Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public vs Semi private in Holles St

Options
  • 14-11-2016 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,

I had my first public in Holles St. Delivery was fantastic but aftercare wasn't great. Just wondering if there is a big difference between the two for those who have done both?

I know that normally you are discharged earlier on your 2nd, but I had a fever in labour with my son and we both were on IV antibiotics and needed to wait for the all clear before discharge, so I am worried if I have to stay in again. Did you find the staff was around more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I wouldn't bother with semip. I was on the ward after I had my second before being moved to my private room and there seemed to be no difference to the public wards. The care was only ok and there were five other beds on the ward so a lot of noise. If you're looking for more attention I'd go privatte or else try to get home ASAP-I left earlier second time and it was much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Thanks lazygal, that cements it. I will go public because I can do the satellite clinic in Wicklow as well instead of having to go to Holles St the whole time for appt

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

I decided to go public in Holles Street too. I was debating semi-private - but to be honest, I think the real comparison is between public and private. I get the sense that semi-private is a bit of a waste of money.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I don't think I could deal with public in Holles St unless it was through the midwife scheme.
    The midwife scheme is amazing but you have to be very low risk.
    I went semi private with the 1st 2 and on the 1st waits were long enough on the 2nd I was always in and out in about 40 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

I heard midwife led scheme in holles st was very good also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I don't think I could deal with public in Holles St unless it was through the midwife scheme.

Can I ask why?
    I always hear people saying how awful public is but I have to say I am public in Holles St and have a LOT of appointments due to medical history. I find it really great. Ok everyone gets the 1 o'clock appointment but they fly through it all. Once you get the hang of the queues and the way the place works I think it's fantastic. When I go I need to see the usual doc and a haematology doctor so have to wait for both and I'm always out very quick.

I don't understand the whole semi private to be honest. Seems like a complete waste of money.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The packed waiting room,the 4 hour wait,different doctors all the time.
    I got to se it while waiting for the midwife clinic which in fairness there is never a wait for and your time is your time.

Semi Private depends on your consultant but I was always in and out within the hour,always had the same consultant but still no where as good as the midwife clinic.

I got to stay in public,semi private and private wards/rooms.

The private one was amazing and the care was amazing,the semi private one was terrible - no one elses partners went home,the showers were not the best and I had only experience private lol
    The 2 public wards were fine 6 beds each and despite never being able to find a member of staff when I wanted them which in fairness was not often,I only had to stay 1 night,the last time the public ward had really nice showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Moonbeam wrote:
    The packed waiting room,the 4 hour wait,different doctors all the time. I got to se it while waiting for the midwife clinic which in fairness there is never a wait for and your time is your time.

Have to say I have NEVER waited 4 hours. The longest I was there was an hour and a half and that was only coz I had the glucose test and had to wait for bloods. And I've seen the same doc and consultant every time and got a scan each time. Think public care gets a bit of an unfair reputation. I can't fault it and I've been in 10+ times already.

Of course I'm sure there's a huge difference between public and fully private but semi private seems a money making racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Yeah that's what I am feeling regarding semi private. I had a four hour wait for my last scan when I was overdue but it was a general clinic so everyone there, no matter public or private, had the same wait as unfortunately their were a couple patients that day that had severe complications.

I am going public through the satellite clinic in Wicklow again. I had no issues until the aftercare, but will hopefully be in and out this time.

Advertisement