Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Porridge is like wallpaper paste

Options
  • 15-11-2016 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

As the title states, I've started having porridge for breakfast lately but mine is sticky, gummy.....wallpaper paste consistency :(

I've been following the following recipe: on the highest heat I bring equal quantities of oats to water/coconut milk (or just water) with a pinch of salt to the boil. Then I turn the heat down and simmer for a few minutes, stirring the whole time.

What am I doing wrong? any suggestions would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

One part water, one part milk, one part oats. Soak overnight in the fridge. Not sure about heating on highest heat, I personally use a medium high heat. Stir it until it's the consistency that you want, the longer you leave it the thicker it gets. If it gets too thick for you, just throw in an extra drop of milk and stir. I suspect most people then add something to flavour it, honey or maple syrup etc, seeds, nuts, dried fruit... Whatever you prefer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

It's always going to taste like that with water or even coconut milk. Almond milk makes pretty perfect porridge. (Soya milk too but it starts to get more tacky :-)) Also I use the Flahavans Organic oats which IMHO are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

I make mine 1 part oats: 2 part water. Don't bother soaking it over night as I am not that organised, heat it on high (although some cookers high/medium might be better) stirring once it starts to bubble.

The longer you cook it obviously the more liquid will evaporate off making it thicker but by the sounds of it you are starting with too little liquid.

Hope that helps. Weather is supposed to get cold by the end of the week and can't beat a nice hot breakfast! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

I make porridge for myself and children every day. (Skimmed Milk for myself, Full Fat for the kids)

I simply put a bowl on a digirl scales, weight out 40g of Flahvans Progress Oats , And 220g of my chosen milk, Pop in the microwave (900w) on full power for 2min 30sec and then leave sit for a minimum of a minute before stirring and serving.

I always end up with creamy soft porridge even in the skimmed milk batch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Half a mug of flahavans, 1 mug low fat milk, sprinkle of nutmeg or cinnamon. Some sultanas or cranberries. Left overnight in fridge.
    Mid/high heat, continuous stirring.
    Into bowl and cooled off with my benecol drink.
    Yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

Jambo wrote: »
    I make porridge for myself and children every day. (Skimmed Milk for myself, Full Fat for the kids)

I simply put a bowl on a digirl scales, weight out 40g of Flahvans Progress Oats , And 220g of my chosen milk, Pop in the microwave (900w) on full power for 2min 30sec and then leave sit for a minimum of a minute before stirring and serving.

I do it this way too...yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

Jambo wrote:

Jambo wrote:

Jambo wrote:

+1 on this

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree, two parts liquid (by volume), whatever takes your fancy, to one part of oats. 1:1 will result in stodge, any more liquid than 2:1 and you'll end up with porridge soup.

I don't see any point, or advantage, to soaking, and I do mine in the microwave in the bowl I'm going to be eating it from, 2mins on 750W, stir, 1min 20secs, ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

I used to microwave but I find the oats don't really soften....the method I'm using now causes the oats to soften too much. Going to try just bring to the boil and not bother simmering, cheers thanks for the advice everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I use Flahavans as well (tried others & just wasn't as nice). I use the quick oats & the scoop - 2 scoops of porridge & 3 of water (it says 4 but I find that too watery personally). Microwave for 2 mins on full. Sprinkle with homemade cinnamon sugar, mix around & leave to chill a min so it doesn't burn my mouth off. Always tastes good. A few raisins are nice too mixed in if you have/like them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I'd usually weight out 40g and soak overnight in almond milk, around 300ml. Into the pot in the morning, slice in a banana and occasionally some honey, high heat to start it off, then turn it down while stirring until I get a nice consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Has to be Flahavans oats for me, I've tried three other brands and they gave me heartburn.

In a pyrex jug, add a third of a mug of oats.
    Then add in milk so that it's three times the quantity of the oats.
    Microwave for 4 mins.

As it cools, stir it to prevent it going sticky.
    It'll thicken as it cools.
    I like to add half a teaspoon of sugar.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Either add more liquid, or cook for less time. Or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

You could try a flavoured porridge mix like http://www.theproteinworks.com/protein-porridge

I use 1 part Flahavans oats to 3 parts milk, plus a handful of raisins. Microwave 3 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

ellejay wrote: »
    Has to be Flahavans oats for me, I've tried three other brands and they gave me heartburn.

I read this comment months ago and thought how strange as porridge always give me very bad heartburn so much so that I stopped eating it. Only remembered this comment recently when I was shopping and bought a bag of Flahavans, I have now had porridge every morning this week with absolutely no heartburn so thank you :)

What on earth could the difference be between the brands that causes this? I really did not expect there to be a difference and was practically resigned to getting heartburn again when I started on Monday but absolutely no problem so continued for the week still expecting the usual discomfort but not a problem! It's great, I can have my yummy porridge for breakfast again :)

Forgot to go to shop for my free stuff though :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

^This made me check my bag of oats. I usually buy oats purely for flapjacks, crumbles etc and like you have always gotten heartburn from porridge. However, recently I decided to see if I could eat it without getting heartburn and I've been fine!
    When I looked just now, it's Flahavans I've been eating. I have no idea why it's not bothering me.

I'm delighted to know I'm not the only one that got heartburn!!

I'm not prone to it, so I thought I was a weirdo for not being able to eat the other brands.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

And for the heartburn-relieved, are ye all eating the same style of flahavans? (progress vs microwave etc) This heartburn thing is fascinating, and it'd be interesting to see if it's only manufacturer or specifc format.

(i eat flahavans microwave porridge *after* i take my proton-pump inhibitors, so i'm not a useful member of this study)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I was watching an episode of Food Unwrapped the other day where they were asking what the difference was between microwave oats and 'normal' ones, and went to visit a miller in Co. Waterford, which I'm pretty sure was Flahavans, to find out. It turns out the only difference is the degree to which it is milled, with the microwave version being milled more and therefore cooking more quickly. However, it is therefore also digested more quickly, so doesn't act so much as an energy store to see you through the day as the normal stuff.

So, I'm wondering whether the digestibility of the oats, due to the degree to which they're milled, is having an affect on the reflux symptoms some of you are experiencing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use progress oats but cook my porridge in the microwave. I don't drink tea immediately afterwards because that used to be a factor too.

Like Tree I used to be on proton pump inhibitors. I had a gastric ulcer and am still prone to acidity, but I very rarely get heartburn even when I have hyperacidity. Porridge is pretty much the only thing guaranteed to cause it.

I have continued with my lovely Flahavans porridge over the weekend and today and still no heartburn, it's a miracle! :)

For the purposes of trying to get to the bottom of this strange conundrum of the different brands causing heartburn, my pattern has been I buy the bog standard bag of porridge and I have never made it in the microwave, I always make it in a saucepan.

I found too that tea afterwards exacerbated the problem in the past but again last week I tested that theory and tea after the flahavans is still not causing heartburn.

I definitely don't buy the microwave oats I don't like the consistency.
    I would have said I buy the "normal" or "original" oats but actually it says Progress oats on the bag.

I cook it in the microwave, full fat milk, 3 parts milk to oats.
    I stir in half a teaspoon of sugar after it's heated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

My formula is simple enough.....

1 part oats
    2.5 parts liquid (water, milk, cream or whatever)

Soak overnight, if possible.

Heat slowly to a simmer. Let simmer for a few minutes then remove from the heat while still quite loose, add dried fruit (usually cranberries and/or sultanas) and let stand for a few minutes to allow to cool slightly and for the oats and fruit to absorb the excess liquid.....

......occasionally a drop of Irish mist or syrup on top to undo all the healthiness!!

Jawgap wrote: »
    My formula is simple enough.....

......occasionally a drop of Irish mist or syrup on top to undo all the healthiness!!

Hmmm now you have me wondering if a drop of baileys would be nice!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

ellejay wrote: »
    Hmmm now you have me wondering if a drop of baileys would be nice!!!

Each to their own......but my [extensive :D] experiments suggest that whiskey, brandy and Baileys are not great......ymmv

.....a touch of a fruit liqueur of your choice might go well.

I've also tried soaking the the sultanas in alcohol of various descriptions and the results have been 'variable.'

......on another note, anyone want to admit salting their porridge? My mother is from Belfast and likes a good dollop of salt in hers - tastes awful!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I see maple syrup mentioned here, love a good big spoon of it mixed in :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I use progress oats but cook my porridge in the microwave. I don't drink tea immediately afterwards because that used to be a factor too.

Like Tree I used to be on proton pump inhibitors. I had a gastric ulcer and am still prone to acidity, but I very rarely get heartburn even when I have hyperacidity. Porridge is pretty much the only thing guaranteed to cause it.
    phormium wrote: »
    I have continued with my lovely Flahavans porridge over the weekend and today and still no heartburn, it's a miracle! :)

For the purposes of trying to get to the bottom of this strange conundrum of the different brands causing heartburn, my pattern has been I buy the bog standard bag of porridge and I have never made it in the microwave, I always make it in a saucepan.

I found too that tea afterwards exacerbated the problem in the past but again last week I tested that theory and tea after the flahavans is still not causing heartburn.

Well, at least it's the progress oats in common. I wonder are they milled differently to other brands' standard oats.

*dons scientist cap* of course, correlation may not imply causation, and this on the back of two cases...

The strange thing is that I can eat oats in flapjacks, muesli, crumbles etc and it never gives me heartburn. You'd think it would be easier to digest cooked as porridge but it seems not.

• Advertisement

They don't bother me in other things either, I don't make flapjacks or eat muesli but would use oats a lot in cookies, crumbles and even meat loaf without any heartburn and that would have been different brands.

Advertisement