Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Ninjas!

Options
  • 15-11-2016 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Over the past couple of weeks, probably since the clocks changed, I have noticed a bigger number of bike ninjas or another term for these individuals could be, complete and utter spanners, with no lights and dressed in dark clothing mooching along the roads.

I pity the motorist that will inevitably end up clipping one of these characters!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Its actually these Ninjas that never get clipped and never learn the lesson, Much like the RLJs that are always that little bit clear of the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I have met a few such ninja's recently.....

One genius on the road from Enniskerry to Glencree last week in the pitch dark...
    Rear light on and as I approached he had a nice big light upfront not turned on!!!
    When I enquired to why he didn't have his front light on he replied "because I can see!".....
    Thankfully he went off in another direction............
    Seen the same fella two nights later much later on again no front light on.

And to balance out the madness two walkers around Blessington lake pitch dark with just a not so Hi viz vest on....
    Stopped and had a word with the walker to tell him he couldn't be seen.

Like WTF are we dealing with ridiculous carry on. BE SAFE BE SEEN!!!

RANT over.......

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

some people are a bit clueless indeed.

I had a near miss with one of these said bike ninjas.

Was coming out of my estate in the car, turning left and someone zipped in front of the car completely dressed in black, no lights, no hi vis.

Frightened the life out of me, i came quite close to clipping them with the car. They were completely oblivious.

thankfully there are loads of folk out there who know how to be seen, saw one guy the other night with a front light that could have been seen from space :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

You tend to see a lot of students around this time of year with no lights on their bikes. Unfortunately if you were to listen to the RSA once ya throw on your Builders hi-viz bib you will be grand! Hi-Viz is only really suitable for low light conditions like on a overcast day

These guys do a good video on clothing and lighting. Basically reflective panels(on your clothing or bike) and mid range lights are the best way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

5 kids were out playing in the estate when I was going home last night they went to cross the road . The one kid in the hi vis stepped out and proceeded to cross his 4 ninja mates called him
    Back as it wasn't safe.

A hi vis doesn't make a ninja any safer than a ninja.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

last year i thought i was catching the cyclist who was a bit ahead of me up the road. I was wondering why he was cycling on the wrong side of the road.

I was catching him very quickly, and i was amazed to see that he had a red light on the FRONT and a white light on the Rear and was actually cycling towards me! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

ugh between that and the odd car you see who forget to turn on the lights as well I am surprised there is not a greater number of candidates for the Darwin awards.

I think its this time of year mainly - seems to take people a few weeks to cop on that it is dark for the commute home and then bother their arse to find/ buy lights

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Scary scenario.
    What about all the Ninjas you pass..........
    ......and don't see!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I'm always amazed by the number of people that I can't see that I manage to see. 20/20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Unintentional Nijitsu.
    Hit what can only be described as a ww1 trench of a pothole on the north side of Merrion Square on the way out of town the other night. The thing extends all the way across the bus lane and half way into the driving lane making it tricky to avoid completely. I hit it hard. My rear light dismantled itself and scattered batteries and lamp lenses across the road. Didn't figure out what had happened until I got home and noticed all was not right with the lamp. It's happened previously, but I've always spotted what happened and managed to retrieve the bits of lamp on the road. not so this time. Annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I was catching him very quickly, and i was amazed to see that he had a red light on the FRONT and a white light on the Rear and was actually cycling towards me! :eek:

I started to pull out in front of an oncoming bike (I was also on a bike) a few years ago, because he had done the same: red at the front, white at the rear. In a split second my brain said: he's heading away from you, you can go. (No harm done: a split second later my brain told me to brake hard, as he wasn't heading away at all.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Plastik wrote: »
    I'm always amazed by the number of people that I can't see that I manage to see. 20/20.

You can hone your Ninja Detection Radar by watching the RTE Lotto add and timing yourself how fast you can make out the "foliage ninja" beside the bin.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Thud

they usually have just pedal reflectors to give you a hint that they are there

In the city, city centre at least, I don't really have much trouble seeing people dressed in black with no lights, provided they don't shoot out of a side road unexpectedly or something like that.

I mean, I think people should use lights, and I use more and better lights than the average person, but cities have street lighting and if you're in 50km/h zone, there's usually plenty of time to see people. If an unlit cyclist comes up your side when you're preparing to turn left it might end badly alright, or if it's raining heavily, when it's hard to see anything. But otherwise, I don't think it's quite as bad as generally perceived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Cycling home from Citywest to the City Centre every evening , via the canal, I see a lot of ninjas. And that canal greenway isn't very well lit in places. Had the sh1t scared out of me a couple of times..

Walkers on that stretch are just as obscured by shadows. Really have to watch out for them.

On the other end of the spectrum, there was one guy the other night cycling towards me that I could see from about a mile away. By the time he passed me, his light was so bright, I had to look away, and had spots in my eyes afterwards and had to slow down.. Blind cycling is also scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Lights lights lights lights LIGHTS.

The RSA has utterly failed Road users with its fetishistic (in all senses) fixation on clothing.

Meanwhile the basic legal requirement of a white light at the front and red at the back.

Dublin at least is full of people with red front lights or a single light on their helmet or a flashy LED armband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

stecleary wrote: »
    Its actually these Ninjas that never get clipped and never learn the lesson, Much like the RLJs that are always that little bit clear of the bus
    excuse my ignorance, what is an RLJ?

last year i thought i was catching the cyclist who was a bit ahead of me up the road. I was wondering why he was cycling on the wrong side of the road.

excuse my ignorance, what is an RLJ?

natural born genius there so!

natural born genius there so!

• Advertisement

RLJ = red-light jumper

Not to be confused with:

fz44327-026-1x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

By the time he passed me, his light was so bright, I had to look away, and had spots in my eyes afterwards and had to slow down.. Blind cycling is also scary!

Ye some people go a bit OTT alright. The opposite of Ninjas in fact - Nonjas?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Loads of ninjas both on foot and cycling along the Royal Canal. There's a couple of sections where they merge with the bushes so it's very hard to see even with my high powered front light (whihc is white in case you were wondering).

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Loads of ninjas both on foot and cycling along the Royal Canal. There's a couple of sections where they merge with the bushes so it's very hard to see even with my high powered front light (whihc is white in case you were wondering).

and in cars. The pre-7am commute seems to consist of >12 year old cars with bits missing, and lights gone awol, presumably on the way to the various building sites that have popped up in the last few months (cos I didn't see half that amount 12 months ago).

But its grand. Laws don't apply until 7am in Dublin, until the traffic cops start their shift.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've noticed an increase in the number of cars with one headlight gone. maybe it's just the fact that lighting up time starts so much earlier at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Dog walking ninjas....another encountered last night on Kilmashogue lane...Owner all in black!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I remember seeing a weird red flashing light one night cycling home in Zurich. It was pitch black and I was cycling on a cycle path next to a river. I saw a strange shaped red flashing light ahead and slowed down. When I passed it, it was someone (almost invisible in dark clothing) walking a dog, using a red led lead and collar. Also often saw runners along the same stretch wearing headlamps. Odd sight at first, plus there was usually one or two in the middle of the group without lamps that you could only see at the last moment

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Dog walking ninjas....another encountered last night on Kilmashogue lane...Owner all in black!
    My Exposure front light is great for taking the dog down our unlit road. Had someone decide to give me very little space last night and he certainly knew when he'd been "flashed"

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I started to pull out in front of an oncoming bike (I was also on a bike) a few years ago, because he had done the same: red at the front, white at the rear. In a split second my brain said: he's heading away from you, you can go. (No harm done: a split second later my brain told me to brake hard, as he wasn't heading away at all.)
    That idiot on the Pinarello with full Sky kit is back on the scene again with his back to front lights. I thought he had got sense or was taken out but encountered him again last week in his natural habitat - Clontarf/Sutton track. I thought I was closing in on him very quickly only to realise his red light was heading directly towards me. What really makes the mind boggle is that occasionally he cycles with others! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I saw at the very last minute a foot pad ninja walking in the middle of the Phoenix park cycling track this evening.
    I have decent lights so "saw" him emerge the darkness at ~15m - enough time to slow, shout a warning and move slightly to his right.
    Heart in mouth more because of the commuter on my wheel.

Anyway, true to form, I said "you really are in the dark " to him which he acknowledged to his credit and made for the footpath.

Makes a change from saying "nice lights" to the ninja cyclists on the track, some of whom don't hear the comment due to wearing headphones.

Advertisement