Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Road bike under €1000

Options
  • 15-11-2016 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Have been researching this one for a while, but I haven't been able to pick anything out just yet.
    I'm looking for a >8kg bike, don't mind which material for frame (although carbon at this price is probably out of budget), that would be also good for racing which I hope to get into down the line. I do a lot of climbing, so I assume the lighter the bike the better, but are there any other things bike wise that could help one go faster up a hill?
    If anyone knows a good model for around that prize range, or who is thinking of selling a bike for around that, please let me know, I'd be very interested! Cheers for your replies in advance :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Hi all,
    Have been researching this one for a while, but I haven't been able to pick anything out just yet.
    I'm looking for a >8kg bike, don't mind which material for frame (although carbon at this price is probably out of budget), that would be also good for racing which I hope to get into down the line. I do a lot of climbing, so I assume the lighter the bike the better, but are there any other things bike wise that could help one go faster up a hill?
    If anyone knows a good model for around that prize range, or who is thinking of selling a bike for around that, please let me know, I'd be very interested! Cheers for your replies in advance :-)

Under 8kg under 1k and new I doubt you find any.

I bought myself a Cannondale Synapse Sora 2017 model for 850.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

Galego wrote: »
    Under 8kg under 1k and new I doubt you find any.

I bought myself a Cannondale Synapse Sora 2017 model for 850.

Yeah I've since realised that less than 9 kg is more realistic at that price range.

thomasm wrote: »

Seems like a good bike, the problem I have is that I don't want to be spending €1000 on a bike and then having to get a new bike in a few years if I do some more racing. I know at 1000 your options are limited, but I kinda want a bike to last, and not just an entry level bike. Don't know if it's possible to do at my price range unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

If the sizing works, hard to beat this for value, slightly over your €1k mark though,

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/radon-r1-ultegra-465306/wg_id-657

Felt F6 would get you in on budget, again depending on sizing.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/felt-f6-468543/wg_id-657

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

At that price point the weak link, and biggest contributor to extra weight is more than likely going to be the wheels.

So go for the best possible frame is what I would say, therefore if you go and upgrade the wheels yourself at a later date, you'll see an immediate and tangible benefit/upgrade.

The Boardman road team carbon falls into that category - decent frameset, sh1te wheels, and is a great bike at a grand at the moment if you ask me.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-road-team-carbon-bike.

Course second hand is where the real value is at if you're open to a bit of mouse-work and leg-work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Hi all,

What height are you or what frame size ?

2nd hand or nearly new there are plenty of deals out there .

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I'm surprised at the fall-off in what you can get since last year or year before tbh. Cube have definitely regressed - their components are a big step down from a few years ago.

What height are you or what frame size ?

2nd hand or nearly new there are plenty of deals out there .

Frame size 56/58cm. In order to avail of the best second hand bargains, where would a good place to look be?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭PaddyPope

Hi all,

I was in the same boat as yourself. I was doing the bike to work scheme and wanted a decent enough road bike under 1k to use for work and leisure spins during the week. I decided to go with the 2017 Cube Attain (link below). Cost me 750 in Dublin2Bike. Only got it yesterday so I haven't had a chance to take her out for a spin but the spec is decent and she's mighty pretty.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/cube-attain-road-bike-2017/rp-prod154519

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Rose have the PRO SL-1000 available for 900. A smidgen over your weight limit @ 8.2kgs and comes with a 10 speed Tiagra groupset. Or you could spend an extra 200 for the 11-speed 105- equipped SL2000 model (same frame).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

The Cannondale CAAD8 is a racing bike and can be had for under 700. Bike is at 8.8kg as it comes. Upgrade wheels, tyres and group set and you have yourself a very decent racing bike well under 8kg....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Galego wrote: »
    The Cannondale CAAD8 is a racing bike and can be had for under 700. Bike is at 8.8kg as it comes. Upgrade wheels, tyres and group set and you have yourself a very decent racing bike well under 8kg....

And will have spent 2k and not 1k.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I picked up one of these for €995 about a month ago, although I think it was one of the previous models (SE0.1?).
    Plus €150 for shoes and pedals

Carbon fibre with Tiagra group set, I'm really pleased with it

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭laraido

You could go the Canyon route. This one has an aluminium frame with 105 groupset @ 8.1kg for €1099. OR this one is also aluminium with a lower specced Tiagra groupset @ 8.7kg for €899.
    Both would be a lot more in shops here for the bike you're getting.

And yes, the lighter you are, the faster you will climb hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I've never owned a Vitus bike but this seems good value for Ultegra and disk brake, though it's €1200
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-bikes-zenium-sl-pro-disc-road-bike-2016/rp-prod135400

I've never owned a Vitus bike but this seems good value for Ultegra and disk brake, though it's €1200
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-bikes-zenium-sl-pro-disc-road-bike-2016/rp-prod135400

Looks great, but it's actually only £899 on Chain Reaction using pounds, which works out at €1047. Ripping us Irish off!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Vitus are actually grand bikes. I'm on a Razor VRL, which is Aluminum/Carbon and Sora. Not the lightest bikes, or the best looking, but great value I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭secman

I bought a second hand caad 9 , aluminium frame, carbon forks, carbon seat post, carbon crankset, carbon saddle, fulcrum wheels and full ultegra groupset . Great nick , really well looked after bike. Picked it up for €780. Was close your 2.5k new. Really happy with it.

Advertisement