Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift ideas for electrician

Options
  • 14-11-2016 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭

Bit of an odd one but I have to buy a Christmas gift for someone who is a third year apprentice with the ESB. I was just wondering if there is any tool or equipment that I could perhaps purchase that would be useful to him.

I believe he was provided with a basic enough set of equipment when he started, screwdrivers, relatively cheap multimeter etc. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Budget is €300. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

ESB are well looked after when it comes to tools and clothing so doubt there is much you could get him for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

meath4sam wrote: »
    ESB are well looked after when it comes to tools and clothing so doubt there is much you could get him for work.

Thanks. I thought there might be something he may be missing but obviously I can't ask him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Thanks. I thought there might be something he may be missing but obviously I can't ask him.

I can understand the dilemma but as said, the ESB aren't short of a few quid for their staff. Maybe get something useful in the tool dept that they can use outside of work. €300 is a nice budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Does it have to be work related? I know if it was me I'd prefer a non work related gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Look at the Facebook page 'On the tools'. It is the joe.ie/lad Bible equivalent for trades people and they have some quirky stuff on their site shop. Could be worth a try?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Look at the Facebook page 'On the tools'. It is the joe.ie/lad Bible equivalent for trades people and they have some quirky stuff on their site shop. Could be worth a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

ESB NTs are only supposed to use tools and equipment that are obtained through ESB stores. This is because the tools and equipment have to be approved for use by ESB staff. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is maybe a good socket set or spanners(standard non-insulated). Most lads use teng tools so you should get a decent enough set for your budget

Rackstar wrote: »
    Does it have to be work related? I know if it was me I'd prefer a non work related gift.

No it doesn't have to be. I'm just thinking about it. I'd like to get him something that would be actually useful to him rather than a gift that he'll never use.

Thanks. I'll have a look at it.

Luckysasha wrote: »
    ESB NTs are only supposed to use tools and equipment that are obtained through ESB stores. This is because the tools and equipment have to be approved for use by ESB staff. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is maybe a good socket set or spanners(standard non-insulated). Most lads use teng tools so you should get a decent enough set for your budget

Ah I wasn't aware of that. Thanks. I'll have a look at the socket sets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Wish i had someone like you 20yrs ago!! Speaking as a former ESB apprentice i still have most of my original toolkit. Some of the tools were cheap and i got a more resilient version. Found it hard to get supervisors to approve extra tools at the time. Certain tools mostly insulated would have to be ESB approved and issued.
    A set of spanners and socket set 1/4 and 1/2 inch drive would be a good bet and would be needed in the future. A few long pattern screwdrivers (9-12 inch shaft )are fierce handy i find. A good hammer is nice too. Estwing are good but dear. €50 for a standard claw hammer. No doubt tools and requirements have moved on since my time but might give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

if you want to go tools then maybe a nice Fluke Multimeter . or a good socket set . insulated Nut drivers are really useful tools aswell make life a lot easier .
    other than that insulated screwdrivers . brands like FLUKE and WERA and KNIPEX are top tier id be delighted to get them .or even Bahco are very good and reasonably priced

or maybe a nice Snickers jacket if he doesnt already have a good jacket . snikers is a very popular clothing brand in the trades . they make great gear and are easily got in ireland
    http://www.snickersworkwear.ie/

a good pair of boots maybe . too many tradesmen buy cheap and its a mistake as your on your feet most of the day and cheap boots will wreck your feet in the long run . Brands like Haix are very good . have a pair on me at the moment and they are like slippers and they offer a 2 year guarantee that they back up (ive used it in the past no problems) https://www.haix.co.uk/ but check and see what standard of boot he needs it may need to be insulated if he works in esb

as a trade myself i can ay id be well happy to receive any of the above :)

EDIT : looks like the esb already supply Haix boots so probably no point in getting them http://bondsafety.com/esb/ .

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shopper2011

Assuming he has a standard car licience, then driving lessons for C class (3500kg+). Think you need to be 21. Guessing it would be very handy for someone at his stage in his career to learn to drive some of the bigger vehicles and trucks, while hes younger. It might open doors for him better than a hammer or socket set.

Wish i had someone like you 20yrs ago!! Speaking as a former ESB apprentice i still have most of my original toolkit. Some of the tools were cheap and i got a more resilient version. Found it hard to get supervisors to approve extra tools at the time. Certain tools mostly insulated would have to be ESB approved and issued.
    A set of spanners and socket set 1/4 and 1/2 inch drive would be a good bet and would be needed in the future. A few long pattern screwdrivers (9-12 inch shaft )are fierce handy i find. A good hammer is nice too. Estwing are good but dear. €50 for a standard claw hammer. No doubt tools and requirements have moved on since my time but might give you an idea.

Some good ideas there. Thanks very much.

if you want to go tools then maybe a nice Fluke Multimeter . or a good socket set . insulated Nut drivers are really useful tools aswell make life a lot easier .
    other than that insulated screwdrivers . brands like FLUKE and WERA and KNIPEX are top tier id be delighted to get them .or even Bahco are very good and reasonably priced

or maybe a nice Snickers jacket if he doesnt already have a good jacket . snikers is a very popular clothing brand in the trades . they make great gear and are easily got in ireland
    http://www.snickersworkwear.ie/

a good pair of boots maybe . too many tradesmen buy cheap and its a mistake as your on your feet most of the day and cheap boots will wreck your feet in the long run . Brands like Haix are very good . have a pair on me at the moment and they are like slippers and they offer a 2 year guarantee that they back up (ive used it in the past no problems) https://www.haix.co.uk/ but check and see what standard of boot he needs it may need to be insulated if he works in esb

as a trade myself i can ay id be well happy to receive any of the above :)

EDIT : looks like the esb already supply Haix boots so probably no point in getting them http://bondsafety.com/esb/ .

Yeah he has Haix boots already. Massive sturdy yokes! He has Snickers trousers but I'll look at the jackets. Thanks. The Fluke stuff looks good too.

Assuming he has a standard car licience, then driving lessons for C class (3500kg+). Think you need to be 21. Guessing it would be very handy for someone at his stage in his career to learn to drive some of the bigger vehicles and trucks, while hes younger. It might open doors for him better than a hammer or socket set.

He actually did his C test already. I think they need it for some of the larger ESB vehicles. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

A good sturdy toolbox /carrier would be a good addition. In my day all we got was a metal cantilever mechanics toolbox. An awful thing.
    This is what i have now. Tools all visible and accessible and has some nice storage as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Just a heads up. No point buying clothing. ESB are introducing a policy where all clothing worn at work must be arc protective. There are new long sleeve polo shirts being trailed at the moment and soon it will be compulsory to wear all arc protective clothing issued by ESB. Footwear is supplied on a yearly basis or whenever required and must be of an approved type and in date. Same with fluke meters. To be honest buying tools for ESB lads is not a great idea. I know of Some supervisors who would actually confiscate tools if they weren't ESB issued. One thing about ESB when it comes to tools and equipment is if you need it you will get it, ok it might take you a few years to build up a collection of stuff but I have never seen a lad being refused stuff

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Just a heads up. No point buying clothing. ESB are introducing a policy where all clothing worn at work must be arc protective. There are new long sleeve polo shirts being trailed at the moment and soon it will be compulsory to wear all arc protective clothing issued by ESB. Footwear is supplied on a yearly basis or whenever required and must be of an approved type and in date. Same with fluke meters. To be honest buying tools for ESB lads is not a great idea. I know of Some supervisors who would actually confiscate tools if they weren't ESB issued. One thing about ESB when it comes to tools and equipment is if you need it you will get it, ok it might take you a few years to build up a collection of stuff but I have never seen a lad being refused stuff

Thanks for the advice. It's looking like a change of plan may be needed for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

What about power tools for himself to use outside the job?

eyeing up a multi tool like this myself at the moment > http://www.mcquillantools.ie/dewalt-dcs355d1-18v-cordless-multi-tool-1-x-2ah-battery/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I like these :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭pat_cork

A good ladder http://www.atrick.ie/ladder-and-scaffolding-suppliers-manufactures/waku-ladders/waku-original-industrial-aluminium-folding-telescopic-combination-ladder.html

I'm looking for one myself for Christmas/birthday so if anyone sees a better price please let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Veto pro pac, outrageously expensive tool bags.no idea if they re any good but I want one.

Advertisement