Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Mobile Provider that can Forward SMS to Email?

Options
  • 15-11-2016 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

A lot of banks and secure sites are switching to SMS verification codes to login or make purchases. Unfortunately if you are traveling and using a local SIM card, it is impossible to receive a text message. So I was hoping that one of the mobile operators in Ireland would offer a feature whereby my texts can be configured to forward to an email address.

Does anyone know if this SMS->Email feature exists for Vodafone or Three or Virgin or Tesco mobile or any of the providers? I would certainly switch if it were available because it isn't possible with Meteor. Thanks for your advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

NB: I do use SMS 2nd factor

You really should avoid it where possible (isnt always) because:
    - International Roaming as said
    - Its not secure. SS7 isnt authenticated and its close to trivial to intercept SMS

Where you can, use Google Authenticator instead of SMS verification. Where you can't the current best solution would be a dual sim phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

If only the banks such as AIB with their Verified By Visa program (not sure whose fault it is but I understand they are rolling this out now) would use Google Authenticator and other similar secondary authentication options as an alternative. I don't mind using my smart phone, it's just the inability to receive SMS (or voice calls) sometimes when travelling. If only they would be willing to send SMS verification messages to an international number this problem would mostly go away. I don't want to worry about having my credit or debit card blocked while traveling because I cannot receive and respond to a text message.

A Dual SIM phone is an excellent idea. I'm not ready to buy a new phone just yet but next time that feature may be necessary. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

pretty much every samsung phone can come as a dual sim.

Just search for ie: Samsung S7 duos /s6 duos etc etc

Advertisement