Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex housemate hasn't collected their property

Options
  • 14-11-2016 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I had a housemate recently move out who was on the lease, we agreed that they would pick up any items of furniture etc. they had. They have not after a month and a half subsequent. I am now sole holder of the lease and have agreed to sublet with the LL.

What are my rights does anybody know in regards to disposing of the items. They are taking up space, and have asked and the owner of the items had agreed on multiple occasions to pick up their property.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Hi,

I had a housemate recently move out who was on the lease, we agreed that they would pick up any items of furniture etc. they had. They have not after a month and a half subsequent. I am now sole holder of the lease and have agreed to sublet with the LL.

What are my rights does anybody know in regards to disposing of the items. They are taking up space, and have asked and the owner of the items had agreed on multiple occasions to pick up their property.

Send a bill for storage! If not collected send them to auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

4ensic15 wrote: »

Is there a reasonable timeline that this can be done within? also how would you suggest charging for storage e.g. per sq/m

Is there a reasonable timeline that this can be done within? also how would you suggest charging for storage e.g. per sq/m

usually 8 weeks is ample. Charge by the space consumed. Cb/m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

usually 8 weeks is ample. Charge by the space consumed. Cb/m

don#t do this as you will be liable for any losses incurred by the previous tenant. Legally afaik you should store the items safely for a period of 12 months and make reasonable efforts to contact the owner. if not claimed then you may dispose of the items.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The issue is not yours to deal with.
    If the other party was on the original lease it is up to the landlord to work this out. Not you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The issue is not yours to deal with.
    If the other party was on the original lease it is up to the landlord to work this out. Not you.

the landlord is quite laissez-faire, i think the key thing is that the rent gets paid and that's it, so don't want to go barking up their tree, especially in the current climate. So if i'm right you can assume ownership after 12 months then?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Legally afaik you should store the items safely for a period of 12 months and make reasonable efforts to contact the owner. if not claimed then you may dispose of the items.

Have you got a link to that law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If the tenant has left items there then the landlord or owner of the property is responsible for their safe keeping.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    don#t do this as you will be liable for any losses incurred by the previous tenant. Legally afaik you should store the items safely for a period of 12 months and make reasonable efforts to contact the owner. if not claimed then you may dispose of the items.

There is no such law. You are making up a 12 month limit. There is no obligation on anyone to store the property of another. If they have charge of it they only have to give the owner reasonable notice that they can no longer retain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

How much stuff are you talking about, are you in house or apartment, I'd be inclined to leave it in garden if I was you. Maybe get in touch and tell them as they havn't picked it up you assume they don't want it and will be giving it to charity shop in the next week, that might light a bit of fire up their ass if they really want it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement