Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor market proposal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I would have thought the APCOA carpark across from the current market would make much more sense. Erect a large temporary tent (like the beer or ice skating tent) and if that worked perhaps build a permanent structure.

Likewise just up the road behind the Connacht Tribune is the venue down the alley used as a gallery which would be a pretty good size for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I would have thought the APCOA carpark across from the current market would make much more sense. Erect a large temporary tent (like the beer or ice skating tent) and if that worked perhaps build a permanent structure.

Likewise just up the road behind the Connacht Tribune is the venue down the alley used as a gallery which would be a pretty good size for it.

But the council owns the plot so there is no need to buy the land

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MataofK

so maybe in 2025 Galway will get a market ! It should be one there since a long long time ..

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

City planners refused an application a couple of years ago, on a vacant site near where I work. It would have been lovely.

The site is still vacant and looks like a tip. It's beside the IMC cinema. Unbelievable Jeff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's not often I agree with Seamus, but that's an excellent idea. It would be a great addition to the city.

• Advertisement

View the article here http://connachttribune.ie/call-for-city-carpark-to-be-converted-to-indoor-market-300/

It's something that I'd love to see and but always thought the ideal spot would have been in the old Meadows and Byrne building before it was taken up by Tribton.

Either way, this is a good idea IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

That's a fantastic idea. I am surprised it has not been considered before.
    200 potential customers from Metlife on the way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Mill Street Car Park would be another good location for a Limerick Style "Milkmarket". City Council own it.
    This topic was covered in this old thread from over two years ago.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92262661

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Where is the Hynes yard carpark?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Paddico wrote: »

https://www.google.ie/search?q=hynes+yard+car+park+galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Paddico wrote: »

Unfortunately the map on their own website doesn't have them in the right place.

But mine does , number 14 on here: http://www.galwaytransport.info/2008/12/car-parks-in-galway-city-map-below.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I was in the English market down in Cork for the first time a few weeks ago, it's a fantastic spot. I have an uncle who actually gets the train down to Cork every other week to go shopping there because they have some obscure part of a pig that he likes.

It seems like the kind of thing that would go down really well with Galwegians.

What I'd really like as someone who doesn't live in the city is that it would be somewhere easy to access, if it's in the middle of town it will only be for locals, most people aren't going to put up with Galway traffic and parking to buy some food stuff.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I was in the English market down in Cork for the first time a few weeks ago, it's a fantastic spot. I have an uncle who actually gets the train down to Cork every other week to go shopping there because they have some obscure part of a pig that he likes.

It seems like the kind of thing that would go down really well with Galwegians.

What I'd really like as someone who doesn't live in the city is that it would be somewhere easy to access, if it's in the middle of town it will only be for locals, most people aren't going to put up with Galway traffic and parking to buy some food stuff.

Get the train like your Uncle.

Get the train like your Uncle.
    There is no train.

I

What sort of location would you suggest? I'm struggling to think of anywhere easy to access that's not near a public transport hub, and which we would have enough visitors to make it viable.

Out around the briarhill area. It's a fairly built up area and has easy access to the motorway.

There is no train.
    Did not realise Ceannt Station had closed down. How about the bus then into the City Centre?

Out around the briarhill area. It's a fairly built up area and has easy access to the motorway.

So that would be great for car-users from north-east and south-east of Galway. And for people who live along the 403 or 409 bus routes. Maybe even for people who come in by train, if they don't mind another 1/2 hour on the bus after they arrive. Not so great for people from the west of the city (where lots of workers live).

And on Sundays, it would be competing with the market in Claregalway corporate park. On Fridays with the farmers market in Gort. And I think there's one in Oranmore one day each week too. Someone tried to get one going in Roscam about a year ago (I think - or was it two) but couldn't get the numbers to make it work, and that was on a site (Castlegar GAA) with lots of visibility to passing traffic, easy access, parking and some incidental visitors from the GAA club and bus-passengers.

So, ahh ... can't see it working out there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

topcat77 wrote: »
    One of the better ideas floating out there.

http://connachttribune.ie/call-for-city-carpark-to-be-converted-to-indoor-market-300/

I never would of guessed that the council owned the ground floor of Hynes Yard car park.
    The Mayor, Alderman and Burgesses of the Borough of Galway no less.

Seriously though, it takes a certain dedication to the work of Le Corbusier to imagine a market in a converted concrete car park with multiple rights of way for glorious motorised transport running through it. Then we consider the commercial lease that would need to be bought out.

Still, you have the makings of a short story in the style of Ballard. The Dystopian English Market.

So that would be great for car-users from north-east and south-east of Galway. And for people who live along the 403 or 409 bus routes. Maybe even for people who come in by train, if they don't mind another 1/2 hour on the bus after they arrive. Not so great for people from the west of the city (where lots of workers live).

And on Sundays, it would be competing with the market in Claregalway corporate park. On Fridays with the farmers market in Gort. And I think there's one in Oranmore one day each week too. Someone tried to get one going in Roscam about a year ago (I think - or was it two) but couldn't get the numbers to make it work, and that was on a site (Castlegar GAA) with lots of visibility to passing traffic, easy access, parking and some incidental visitors from the GAA club and bus-passengers.

So, ahh ... can't see it working out there.
    Probably not, if they think they can get enough locals to go to it and turn a profit they can put it right in the middle of town. If they're hoping to get people traveling from around the county, then they're going to have to make it easy to access. I stopped going to Galway because Galways just not worth the hassle anymore, I'm not putting up with that traffic. There's nothing in Galway that I can't get in most other towns in the county. The market might tempt me in, but not if I have to spend an hour sitting in traffic/finding parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Unfortunately the map on their own website doesn't have them in the right place.

But mine does , number 14 on here: http://www.galwaytransport.info/2008/12/car-parks-in-galway-city-map-below.html

I still am not sure where this place is. There is an existing car park there as far as I can remember- a working one. On Merchants' Road with another exit facing the docks. It is either a multi storey or a basement to a block of apartments. Is there another one that I don't know about?

bobbyss wrote: »
    I still am not sure where this place is. There is an existing car park there as far as I can remember- a working one. On Merchants' Road with another exit facing the docks. It is either a multi storey or a basement to a block of apartments. Is there another one that I don't know about?

What you describe is Hynes Yard carpark. Its multistorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I have not been there in a long time. As far as I can remember it was undulating and dark.

bobbyss wrote: »
    I have not been there in a long time. As far as I can remember it was undulating and dark.
    If it's done up properly it shouldn't be an issue. For most the time you're going to be looking at stalls, even the high ceilings in the Cork market have fairly basic bits of MDF board to break up the space.

Galway is full of artists, they should start making better use of them.

Advertisement