Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NOS Alive Festival, Lisbon July 6th, 7th ,8th

Options
  • 15-11-2016 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭

Anyone been to this Festival before ? Any tips ? The Foo Fighters headlining has me convinced to go, trying to get a few friends to go

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Went last summer & had a great time, not having to deal with any mud at a festival was a new experience - depending on the breeze it can get a bit dusty though. We stayed in a small Airbnb apartment nearer to Lisbon city centre, right beside Belem. Worked out fantastically. If it's not too expensive I'd recommend it, I'd imagine waking up hungover in a tent in Portugal in July is only slightly worse than waking up hungover in a tent in Hell.

Work out the numbers & see what it'll cost you, it might be cheaper than you think. Great city, great music!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

We went last year.

I'd describe it as an "easy" festival. No need for tents, wellies, dressing for 4 seasons!

We stayed in an airbnb in Lisbon, got the tram out. Had some cheap beers outside. Had some cheapish (4 euro) beers inside. There is a breeze so might be a tiny bit chilly at night. It was very well set up in my eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I am toying with the idea of this or Bilbao BBK, which are on the same weekend. Waiting to see the line ups a bit more before deciding which one to go to, I feel as if line ups for both festivals last year were incredible but concerned that they won't be quite as good (or to my tastes) this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

TherapyBoy wrote:
    Went last summer & had a great time, not having to deal with any mud at a festival was a new experience - depending on the breeze it can get a bit dusty though. We stayed in a small Airbnb apartment nearer to Lisbon city centre, right beside Belem. Worked out fantastically. If it's not too expensive I'd recommend it, I'd imagine waking up hungover in a tent in Portugal in July is only slightly worse than waking up hungover in a tent in Hell.

TherapyBoy wrote:
    Work out the numbers & see what it'll cost you, it might be cheaper than you think. Great city, great music!

Only clocked people had replied to this thread. We booked an Air b and b in Belem, what's getting to the festival site like from there?

threein99 wrote: »
    Only clocked people had replied to this thread. We booked an Air b and b in Belem, what's getting to the festival site like from there?

It's about 2km from Belem tower to the festival site, we just walked it. AirBnb we were staying in was right opposite the tower.

• Advertisement

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    It's about 2km from Belem tower to the festival site, we just walked it. AirBnb we were staying in was right opposite the tower.

It wasn't this place by any chance ? :Dhttps://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/10704992

No, wasn't that place. Your AirBnb place is probably another 2km or so further than ours was from the festival site. You could probably still walk it, it doesn't start til the evening time so although it's still warm it's not unbearable & having the apartment means you won't be carrying anything (other than a small backpack maybe)

IMG_4140.jpg

The green circle is your apartment.
    The red mark was mine.
    The yellow diamond is the festival site.

If you're not up for walking it there'll be buses running but you might have to travel further into the city (and away from the festival) to get one. The short distance means an Uber or taxi would be cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

good festival. location of main stage isn't great. fado venue too small. Most alarmingly tho was the lack of hand washing facilities at the toilets/urinals....

apart from that-it had a great line up last year and very relaxed vibe....

No, wasn't that place. Your AirBnb place is probably another 2km or so further than ours was from the festival site. You could probably still walk it, it doesn't start til the evening time so although it's still warm it's not unbearable & having the apartment means you won't be carrying anything (other than a small backpack maybe)

IMG_4140.jpg

The green circle is your apartment.
    The red mark was mine.
    The yellow diamond is the festival site.

If you're not up for walking it there'll be buses running but you might have to travel further into the city (and away from the festival) to get one. The short distance means an Uber or taxi would be cheap enough.

Cheers.

Did you have one of those custard pasties ? a friend of my was obsessed with them when he was there.

Yeah, there was a fantastic little cafe place around the corner from my AirBnb that sold all sorts of those native cakes/buns/pastries/biscuits etc along with the sandwiches & coffee. We went up there for breakfast the next day & left carrying a few kilos extra! :D

Food at the festival was pretty good from what I remember. They had these weird fried sugar donut-croissant things that I'm still having dreams about, I don't even know what they're called :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Food at the festival was pretty good from what I remember. They had these weird fried sugar donut-croissant things that I'm still having dreams about, I don't even know what they're called :pac:

Was it the churros?? And you could get kinder bueno filling. Unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Phoinex added this morning, will be booking asap I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Yeah, there was a fantastic little cafe place around the corner from my AirBnb that sold all sorts of those native cakes/buns/pastries/biscuits etc along with the sandwiches & coffee. We went up there for breakfast the next day & left carrying a few kilos extra! :D

I think they are called 'churros'?

Wikipedia confirms it's churros! *drools*

Will this sell out by February? Gonna start booking everything, hope it's good.

Mushy wrote: »

Very hard to know, never been before so don't know what the demand for tickets is like early on but once I seen the Foo Fighters added that was enough for me to go.

We got the whole the thing booked for 700 each.

threein99 wrote: »

Very hard to know, never been before so don't what the demand for tickets is like early on but once I seen the Foo Fighters added that was enough for me to go.

We got the whole the thing booked for 700 each.

Yeah exact same for us re not knowing tickets demand. Missus wanted see Phoenix, so when they were announced its just a case of needing to book. Looking at about 450-500 for flights, tickets, airbnb, so great value!

Yeah exact same for us re not knowing tickets demand. Missus wanted see Phoenix, so when they were announced its just a case of needing to book. Looking at about 450-500 for flights, tickets, airbnb, so great value!

We got our flights for 428 for the both of us, flying on the 4th and returning on the 11th.

What sort of band are Phoenix ? not familiar with them.

Oh nice, a little extended holiday there. Think the 5-9 is 200 each now.

They're an indie band, pre-Strokes. Have gotten into a dancier side of it though. If you like strokes, vampire weekend etc you'll probably like them. I'm not fussed myself on them, will watch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

Like many I went last year too. Positives are the weather, Lisbon is cheap, the people are lovely and most speak fluent English.

Cons - there was a horrendous walk coming out of the festival everynight, for safety reasons they close up the underground passage to the train and bus station. You have to walk back over the fly over.. it takes aaaggeees. It's completely understandable but it's a pain if you've been sightseeing all day on your feet.

Lack of toilets is a real issue also, managed to find male stand up urinals which were a bit of walk away from the main stages.. but worth it to avoid the queues and mess.

Amazingly there was also a lack of water drinking facilities which I thought was a bit mad considering the heat. We brought in our own water and just hid the bottle tops.

We stayed in a hostel cAlled Lisbon dream hotel. Was really nice spot and you got breakfast every morning which was amazing after a night out.

Getting to the festival is easy too, there are a number of buses and a train (which we mostly got).

Amazing experience and the complaints were minor. Definitely go

• Advertisement

Booked in now anyway. Had to pay a bit extra cos of flight times and nothing direct from cork but sure what they hey. Should be a good laugh!

Tis high time some bands were announced. I'm hoping Biffys gig in Lisbon tonight is the reason they HD off announcing them!

Savages and Cage the Elephant the latest bands added. Looking forward to Cage the Elephant now!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Do ye think there is a 3rd headliner yet to be announced?
    They have the XX and the Weeknd jointly listed on their advertising but we were presuming they're not headliners.
    Or are we a little out of touch?!!

They have all the headliners announced, their position on the poster gives it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

They have all the headliners announced, their position on the poster gives it away.

Ah that's a pity! Tickets bought anyway but wouldn't have considered the XX and the Weeknd as major headliners like Foo Fighters and Depeche Mode.

Advertisement