Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mechanic ripped off my 80 year old gran

• 14-11-2016 10:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭

To say we're pi$$Ed off is an understatement. My gran has a 2008 seat ibiza for the last 6 year. She doesn't do much milage. She needed two new front tyres so brought the car to a mechanic, as you do. She ended up handing over €420! He pointed out other issues and she required:

2 front break pads
    Fitted 2 'Aoelas' front tyres
    2 hubs
    Topped up the coolant

He told her the parts were €350 and looked for €70 labour. She handed it over without asking any questions.

Surely this is a rip off. Does anybody know how much these parts would be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

sellasheep wrote: »
    Does anybody know how much these parts would be?

If you don't know, then how do you know it was a rip off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is it an Indy or proper retail garage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Why would you bring a car to a mechanic if it only needed tyres ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭sellasheep

We estimated the tyres to be €50 each and the pads at €30 - €50. How could the hubs be €100 each then? I should have been clearer.

Is it an Indy or proper retail garage?

Indy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭PANDDDKP

To say we're pi$$Ed off is an understatement. My gran has a 2008 seat ibiza for the last 6 year. She doesn't do much milage. She needed two new front tyres so brought the car to a mechanic, as you do. She ended up handing over €420! He pointed out other issues and she required:

2 front break pads
    Fitted 2 'Aoelas' front tyres
    2 hubs
    Topped up the coolant

He told her the parts were €350 and looked for €70 labour. She handed it over without asking any questions.

Surely this is a rip off. Does anybody know how much these parts would be?

Sounds a bit excessive..

Because she knows the mechanic and was nervous going to get tyres alone. Look, she's old stock, it's just how age does things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

€70 labour wasnt bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Agreed.

OP tell us more about these hubs that were fitted. Do you mean wheel bearings? Hubs dont just need replacing.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    €70 labour wasnt bad.

Not bad when he more than likely lied about it and charged much more citing parts as the excessive cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭xabi

Hubs? Was it brake discs by any chance, doesn't sound to bad to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

2 hubs really?

brembo26 wrote: »
    Agreed.

OP tell us more about these hubs that were fitted. Do you mean wheel bearings? Hubs dont just need replacing.

I'm not well up on cars but his words to her were 'hubs'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭xabi

Not bad when he more than likely lied about it and charged much more citing parts as the excessive cost.

Why, do you know him/her?

I'm not well up on cars but his words to her were 'hubs'.

Find out what was meant by the hubs and come back to us. We dont even know what was or possibly was fitted so cant give you an accurate answer.

At the moment it doesnt sound overpriced if there was discs fitted as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

So front pads and discs and 2x tyres?

What size were the tyres?

Price is a bit spicey alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭20/20

I'm not well up on cars but his words to her were 'hubs'. ??
    How did you estimate what they cost then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

So just to clear up,
    you have no idea if ripped off or not..

you don't know what the Hub the mechanic was talking about is..

and yet you are p*&sed off and telling people this mechanic ripped your 80 year old granny off

you need to find out what the Hub is.. and if the parts then where OEM or Spurious parts.
    have u a copy of the invoice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

go look at car ,and hopefully he fitted a set of 4 brake pads not 2,is the surface nice and shiny and rust free=new discs fitted. i would also look at centre of front wheel is that nice and shiny and rust free as new hubs are expensive.

plenty of cars need disc replacement because they wear including german cars which are hard on braking.

use micks garage and enter car details and price parts as a guideline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Those tyres while they may be €50 at a tyre fitters they will be charged more by a mechanic who likely will not have them in stock there and then and will either have to order them and fit or else bring the car to a tyre fitters so €60-€70 for the €50 tyre could be reasonable with the additional costs and time involved.

• Advertisement

What size are the tyres? Different sizes different prices...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

Generally a mechanic charges €50 an hour labour so he did less than 1.5hours work on the car and €350 for parts. What kind of rubbish tyres did you buy for €50? Sounds to me like you have completely jumped the gun here and haven't a clue of what things cost so automatically think your gran has been ripped off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

195/65/r15 on that car I think. Depending on brand €50-€120 each.

Pads aftermarket €40ish.
    Pads dealer. Could be €60-€100
    Hubs, ???

It could be disks at €60-€80 aftermarket.
    It could be bearings at €60-€100 each aftermarket.
    Double these for dealer prices.

If he has thrown on a set of triangles and a set of aftermarket pads and given the 'hubs' a polish then you've been ripped off.

If he's our on some decent tyres and replaced discs and pads with dealer parts then he's bang on the money and his Labour rate is great for that job.

You can't just call him our as a cheat until you have the full story/knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

If he's genuine, then he'll have no trouble explaining the price if you ask nicely. Don't go in in a temper, do your best to find out what exactly was fitted and post up the details here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Sono wrote: »
    What kind of rubbish tyres did you buy for €50?

that's the best bit of it all "oh I'm so concerned for my gran" actually means "if it's black and it's round till do like, any ol sh1te at all as long as it's cheap cheap cheap"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

On this car the front wheel bearings are complete hubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Just go and ask him for a receipt for the parts fitted. Tell him you want it as part of the service record. Then you can compare what he fitted with online prices and see if he charged excessive prices.

My inclination is that he charged a fair price but you who appears to have less knowledge on cars than your granny got yourself into a flap over something you haven't the first clue about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

What none of the more acerbic posters here address is the issue that the car was handed over with instructions for new front tires. If I did that and the mechanic decided to replace half the car and present me with a fat bill, I would he pissed off too.

edit:
    OK, I did go too far. Partially withdrawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

For what you've written there, it sounds waay over priced. Hubs, like what 2 new hubcaps? Then that's absolutely a rip off. Go and ask him what he put on the car. My indy mechanic shows me the bits and pieces he changed on my car and gives me a quote before the work and calls me during if he finds other bits, cause he knows, I won't pay him for work he does on the fly unless I've agreed it with him over the phone. I think it's only the right way to be as otherwise, yes, you can feel very overcharged when you arrive to pay for what you think is a 2 tyre fitting and end up with an over 300 euro bill!
    Ask him OP, because that's the only way to know for sure (and that's presuming that he tells you the truth about the work he did).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What none of the more acerbic posters here address is the issue that the car was handed over with instructions for new front tires. If I did that and the mechanic decided to replace half the car and present me with a fat bill, I would he pissed off too.

edit:

I'd say its likely he did ring her and she agreed to it. If the bearing are part of the hubs and she is like most old drivers I've seen, then its understandable that they would need replacing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

screamer wrote: »
    For what you've written there, it sounds waay over priced. Hubs, like what 2 new hubcaps? Then that's absolutely a rip off. Go and ask him what he put on the car. My indy mechanic shows me the bits and pieces he changed on my car and gives me a quote before the work and calls me during if he finds other bits, cause he knows, I won't pay him for work he does on the fly unless I've agreed it with him over the phone. I think it's only the right way to be as otherwise, yes, you can feel very overcharged when you arrive to pay for what you think is a 2 tyre fitting and end up with an over 300 euro bill!
    Ask him OP, because that's the only way to know for sure (and that's presuming that he tells you the truth about the work he did).

Hubcaps? When was this - 1976 ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

If the 2 front hubs were done which is the bearing kit on ibiza's then the price is spot on, but surprised at the 70euro labor as that's quite low.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

edit:

Do you know that the lady didn't tell the garage to proceed with the work, or are you guessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

My brother had to replace both hubs on a fabia of around the same age, nearly sure they were around 80 each spurious. Price doesn't seem too bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

screamer wrote: »

Hubcaps? Where did anyone mention hubcaps??? Hubs and hubcaps are NOT the same thing. I find it strange that people who have literally zero mechanical knowledge continue to frequent this forum and offer their opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Because she is 80 years of age and doesn't know the difference.!!

I reckon the OP should do the repairs from now on since they are obviously so in the know.

I am so fed up of people who go on the internet bashing mechanics who spent years training to become qualified and build a name for themselves just so some clueless eejit can start making out they or someone they know were robbed! And then to top it off they dont even know what work was done :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

We estimated the tyres to be €50 each and the pads at €30 - €50. How could the hubs be €100 each then? I should have been clearer.

Hubs online for front of my astra are over 200 so 100 each and only 70 labour is damn good taking in amount of work needed to change them.
    http://www.micksgarage.com/search/wheel bearing kits/opel/opel astra/astra h sport hatch 2005 to 2009/2.0 turbo/240

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

edburg wrote: »
    Hubs online for front of my astra are over 200 so 100 each and only 70 labour is damn good taking in amount of work needed to change them.
    http://www.micksgarage.com/search/wheel%20bearing%20kits/opel/opel%20astra/astra%20h%20sport%20hatch%202005%20to%202009/2.0%20turbo/240

The real question is why did someone let their mother/granny, of that age, go to a mechanics, alone, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

rat_race wrote: »
    The real question is why did someone let their mother/granny, of that age, go to a mechanics, alone, etc?

Because as his posts clearly show, he hasn't the first clue about anything to do with cars.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

rat_race wrote: »

What is the age threshold where you're no longer able bring a car to a mechanic on your own?
    If the person is competent enough to drive alone then they are more than competent to talk to a mechanic (they may not understand what they're told by the mechanic hence why questions were invented many years ago)!

Advertisement