Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat in Apartment

• 15-11-2016 6:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I know this has been asked before but I hope you don't mind if I ask again in my own way.

I grew up on a farm in the country. We always had cats and dogs, especially cats.

As per the the thread title, I live in an apartment, on the second floor.

I would really love to have a pet of my own, I've never owned one myself, as I've never really settled. I'm not really settled now either but I've been in my apt for 2 years.

There is no way I will ever live in the country or have a house with a garden. But because of that I think I'm excluded from keeping a pet cat. It' not so much the rules but I think it would be mean. As I said I grew up on a farm where all our pets were allowed to roam around as much as they liked and then come into the house when they wanted.

Having said that, my sister still lives at home on the farm house and the cat's can't seem to stop coming indoors. If they are not indoors they are mostly sitting outside on the window sill.

And that's what I'm concerned about. My cat couldn't possibly sit on the windows sill because it's too high up. They wouldn't have anywhere to run around outdoors. Then again I cycle and I see so many dead cats on the road ( that makes me so sad) that I think maybe they will live more safely If I'm looking after then.

I have no problem with getting a kitten so that It would be used to living indoors from the get go. Then again, I really don't want to pay for one and I would like to take a cat from animal rescue. I have heard people say it's okay to keep a cat in an apartment, but I'm not sure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

It's fine, I have two. Get a cat tree for inside the window so they can still sit high safely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Laura_A

I have two kittens (now approx 6/7 months old) got them at 12 and 14 weeks and there isn't a bother on them.. Indoor cats can be just as happy and they don't need mountains of space.. I wasn't that keen on the idea in the beginning but even took a second one 3 weeks after we got the first kitten and now the two of them keep each other entertained when we are at work.. Both are rescue kittens from a cat charity in the city centre/north dub so if you need a recommendation just PM me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

My girl, who is allowed outside, is sitting here next to me and in the past week she has turned away from going outside several days. She prefers being in and comfy with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

My cat lives indoors only, first in an apartment and now in a house. I do take her around the garden on a leash a few times a week, but only started that recently. She seems very happy to me. I got her from a rescue when she was a few years old already.

I'd say go to the rescue of your choice and tell them you're looking for a cat who's used to being indoors only. You'll need to provide a bit more stimulation for indoor cats, play with them regularly etc, but if you do that then I'm sure your cat will be happy. If you live in an apartment and/or rent then make sure first that you're actually allowed to keep pets though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Thinking of getting a cat myself, but my apartment is carpeted. Worried about the hairs getting everywhere! Anyone with a cat in a similar situation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Laura_A wrote: »
    I have two kittens (now approx 6/7 months old) got them at 12 and 14 weeks and there isn't a bother on them.. Indoor cats can be just as happy and they don't need mountains of space.. I wasn't that keen on the idea in the beginning but even took a second one 3 weeks after we got the first kitten and now the two of them keep each other entertained when we are at work.. Both are rescue kittens from a cat charity in the city centre/north dub so if you need a recommendation just PM me :)

Okay thanks all, thats reassured me. The question now is do I get two !

I'm in the west of the country so I'll have to find out where my nearest rescue center is. Thank's for offer though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a cat myself, but my apartment is carpeted. Worried about the hairs getting everywhere! Anyone with a cat in a similar situation?

They will, you just have to live with that. The best you can do is get a short-haired cat and groom it regularly to minimise the shedding. And hoover a lot.

Advertisement