congrats on passing

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mabf

ganthy wrote: »

I met with the Inspector and Sergeant today and have my physical next week. They had said that I should be gearing myself up for the May intake. I wonder why we are getting different responses!

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ganthy

mabf wrote: »
    I met with the Inspector and Sergeant today and have my physical next week. They had said that I should be gearing myself up for the May intake. I wonder why we are getting different responses!

M
    I suppose no one really knows even HRM. There will be people who will defer/fail and simply turn down an offer.

Advertisement