Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Rink at the Square, Dundalk

Options
  • 14-11-2016 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me who finds the Ice Rink destroys the look of the town centre every December? It lies across the nicely refurbished fountain/lights area and has nothing going for it aesthetically.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Thought that myself driving past yesterday. Surely they could put it up in one of the carparks by the IMC or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

It's ugly alright but is the hook for having it there it draws people in to the town centre? Putting it in a back street car park prob wouldn't achieve that.Near sure it's all sponsored by town centre businesses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I know it's a draw but put it to one side of the square and improve the appearance of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Was passing while they were putting it up the other day and had a similar thought. I can see what there doing but it could be presented a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

MugMugs wrote:
    it could be presented a bit better.

Yes, maybe if they festooned the tent thing with lights it might be a bit more aesthetically pleasing. As is it takes away from the square. Even the all year coloured lights from the fountain spray is xmasier looking than that! If they wanted to bring people onto the square / town why not do a Xmas market kinda thing ala Eyre square? Stick the tent down at superquinn where there's parking. Its hardly 'rockefellar plaza' looking as is, if that was their intention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

The first year it was the worst looking thing and then improved slightly in latter years. I know it is a prime spot but people are bound to still visit the town centre even if it was in one of the car parks like the one used by people going to the cinema. The square itself is then available for other stuff like carol singing, Christmas market stalls and the like while not ruining what is a fine civic space. Even the Demense could be used as it isnt that big a facility and it is flexible in layout eg oval so that it could fit there. It is probably to do with cost or maintaining the ice but if it was open air like Smithfield (I think) or certainly ones that Ive seen in London pop up and it would look better. There have to better marquees that the one used too.

circular-marquee.jpeg

Nesta99 wrote: »
    The first year it was the worst looking thing and then improved slightly in latter years. I know it is a prime spot but people are bound to still visit the town centre even if it was in one of the car parks like the one used by people going to the cinema. The square itself is then available for other stuff like carol singing, Christmas market stalls and the like while not ruining what is a fine civic space. Even the Demense could be used as it isnt that big a facility and it is flexible in layout eg oval so that it could fit there. It is probably to do with cost or maintaining the ice but if it was open air like Smithfield (I think) or certainly ones that Ive seen in London pop up and it would look better. There have to better marquees that the one used too.

circular-marquee.jpeg

They tried that a couple of years ago(may have been 3 years ago?) and although the set-up was easier on the eye the skating conditions were awful & attendances bombed. :(
    Smithfield are obv spending more money for better quality services than Dundalk for the rink hire.

Agree with your post though,a bit more thought needs to go in to this 'cos it's a winner for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Even the way that it blocks off the entrance to Panama is a real 'how do they get away with this' moment

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's a bit of an eyesore BUT they probably pay a good wad to the UDC.
    As Neil Diamond said " Money Talks ".

It's a bit of an eyesore BUT they probably pay a good wad to the UDC.
    As Neil Diamond said " Money Talks ".

They don't you know.

• Advertisement

They don't you know.
    I doubt they're allowed to do that for free. Nobody would ok that.

This pic of the open air ice rink at the square(2014 i think) popeed up on Facebook earlier.
    Looked great but as i said in a previous post the skating conditions were awful and attendances bombed as a result.

15109394_225931554504495_4872783339045518396_n.jpg?oh=421111459a16564b96b540bfc47716c4&oe=58B12DF1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

When you say the open air skating rink conditions were awful, do you mean the general weather or the ice (or both). Seems they don't have that problem at the Rockefeller centre (they must have a bigger budget :))

When you say the open air skating rink conditions were awful, do you mean the general weather or the ice (or both). Seems they don't have that problem at the Rockefeller centre (they must have a bigger budget :))

The Rockefeller Centre doesn't have to deal with above freezing ambient temperatures. It's just too warm here for outside rinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

They have open air ice skating in Los Angeles and the temperature is around 20 degrees.

Both.
    Well draw your own conclusion.Tented = perfect ice.Open air = Ice not so good.
    Money was the factor :(
    You get what you pay for.The budget for the rockfeller or indeed Smithfield is obv higher than what Dundalk BIDS are able to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

A lovely lit up Christmas market would be far more suitable, which I think is what the plans are hinting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

A lovely lit up Christmas market would be far more suitable, which I think is what the plans are hinting at.

Much more practical and more aesthetic plan. The square rink was passable when it was open rather than an ugly enclosed tent which I think it was initially.

Much more practical and more aesthetic plan. The square rink was passable when it was open rather than an ugly enclosed tent which I think it was initially.

Hope it's a proper Christmas market though and not just people selling junk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement