Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scared of taking my daughter to creche for fear of catching bugs

Options
  • 14-11-2016 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

When we came to Ireland in January 2016 it was a bit hard adapting to the weather since we came from one of the sunniest places in Europe. We took our daughter who is now 2 years old to play in a play place the week after we arrived and she got ill, really REALLY bad the day after we took her to that place (I think it is called panda play cafe) . They had a big heater blowing hot air and kept all the windows sealed tight with all the kids breathing each others germs. yuck!

I get it though. The weather makes it difficult for outdoor play that one might have the luxury of in other countries and people do kind of "hibernate" in winter prefering the comfort of warmth over the need for fresh air.

I was just wondering if anybody else feels a bit like we do and if they sometimes wonder if the creche environment here in winter is actually pretty bad for kids because of this? I know you cant stop your kids from getting ill but putting them in a heated room with other kids without enough fresh air and you are basically bringing it upon them.

Anyhow, we are a bit worried because we would like to take her to a creche but this is a real concern for us. In winter, does your creche address this concern or is it not even a concern?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The place you've described is a 'play place' isn't it? Have you been to see any créches? They are fairly tightly regulated and outdoor play should be a feature of them. I know the playschool where mine attend ask you to provide outdoor gear and they even invested in wet suit type things for splashing about in outside.

Is there an outdoor créche in your area? You should visit as many as possible to find out how much outdoor activity is included before making a decision. Also things like walking to and from the créche would provide a lot of outdoor time.

If it's any comfort, the majority of kids pick up bugs and viruses in pre-school and school environments in the first few months. While unpleasant, it ultimately strengthens their immune system.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

The creche we use each room has a garden, once it's not raining the kids play outside 2-3 times a day. If it's cold they must have warm coat, hat, scarf and gloves to go out. I think you can't avoid the creche germs at the start, they are sharing toys, snots the works!
    You could always try a childminder to avoid the creche

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Kids get sick in nursery/creche, you'll face this any where. I live in the middle east and have the opposite problem, AC on the whole time, although the kids get out now that its cool enough. My son out of his first 6 weeks in nursery (he only does half days)has been home sick for 3 of those weeks. Nurseries/play areas are disease factories all it takes it one sick kid drooling over things and other kids will get sick. Its not nice buts its unavoidable if they go to creche. I'm sure you can find a creche that suits what you are looking for, but its likely your little one will still get sick occasionally.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Have you done a tour of any of the creches? Ours have them outside as much as possible if it's dry. If a shower stops, back out they go!

Having said that, mixing with other children will pick up all sorts. You cant avoid that. But that's the same whether they are in a creche, a play centre or a school. My mother never used pre-school but the first six months of us all starting school had us bringing home a nice variety of bugs and sniffles until our immune systems righted themselves.

Oh, and get good rain gear and wellies. I got these dungarees and a matching light jacket that can go over normal clothes. Brilliant for wet and mucky days at the park. Aldi /Lidl often do very cheap and decent quality rain gear too if you keep on the lookout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I understand where you're coming from but I don't think it's avoidable due to their immune systems.

My 1 year old started crèche 3 months ago and was in it only about half the time, the rest he was home sick - he even ended up in hospital one night due to very bad vomiting bug. He's had that, hand foot & mouth, chest infection and ear infection.

We've been miserable the whole time as both trying to work but fingers crossed coming out of the worse of it now.

We couldn't avoid it, other than September probably being the worst month to start crèche.

We've an excellent crèche and they're doing everything they can however what causes a lot of this are parents dosing their kids up with calpol and throwing them in, then they get a call at lunchtime to pick them up by which time they've spread whatever they had. There's only so much even the best creches can do.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

That's true, our Crèche are extremely vigilant. Their hygiene standards are ridiculously stringent but every other week it seems there is a notice on the door of the infection of the month. Like Boink says, one kid brings it in and in an hour it's made contact with 3 others and on it goes.

It does settle down after a few months, I promise. And I'd highly recommend getting a suitable multivitamin and pro-biotic supplement. We really noticed a difference after a pro-biotic was added to his nightly milk. He's pretty robust now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

I understand where you're coming from but I don't think it's avoidable due to their immune systems.

My 1 year old started crèche 3 months ago and was in it only about half the time, the rest he was home sick - he even ended up in hospital one night due to very bad vomiting bug. He's had that, hand foot & mouth, chest infection and ear infection.

We've been miserable the whole time as both trying to work but fingers crossed coming out of the worse of it now.

We couldn't avoid it, other than September probably being the worst month to start crèche.

We've an excellent crèche and they're doing everything they can however what causes a lot of this are parents dosing their kids up with calpol and throwing them in, then they get a call at lunchtime to pick them up by which time they've spread whatever they had. There's only so much even the best creches can do.

Yes and also bugs spread before and after symptoms which makes it even worse. Parents would have to be very VERY - like insanely - responsible to put their work and life on hold by the disruption of taking their child out of creche because he or she is ill. More than likely, when the options are on the table they will chance it, take their kid in and hope that the phone call doesn't come. Why should they care if other families become ill as a result or not. "Tragedy of the commons" at play as always

You are so right about September being the worst month but all of winter is bad too.

Hope your child feels better

Yes, in Ireland or other rainy countries, I fear that you may be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

armabelle wrote: »

Is there any harm in them getting sick? Doesn't it give them a better immune system later in life?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I was a terror for catching Bees as a kid,got stung a few time's
    The bugs in a creches would be harmless especially this time of the year.
    You may get spiders and the odd red admiral butterfly in the curtains.

• Advertisement

eeguy wrote: »
    Is there any harm in them getting sick? Doesn't it give them a better immune system later in life?

Well I could take my child around the world and expose them to every type of disease known to man in the hope that they would have a better immune system but no, in my opinion, it is my duty to protect my children from disease. Yes getting sick might make them stronger but I still prefer them not getting sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭dogbert27

We could count on one hand the amount of times our daughter was sick before she went to preschool. Within 3 weeks she was home sick, which then passed to my wife, which then passed our 1 year old boy which then passed to me resulting in days off work.

Everyone gets better she goes back to preschool and the cycle starts again.

There's a lot to be said for home schooling!! :)

dogbert27 wrote: »
    We could count on one hand the amount of times our daughter was sick before she went to preschool. Within 3 weeks she was home sick, which then passed to my wife, which then passed our 1 year old boy which then passed to me resulting in days off work.

Everyone gets better she goes back to preschool and the cycle starts again.

There's a lot to be said for home schooling!! :)

I agree but it is so important for kids to be in contact with each other. They learn so much more and have a lot more fun. I wish it could be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I agree but it is so important for kids to be in contact with each other. They learn so much more and have a lot more fun. I wish it could be different.

That's the main reason our daughter went to preschool. The longer she went the less she got sick but it was always a case of waiting in fear for the next thing to come.

One of the worst is when you see a sign for headlice on the door!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I don't agree with the rainy country thing. I live in the South of France, it doesn't rain much but kids still catch everything that's going in the first months at the crèche or school.

dogbert27 wrote: »

One of the worst is when you see a sign for headlice on the door!!

I'd take headlice over thread worms or vomiting any day. But then mine happily sits watching the ipad for hours while I comb out his hair. I think I might be slightly emetophobic wrt puke, and worms can be really sore as well as totally gross and requires a massive disinfection of all bedding, mattress, all soft furnishings, clothes etc. At least with lice you can see the eggs, you cant with worms. <retches>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ah jeez, it's not that bad, guys you are freaking people out with the horror stories!

My eldest was sick once needing an antibiotic when she was just under age 3, but she had been in the creche since she was 5 months old. The odd headcold was about it. My younger girl hasn't had anything other than a headcold yet, and she's in the creche since she was 5 months old as well. Now almost 3.

Just pick a small creche, ~20 kids, and ask about their handwashing policy. Wash the child's hands yourself before they eat anything, and before and after the go in.

It'll be grand.

Didn't mean to scare people off! :o

In my defence though, unless you home school, you would encounter this stuff from time to time all their childhood. It happens us as adults in work too with someone coming in being a martyr and passing their germs onto colleagues.

My lad hasn't had a sick day from Crèche all year I'd say. Their immune system really does settle down quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

This is part and parcel for all kids when it comes to developing a strong immune system.

My son is four now and is rarely sick. He's been in crèche since he was 11 months and he's had his fair share of sickness. I've also picked up a nasty throat infection from him.

We wrap our kids in cotten wool these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

You could be one of the lucky ones whose child doesn't pick up every bug going around....fingers crossed ;) Unfortunately, kids like that seem few and far between (my daughter was one of them, but we don't live in Ireland so that could have been a factor....although the other children were very often sick too)

If you don't send your child to creche, chances are they will pick up everything once they start school so unfortunately it's a case of choosing when it will happen rather than preventing it entirely. Adding a pro-biotic to their diet, as already suggested, could help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Xdancer wrote: »
    You could be one of the lucky ones whose child doesn't pick up every bug going around....fingers crossed ;) Unfortunately, kids like that seem few and far between (my daughter was one of them, but we don't live in Ireland so that could have been a factor....although the other children were very often sick too)

If you don't send your child to creche, chances are they will pick up everything once they start school so unfortunately it's a case of choosing when it will happen rather than preventing it entirely. Adding a pro-biotic to their diet, as already suggested, could help.
    Also, there is a link between exposure to microbes and reduction in allergies. I'd prefer a few colds than an allergy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Also, there is a link between exposure to microbes and reduction in allergies. I'd prefer a few colds than an allergy tbh.

Totally agree with you. A snotty nose and a bit of a cough every now and then is fine by me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

but no, in my opinion, it is my duty to protect my children from disease. Yes getting sick might make them stronger but I still prefer them not getting sick.

It's inevitable, it's going to happen, and quite likely others in your household may find their illness levels increase too. There's no getting around it, unless you want to live in a sterile bubble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Rain is irrelevant. It's humanity. We spread bugs to each other.

If you try and keep your child in a sterile environment that will be much worse for him in the long run as he wont build a strong immune system and will be more likely to develop allergies.

I think you're being a bit alarmist tbh. It's Ireland, crèches aren't open sewers.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my man has been in creche for about 18 months. he started at 11 months. he has normal snotty noses colds. He had his first tummy bug about a month ago but pretty sure he got that from his cousin.

so i dont think all children with sick in creche at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Armabelle, can't you find a local childminder instead?

I don't agree with the rainy country thing. I live in the South of France, it doesn't rain much but kids still catch everything that's going in the first months at the crèche or school.

not really rain related but that sometimes may make it worse, it has to do with dry heated air, the kind you get when heating a room and reducing ventilation

Lucuma wrote: »
    Armabelle, can't you find a local childminder instead?

We have done just that! :)

Xdancer wrote: »

Hopefully when by then we are cruising the med

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's inevitable, it's going to happen, and quite likely others in your household may find their illness levels increase too. There's no getting around it, unless you want to live in a sterile bubble.

I want to try reduce not eliminate

Advertisement