Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The orchard in celbridge

Options
  • 15-11-2016 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Was up in the orchard yesterday and they have some beautiful christmas decorations although they are pretty pricey. Do they ever reduce it pre or post christmas does anyone know? Their furniture is beautiful too but again pricey.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They have christmas shopping days where they open late .
    Next one is Thursday 9-9 20% of all christmas stock,music and nibbles 7pm-8:30pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Even at 20% off it's still expensive. There is nothing cheap in that shop tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Orion wrote: »
    Even at 20% off it's still expensive. There is nothing cheap in that shop tbh.

got a flyer from them the other day advertising Christmas trees. Some of their fake ones cost €450 !!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Recession is officially over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

daheff wrote: »

Recession is officially over

Ehh I think you mean recession never started for this crowd. Place, particularly the wayyy-overpriced restaurant, is packed solid seven days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

True, it's very expensive and is packed all the time.

Even in the recession they never cut any of their prices and they got through it fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

It does stay consistently busy in the restaurant. I think it's down to the fact that it's probably one of the only places in celbridge that does lunch, bar public houses. The lack of of lunch appropriate places in celbridge is awful. It is very pricey, the food is OK, nothing special really. But there is plenty of room and that's always a plus. I do love their Christmas, I buy a couple of the decorations ever year, to add to my collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Coopaloop wrote: »
    I do love their Christmas, I buy a couple of the decorations ever year, to add to my collection.

This! They don't aim for the disposable christmas decorations market.
    Its more the stuff you buy and keep for a number of years. 5 euro on one decoration is expensive. But if you hang it on a tree for 10 years its cost 50 cent a year and makes your christmas decorations a little bit more unique.

The expensive stuff lasts, the cheap stuff, you're lucky to get them out of the box without breaking them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

This! They don't aim for the disposable christmas decorations market.
    Its more the stuff you buy and keep for a number of years. 5 euro on one decoration is expensive. But if you hang it on a tree for 10 years its cost 50 cent a year and makes your christmas decorations a little bit more unique.

The expensive stuff lasts, the cheap stuff, you're lucky to get them out of the box without breaking them :mad:

Yes 100% I've been building up our Christmas collection for the last 8 years, like you said the cheap stuff is long gone in the bin, if a cheap bauble falls off a tree it shatters, the more pricey ones bounce and roll a bit.
    The Orchard always has really lovely stuff, got some great deals last Thursday with their 20% off Sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hadit2here

i use to love going to the Orchard, until it was pointed out to me recently that staff to not get any of the tips

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Flibble

Maybe I am a stingy so and so, but what on earth are you tipping staff for in The Orchard?? Do people tip retail staff now? I know a few people that used to work there & they never received tips for anything.*

*as in, none were ever given, not that they were held back by management

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Flibble wrote: »
    Maybe I am a stingy so and so, but what on earth are you tipping staff for in The Orchard?? Do people tip retail staff now? I know a few people that used to work there & they never received tips for anything.*

*as in, none were ever given, not that they were held back by management

I assumed they meant in the Cafe

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hadit2here

yes the cafe !

Ah! My apologies, I kinda forgot about that part as I'm never in there :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

hadit2here wrote: »
    i use to love going to the Orchard, until it was pointed out to me recently that staff to not get any of the tips

Seriously ?!The little bowl of coins goes to the owners ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm dragged to the Orchard multiple times a year and my main objection is they got rid of the goats/sheep in the old greenhouse. Which they should really restore.

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm dragged to the Orchard multiple times a year and my main objection is they got rid of the goats/sheep in the old greenhouse. Which they should really restore.

Why?? It's a horrible environment to keep livestock in, horrible. Tiny space, no access to a paddock, bombarded with kids- it was a reason for me NOT to visit. Quite cruel really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

The sheep have been moved to behind the walled garden. It's odd they never restored the old greenhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Davidth88 wrote: »
    The sheep have been moved to behind the walled garden. It's odd they never restored the old greenhouse.

I remember my mother buying tomatoes, cucumbers, aubergines etc from that greenhouse in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Would still be interested to hear if staff are treated well here specifically if they get tips ( as mentioned by previous poster ) One or two lovely food serving staff there .Theres been one or two ownership/management changes there in recent years(?) Place must be a goldmine if properly run ( which includes treating staff well !)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Old thread I know, sorry :(

Is the cafe still closed? Seems renovations are taking a LOOOOONG time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Amias

The Orchard is nice but have switched to going to Johnstown Garden Centre for the past year.

Advertisement