Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Doc on Limerick and Sport

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Must have a listen.

Is our interest in sport really any greater than that of other cities though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

zulutango wrote: »
    Must have a listen.

Is our interest in sport really any greater than that of other cities though?

It would be for the size of the city and population, going by the documentary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Listened to this earlier. I wouldn't say it's any different in Cork to be honest.
    They interviewed Olympic hopefuls in UL. That's not to say it's because of the love of sport in the city that they are in UL though.

Did I get the stat wrong: Surprised there were only a 1,000 people playing soccer every weekend. Thought it would be more, but it's a lot all the same for a small place. Hopefully it can be reflected in a strong LoI team and support in the future.

The Limerick hurling supporters sounded like a bunch of scobes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I'd imagine sport is loved all over the country, it is that kind of a nation...but Limerick branded itself as a Sporting Capital during the 00s, as a direct attempt to challenge the other dominant narrative...

The truth is that Cork would probably be the countrys most successful sporting city, GAA football/hurling/rugby and football (soccer) along with a host of niche sports like hockey/rowing/tennis/basketball etc are all played there, although a lot of them are played here as well, there are greater numbers in Cork, it is a nice bit bigger than Limerick.

From an infrastructure point of view, between the GAA stadium, Thomond Park, Markets Field (the latter two are steeped in history), the Racecourse in Patrickswell, the Greyhound Staduim, the training base/sporting facitilies in UL, the championship Golf course being built in Adare would suggest that this city has invested much more than any other city in its venues for whatever that is worth.

I didn't listen to the documentary but I'm willing to guess it started along the lines of..."Limerick, a city once nearly destroyed by gangland violence" or some such nonsense...we must be the most "documented" city in the country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Well, Andy Lee narrates most of it. They do refer to the problems at the start of it. But they have nothing to do with sport.

• Advertisement
Advertisement