Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a thread to help reduce build costs?

Options
  • 15-11-2016 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

There seems to be quite a stream of posts where houses have been granted planning permission and the person comes on here only to find that they get a shock with the prices being quoted to build the house to current regs. Pretty poor on the Architects part not to advise the client on what they can hope to achieve on their budget and help them with a design that will hopefully reduce cost.

So I was thinking that a thread that outlined some design advice which may help boardsies that are are planning on engaging with an architect and make them aware of what can increase or decrease their build cost. Might even be a good sticky?

I'll post a few and see where it goes. There are likely loads more. Mods feel free to change as I might be wrong on some or delete this post if you see fit.

1. Square area - The square area of the house will have a bearing on the cost. Ask yourself if you need such a big area. For example a well designed house of 150sqm could achieve what a poorly designed house of say 200sqm would and as a rule would be cheaper to build.

2. A square 2 story house will have a smaller footprint than a single story house of the same area and will result in a smaller foundation and roof. A simple square or rectangle with less complex foundation and roof has the potential to reduce cost. Also simple shapes are easier to detail from an airtighness point of view. Square or rectangular can look boring, but can be made to look more interesting with window design, etc.

3. Keeping kitchen, bathrooms, utility room, hot press in the same area or same side of the house or directly above/below each other can reduce the plumbing runs.

4. Do all windows need to have openings. Most houses now will have MVHR units installed for ventilation so openings on all windows are not necessary. These openings on windows cost more to manufacture. Of course they are necessary on escape windows.

5. Do you need an en-suite in every room. Bathrooms are generally quite expensive per sq area. Think bathrooms suites, shower enclosures, shower units, tiles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

There is a simple answer, get a proper cost plan done before you apply for planning.........a simple pathway to a less stressful route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

No hassle Please feel free to delete this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

gooner99 wrote: »
    No hassle Please feel free to delete this thread.

I don't for a second disagree with your thread but it's the age old sticking plaster and attempt to bolt the door after horse is gone mentality. If people follow the correct pathway on costs through the stages they simply will not end up in this position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

I think I outlined in the original post that there are members coming on here after they have gained planning and were shocked at the quotes they were getting. So I thought from that it was clear that in some cases they are not getting realistic or indeed any costing advice from the professionals drawing up the plans. I just thought that it might be helpful for those who hadn't yet engaged with a designer or sought permission to have an idea of what can reduce/add cost before they engage with such professionals. At the very least it may prompt them to think about and bring up budgets with the designer at the outset. It could save them from the costly path of changing plans and reapplying not to mention have their hopes raised and then dashed. It's debatable I guess who should be bringing up budgets (the professional/designer I would have thought), but if it's not nailed down prior to design as you rightly say there is only one loser!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

I think I outlined in the original post that there are members coming on here after they have gained planning and were shocked at the quotes they were getting. So I thought from that it was clear that in some cases they are not getting realistic or indeed any costing advice from the professionals drawing up the plans. I just thought that it might be helpful for those who hadn't yet engaged with a designer or sought permission to have an idea of what can reduce/add cost before they engage with such professionals.

And you are correct - it is very helpful.

We have followed your points apart from 3 and 4 and I would have preferred to follow 1 but how-n-ever!

We are finished roofing stage and here are some money saving initiatives to date which would probably be only applicable to Self-Building

Materials - price, price and price again, despite being told there is very little difference between builders providers, there is! Also - get used to bargaining, even if it is outside your comfort zone which it is for most

Materials - ask the tradesmen for advise on sourcing materials

Quotes v' Invoice - once you get your material quotes, make sure they match the Invoices when they come through

Labour - Do as much as you can yourself - some examples where I have laboured to date - groundworks, chimney caps, door plinths, air tightness
    taping.

Trades - talk to a lot of people before deciding on your tradesmen and DO NOT choose the cheapest because they are the cheapest, it will cost more in the long term to fix a bad job than do a good job

In general I have found that this board is very reflective of real life in that people who have been through the process are very generous with their advise so get chatting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

There seems to be quite a stream of posts where houses have been granted planning permission and the person comes on here only to find that they get a shock with the prices being quoted to build the house to current regs. Pretty poor on the Architects part not to advise the client on what they can hope to achieve on their budget and help them with a design that will hopefully reduce cost.

So I was thinking that a thread that outlined some design advice which may help boardsies that are are planning on engaging with an architect and make them aware of what can increase or decrease their build cost. Might even be a good sticky?

I'll post a few and see where it goes. There are likely loads more. Mods feel free to change as I might be wrong on some or delete this post if you see fit.

1. Square area - The square area of the house will have a bearing on the cost. Ask yourself if you need such a big area. For example a well designed house of 150sqm could achieve what a poorly designed house of say 200sqm would and as a rule would be cheaper to build.

2. A square 2 story house will have a smaller footprint than a single story house of the same area and will result in a smaller foundation and roof. A simple square or rectangle with less complex foundation and roof has the potential to reduce cost. Also simple shapes are easier to detail from an airtighness point of view. Square or rectangular can look boring, but can be made to look more interesting with window design, etc.

3. Keeping kitchen, bathrooms, utility room, hot press in the same area or same side of the house or directly above/below each other can reduce the plumbing runs.

4. Do all windows need to have openings. Most houses now will have MVHR units installed for ventilation so openings on all windows are not necessary. These openings on windows cost more to manufacture. Of course they are necessary on escape windows.

5. Do you need an en-suite in every room. Bathrooms are generally quite expensive per sq area. Think bathrooms suites, shower enclosures, shower units, tiles.

Great idea for a thread.

Just some notes from my own experience :

1. Spot on, and remember when the family grows up a smaller house will be easier looked after and heated.

2. Correct, but does depend on the site, and a single story has big advantages if you plan on growing old there.

3. True, but a huge concern, it would only be a very small saving in comparison to the overall cost of the house, and become too obsessed with it will often result in a compromised design / layout.

4. Similar points to 3.

5. Fully agree, also every extra ensuite and bathroom means a lot extra cleaning an upkeep for the person cleaning them week in week out. A grumpy partner who resents cleaning them week in week out after a few years is not what you want.

6. I'd also add don't skimp on a decent sized utility room, it's a false economy.

7. Any materials you buy, make sure they are properly tested and certified, including roof timbers.
    - You don't want to end up with structural problems with mica and suchlike when the house is finished.

8. Don't skimp on the tradesmen you choose, it'll cost you in the long run.
    Get the most local long established professionals you can find, they might cost a bit more, but it'll save you money and constant heartache on future maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭893bet

Size. Unless you plan on having 4 kids then 200sqm is loads.

Lots of people still building 280-350sqm. A life of heating, cleaning and maintaining.

Advertisement