Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting incidents to the Gardai

Options
  • 15-11-2016 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

A cleaner in a certain large betting chain was cleaning the mens bathrooms in the evening, while emptying the bins a spoon falls out, the spoon in question has been bent and the cleaner identifies it as being used for heroin. When brought to the manager, they are very nonchalant about it, they even know the person who comes in and does the drugs in the toilet. Should this be reported to the Gardai? Would they even do anything? This just seems disgusting a manger would refuse to do anything.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Nothing will get done by the gardaí unless it was actually witnessed and even then slim to nothing chance of anything happening. Best thing that can be done is management refuse to allow him on the premises using their own discretion. They cannot tell him it's because the suspect him of doing drugs in the toilet. They can however just refuse him entry to premises and cite that they don't need to give a reason as long as it's clear it's based upon grounds of discrimination ie race or gender etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

That's what I thought. Oh the manager well knows, they know this person by name! They have in their head there's nothing wrong with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

well it's up to the cleaner, how they wish to follow it up. They can have a chat with the manager and explain that they don't feel comfortable knowing there may be drug paraphernalia in the bathroom. A needle prick is a scary enough thing to go through. If the manager doesn't care, the cleaner can complain to the head office about it. They'll care as it hurts the image of the chain and they will want to be doing something about it.

This will leave a sour relationship with manage of the shop and the cleaner. Not sure how she's employed. Some chains employ a cleaner for several of their stores, others leave it to each shop to hire their own cleaner directly.

Last option is to put up with it and just let manager know each time they find something so that if something does happen down the line, they can always say that they informed management each time and let them deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't deal with manager go over their head.

Contact health and safety officer in local council also.

Has the cleaner being adequately trained and know procedure?
    Contact company CEO and higher management as said above the store manager as he has proven to not care.

Don't deal with manager go over their head.

Contact health and safety officer in local council also.

Has the cleaner being adequately trained and know procedure?
    Contact company CEO and higher management as said above the store manager as he has proven to not care.

Yeah I will pass than on. It's desperate. Training yes but I don't know if they've got training on handling medical wastes. Manager very much didn't care, said "oh they'll keep the needle they need that." Shocking really.

• Advertisement

Supposedly the manager is something of an awful person and staff have no love lost for them, so I don't think having them in a mood with staff isn't anything new to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Edups wrote: »
    Supposedly the manager is something of an awful person and staff have no love lost for them, so I don't think having them in a mood with staff isn't anything new to say the least.

You seem to have 'nailed your colours to the mast' OP. Good Luck to you.

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    You seem to have 'nailed your colours to the mast' OP. Good Luck to you.

I don't understand what the saying means? I'm just saying what I know - I'm not the one reporting the manager that's the staff's decision, I personally just think it's a disgrace how nonchalant someone can be about heavy drug use in public toilets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Get the cleaner to follow the company protocall for finding/reporting high risk items.
    in general you are pulled out of the area until its resolved and correct equipment is supplied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Uri Geller?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

A cleaner in a certain large betting chain was cleaning the mens bathrooms in the evening, while emptying the bins a spoon falls out, the spoon in question has been bent and the cleaner identifies it as being used for heroin. When brought to the manager, they are very nonchalant about it, they even know the person who comes in and does the drugs in the toilet. Should this be reported to the Gardai? Would they even do anything? This just seems disgusting a manger would refuse to do anything.

Mind your own business would be the best thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Just ring the guards and ask them.

If it's a large betting chain then there would be a policy on drugs and alcohol. I'm sure it's not uncommon for people to come into the premises with drink taken (going by the bookies that are near me!) so staff should have a policy on it. Or maybe they turn a blind eye if it encourages looser gambling.

Is this person a customer, or do they just use the jacks then leave?.

Contact HR or personelle in head office.

What do you want to happen?

Person barred and boss reprimanded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Maybe the op should watch Trainspotting, great scene in the toilet of a bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Would the employer have a duty of care to reduce the risks of needles in the workplace.
    What would happen if the employee got jabbed with one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Whatever about the moral rights & wrongs, the post about health & safety is the way to go. Report in writing first to the manager in line with policy & if nothing is done to HR, The gaurds will do absolutely nothing - a bent sooon in a bin? convicted Paedophiles and murderers walk out of court with community service and suspended sentences. . Mind you - if you cross the manager s/he will no doubt find a way to get rid of you or make your job a nightmare. tread softly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    If it's a large betting chain then there would be a policy on drugs and alcohol. I'm sure it's not uncommon for people to come into the premises with drink taken (going by the bookies that are near me!) so staff should have a policy on it. Or maybe they turn a blind eye if it encourages looser gambling.

Policy is probably to give such people VIP status
    because they're good customers.

Seriously, the guards know full well who is using regularly, they don't need a call.

But you need to know how to clean up safety, that's the way to approach this.

gstack166 wrote: »
    Mind your own business would be the best thing to do.

Don't carry butt hurt from other threads please

• Registered Users Posts: 51,971 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Would the employer have a duty of care to reduce the risks of needles in the workplace.
    What would happen if the employee got jabbed with one

Six months of getting blood tests for HIV and no sex in between.

Don't carry butt hurt from other threads please

Butt hurt? 'Jesus wept' as you've posted on a previous thread. Not all people who use spoons are a 'junkie' maybe they were eating a yogurt. Mind your own business what a customer does in a toilet, you should be more worried that a bookies is enticing people of a disadvantage (if that's what they are) into a joint in the first place.

Butt hurt? 'Jesus wept' as you've posted on a previous thread. Not all people who use spoons are a 'junkie' maybe they were eating a yogurt. Mind your own business what a customer does in a toilet, you should be more worried that a bookies is enticing people of a disadvantage (if that's what they are) into a joint in the first place.

HAHAHA oh my God I love it. You bend your spoons to eat yoghurt do you friend? And I never said that on your thread that's someone else. And it becomes everyone's business when it endangers public safety.

But seriously eating a yoghurt on the jacks with a bent spoon. Oh man.

• Advertisement

HAHAHA oh my God I love it. You bend your spoons to eat yoghurt do you friend? And I never said that on your thread that's someone else. And it becomes everyone's business when it endangers public safety.

But seriously eating a yoghurt on the jacks with a bent spoon. Oh man.

Why don't you just do your job & process the bets & leave the investigation into bent spoons to people more qualified than yourself 😂

Why don't you just do your job & process the bets & leave the investigation into bent spoons to people more qualified than yourself 😂

Right your getting on the ignore list. Your taking utter nonsense.

Right your getting on the ignore list. Your taking utter nonsense.

Says a man who started a thread called 'I have no Willy'

You are a seriously strange, weird, delusional person.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,971 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Right lads, I want the two of you in my office straight away 'till we sort this out. Or else ....

Right lads, I want the two of you in my office straight away 'till we sort this out. Or else ....

Go way and eat yer tayto

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Busyness1

I would definitely report to the Gardai, the superintendent or commissioner if possible. We have a spoon epidemic in this country and it cannot go on any longer. BTW how was the cleaner able to identify a heroin spoon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Busyness1 wrote: »
    I would definitely report to the Gardai, the superintendent or commissioner if possible. We have a spoon epidemic in this country and it cannot go on any longer. BTW how was the cleaner able to identify a heroin spoon?

I'm guessing it was due to the scorch marks on the bottom of it. Must have been a fairly well off heroin addict, usually they just use citrix acid packets.

Advertisement