Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a problem with webmail?

Options
  • 15-11-2016 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi, I am not an eir customer but use my eircom.net email address. I have tried to log in this morning and am getting a 'Username or password you entered is not recognised' message.
    Any ideas why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AlexisM

I'm having the same issue so I suspect it must be a system thing and not just you (and me).  This has happened occasionally in the past - gets sorted within a few hours usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No problem with mine, also not with eir(com) any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi Guys,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Can you try resetting your passwords?[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Pamela [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Buck

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi Guys,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Can you try resetting your passwords?[/font]

Hi Pamela, I think there is a bigger problem here than resetting passwords. I tried to send a mail to my eircom.net address from my work mail and it was undeliverable. See below.

'This is the mail system at host zmmta300.webmail.cra.eircom.net.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

same issue, can't receive mail, mails sent to my address are bouncing.  My other eircom address is working though (both are free addresses from way back):

This is the mail system at host zmmta301.webmail.cra.eircom.net.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
    be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
    delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<removed@eircom.net> (expanded from <removed@webmail.eircom.net>):
    eircom.net

Reporting-MTA: dns; zmmta301.webmail.cra.eircom.net
    X-Postfix-Queue-ID: F054784D5E
    X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; loyatemu@somewhere.ie
    Arrival-Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 17:23:30 +0000 (GMT)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; removed@eircom.net
    Original-Recipient: [email=rfc822;funkmeister@webmail.eircom.net]rfc822;removed@webmail.eircom.net[/email]
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; eircom.net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

I've noticed a serious amount of undelivered mail notifications over the past week. Needless to say not originally sent by me at all. Reminds me of the old days when spam was a complete pain and accounts had to be closed off to freeze the buggers out. Surprised it's still such a problem with modern e-mail filters etc.

Getting this the past two days -
    The username or password you entered has not been recognised. Forgotten your password?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As I mentioned elsewhere, I know of a few people where it was clear their eir(com) email account had been hacked as there were not only loads of mail undelivered notifications in the inbox, which can also be put down to people sending emails with your email address forged as the sender, but also loads of unsent messages in the Drafts folder, and the recipients all appeared in the address book, presumably auto-added. The option to save a copy of sent emails had been turned off in the webmail interface so there was no sign of them there.

They hadn't managed to change the password though, so a quick password change and it all stopped suddenly.

In all cases, it involved people who reused the same password all over the place, including in some places that had recently suffered breaches. See https://haveibeenpwned.com/

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi all,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]There is an on-going issue with webmail I'm afraid.  [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]The issue appears to be a password issue and customers’ are locked out from their webmail account until they reset the email password. Can you change your password via the online process and ensure the new password is completely different to the old one.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Can you check your emailed Contacts (under the Contacts menu) and delete the list. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Deleting the emailed Contacts list is easiest done in the basic mode. If you are using the advanced version of Zimbra, you will need to click on their email address (upper right hand side) and on the drop down menu click on ‘HMTL client’ and this will bring them into the basic mode (a blue and white interface). Click on Preferences and Contacts, max out the display to 100, click save (upper left hand side). Click on Contacts (on the blue bar), scroll down to emailed Contacts and click the top tick box to select the top 100 and delete. emailed contacts can have up to 10,000 in the list.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Any issues with verification, please email wmsupport@eir.ie[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AlexisM

Is there any way to delete more than 100 at a time? - there are soooo many unknown contacts.

How did this happen?  I noticed odd undeliverable messages but thought they were incoming spam, not something sent out by 'me' and bounced back.  Did 10,000 people get a spam email from my address?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Is that why I am having problems on my IOL.ie account.   I am receiving on POP3 on 'pop.iol.ie'  but cant send anything out using the SMTP 'mail1.eircom.net'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭onway

What happens if you cannot reset it online ?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Buck

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]There is an on-going issue with webmail I'm afraid.  [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]The issue appears to be a password hack and customers’ accounts that have been compromised are locked out from the webmail account until they reset the email password. Can you change your password via the online process and ensure the new password is completely different to the old one.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Part of the hack involves creating up to 800 drafts (all are empty emails with an attachment of a woman). Can you check your emailed Contacts (under the Contacts menu) and delete the list. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Deleting the emailed Contacts list is easiest done in the basic mode. If you are using the advanced version of Zimbra, you will need to click on their email address (upper right hand side) and on the drop down menu click on ‘HMTL client’ and this will bring them into the basic mode (a blue and white interface). Click on Preferences and Contacts, max out the display to 100, click save (upper left hand side). Click on Contacts (on the blue bar), scroll down to emailed Contacts and click the top tick box to select the top 100 and delete. emailed contacts can have up to 10,000 in the list.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Any issues with verification, please email wmsupport@eir.ie[/font]

Thanks Pamela, do I need to empty the Trash now ?

Brendan

Buck wrote: »
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]The issue appears to be a password hack and customers’ accounts that have been compromised are locked out from the webmail account until they reset the email password. Can you change your password via the online process and ensure the new password is completely different to the old one.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Part of the hack involves creating up to 800 drafts (all are empty emails with an attachment of a woman). Can you check your emailed Contacts (under the Contacts menu) and delete the list. [/font]

Thanks Pamela, do I need to empty the Trash now ?

Brendan
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]No problem [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Buck,[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]if there is drafts there please do.[/font]

Advertisement