Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anonymous posting on E&BM

Options
  • 15-11-2016 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I'm wondering do many others think that being able to post anonymously in this forum would be great?

The more you post, the more others become familiar with who you are and what you do, which is great, but when it comes to discussing more sensitive topics I find myself holding back on either contributing to threads or starting my own.

I've created new accounts in the past, but it's a lot of hassle, so most times the question I wanted to ask just goes unanswered or the comment I wanted to leave isn't posted.

Thoughts?

Should we try a trial period of allowing Anonymous posts in this forum? 16 votes

Yes, it's worth giving it a go
    0% 0 votes
    No, there's no point
    100% 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

That's an interesting idea. Might be worth trialing for a few weeks, see how it goes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Just a heads up on one of the main differences between normal posts and anonymous - all unregistered or anon threads and posts have to be manually approved by the forum moderators so it may take some time for them to appear.

Any unregistered threads or posts which breach the charter of the forum or are inappropriate would obviously not be approved.

Lets see what the feedback is and if its something theres an interest in I will ask Dudara to organise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

The issue I see with it is that the thread may have moved on and the anon post will be well out of sync!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Do it, review it, change it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

Great idea. Boards and other forums (I only use Boards myself) are one of the very few places you can have any privacy or anonymity online anymore!

For me, I would find that very useful and it would probably change the forum and the dynamic of the forum infinitely for the better. It sure does need a shake up and an injection of life, that's for sure.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I think it's a good idea but I could have sworn this was suggested a few months back and dismissed?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Worth a trial period at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

mrawkward wrote: »
    The issue I see with it is that the thread may have moved on and the anon post will be well out of sync!!

The anon post, once approved, will appear in the timeline at the time it was submitted (not approved).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Could never figure out how to post anonymously. Is there a link somewhere to show you how? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This is taken from the Personal Issues forum charter
    Posting Unregistered

If you have a problem you're embarrassed about, then feel free to use the "Guest" option to post. You can do this by logging out and then posting. Abuse of this will not be tolerated.

Anyone can post anonymously by logging out (if registered) and posting a reply. If you are not registered you may still post, your nickname would be seen as "Unregistered".

You change the name of "Unregistered" to something else, please consider doing this for clarity's sake so that your posts can be identified and we do not have several people using the function at the same time all listed as "Unregistered" with in the one thread.

Also, your name and IP address will not be shown to the general public. However, this cannot be abused, please. The owners/Administrators of boards.ie do have the powers to view any post's IP address but only as a last resort.

Anonymity is sacred but trouble making is most definitely not.

If you are a regular user posting as unregistered you cannot edit your unregistered post. And the Mods on Personal Issues cannot guarantee to edit your post the next morning if you have any regrets about what you posted. As we cannot guarantee that you are the original poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I don't see the point TBH. It's simply moving deckchairs, much more basic changes need to be made and should have taken place by now, particularly given the view-count/response rate on all the the suggestions made to date.
    Look at the last few dozen recent thread titles - a simple search of Google or the forum would have found the correct advice or that the thread OP question was banned by the charter (school projects, other homework, spamming).

To change this now is a complete fur ball that gets admin out of jail for delay and obfuscation on any real reform. Appoint Arlene and Theresa I say! Geoffrey will do backstop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

If you want full anonymity then go to 4chan or ask, it has no place here, especially on this sub as regular posters are recognised for their fields of specialty. I can appreciate where it's needed, in such subs as personal or work problems, but it would serve absolutely no purpose here whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I don't think it would be a positive step at all

People post here looking for real world experiences, real world advice from posters who can give it. It's not a game, money and livelihoods are at stake. Quite often I would see a post made by someone giving an OP advice that is simply just wrong / been googled / or given from the customers viewpoint whereas it's the business owners viewpoint that is asked for and required. These instances will be greatly magnified if there is no ability to search the users previous posts to see if they are a 24 year old just out of college.

I personally would not post a response to a topic unless I have personal real world experience of the issue the poster has. I would sometimes give my opinion on a general business related topic as I have a good number of years experiences in various industries and I have pretty much made very mistake in the book during that time so I can be of some value imo.

I'd only give a very specific detailed reply within my area of expertise. By going anon all the above benefits are lost. Posters new and old will have no idea of the quality and understanding of the reply they have gotten. There are a few posters here that are really a superb asset and have top class business fundementals and the ability to transcribe them to particular problems a poster may be having.

Making the forum open to random comment, we invite the hollow vessels that pervade the world of Internet forums.

There is no such thing as looking embarrassed on a forum that is here to support each other. I would ask any question here if I needed advice or help with it. I cannot grasp why on earth anyone would have anything to be embarrassed about.

Everyone makes mistakes that they look back on and laugh at themselves, shake their head and learn from, and don't repeat them again. That's what makes us good at what we do.

Just my 2c worth !

Advertisement