Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pet Rat advice...

• 14-11-2016 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

Hey, im considering getting two rats as pets, preferably male.

Just asking for some advice in relation to what route is best to take, do I go the breeder or pet shop route? does anybody know of any breeders in or around tipperary or close enough.

Also do many vets deal with animals like this? a rat is a little on the exotic side just wondering would regular vets be competent in dealing with rat issues.

I know they are best kept in pairs so I would be getting two if i do decide to go ahead, then what are the best cage, bedding and food options for rats??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hi, my daughter had pet rats, there's a great breeder in cork, if you're on facebook, join the irish fancy rats group and ask on there. People will give you great advice and tell you where to find well bred, well handle pet rats.
    Please avoid pet shops, lots of health problems and of ten not well handled.
    Google Bongo Fury rattery, that's the breeder in cork, we had two lovely girls from her, boys are calmer and more cuddly, girls more lively.
    Hope you get sorted, lots of info on diet and stuff on that group page too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

For accommodation the ferplast Furet Tower or the Savic Royal Suite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Rats are such lovely pets. I'd defo get some again if we didn't have a herd of cats...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

They seem great alright, ive had everything under the sun bar rats really, my only real issue is that from my research they are short lived and prone to a lot of things. This concerns me as i bet they would fall under the exotic type and most vets wouldn't be experienced with dealing with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Hi there

I am another poster who has a great experiences with pet rats. We currently have 2 male rats (bothers) that we got from Shauna's pet shop on capel st in Dublin city centre but check out the Irish Fence Rat Association if you are after a breeder.

Our 2 boys live in a 2 story Savic suite cage with lots of hammocks and things to do. If I'm honest our boys are super lazy but are so so affectionate.

As for vets,we are based in Monaghan so we travel to Bairbre O Malley in Bray to have our boys looked at. Her and the team in her clinic are absolutely fantastic.

Sadly rats do only live a short life (2-3 years max) but the one thing they can have are tumours. We had a third rat that we tried everything to save him but his tumour was inoperable so we had to let him go but honestly,I know they only live a short time but I would prefer to have those few years than to not have them

• Advertisement
Advertisement