Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any laws/regularion about outdoor noise levels? (noisy building site)

Options
  • 15-11-2016 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭

There is a building site next to my apartment block where they start using very noisy machines from 6 or 7AM onwards. The site is surrounded by high density housing and this must be bothering at least a few dozens of residents (I am not very good with construction and not sure what it is, but they are basically using a machine which hits the ground very hard every second or 2, probably as part of the work for the foundations, and the noise and vibrations easily go through recent windows even though we are not directly facing the site and a bit further down the street - it sometimes wakes me up and I assume people who are directly facing it are very annoyed with it).

Anyway I am just wondering if there are any regulations around how much noise is acceptable in a residential area, if there are times of the day for which those regulations apply, and if yes who is the right authority to have these enforced (if it was a noisy neighbour I would call the Garda, but I assume things are different with a building site).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes, the granted planning permission will dictate the building times, usually 7am-6pm Mon-Fri, 8am-2pm Sat and nothing on Sunday or bank holidays, but they can be site specific. The planners could have put in more restrictive times on a particular planning application.

Noise limits are controlled by a BS Code and they are enforced through the Planning Enforcement Section.

Get the plan ref for the site, and report to the Planning Enforcement section of the LA.

Where is the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Thanks both. Useful information and I'll try to find out about the planning permission. I am not sure exactly at what time they start but if their planing permission is for 7AM they might be within their timeslot (I am lucky to have a short commute and not need to get up too early).

It is one of the few building sites currently active in the grand canal docks area.

Advertisement