Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Porridge is like wallpaper paste

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Irresistibly reminded of one episode of the BBC series "Colditz" where the POWs were secretly building a small plane... they needed "dope" to seal the wings and porridge is perfect .. the guards could not understand why all of them were crazy for porridge... and it does line the stomach wondrously..

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

I only have it occasionally and add cornflakes its the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I steep mine in hot water overnight.
    It soaks up the water, expands and softens.

Add milk in the morning and microwave for 3 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Jawgap wrote: »
    ......on another note, anyone want to admit salting their porridge? My mother is from Belfast and likes a good dollop of salt in hers - tastes awful!!!!

I don't actually put salt in mine, but I do like a knob of butter which gives a slightly salty taste to it. Butter is put on last so it melts over but doesn't disappear into the porridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I found the instant oats very gloopy and sticky and longed for the smooth porridge my Mam made when we were kids.

So I bought traditional porridge oats (Odlums, 500g pack, €1.49 in Tesco) and followed the instructions.
    40g oats per person and 225ml water.

I decided to soak them overnight and had them this morning (soak the oats in a pot and in the morning just heat on the hob, stirring. Should only take a few mins).

Well, the difference!
    Smooth porridge that is really easy to swallow as opposed to the gloopy sticky paste that I found with instant.

Try it...I now love porridge.

• Advertisement

fussyonion wrote: »
    I found the instant oats very gloopy and sticky and longed for the smooth porridge my Mam made when we were kids.

So I bought traditional porridge oats (Odlums, 500g pack, €1.49 in Tesco) and followed the instructions.
    40g oats per person and 225ml water.

I decided to soak them overnight and had them this morning (soak the oats in a pot and in the morning just heat on the hob, stirring. Should only take a few mins).

Well, the difference!
    Smooth porridge that is really easy to swallow as opposed to the gloopy sticky paste that I found with instant.

Try it...I now love porridge.

Not sure I understand; are you meaning pinhead oatmeal as opposed to rolled oats? Or the yukky instant instant stuff even I would not go near? Thanks in advance.. I use tesco everyday at just over a euro a kilo.. rolled oats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not sure I understand; are you meaning pinhead oatmeal as opposed to rolled oats? Or the yukky instant instant stuff even I would not go near? Thanks in advance.. I use tesco everyday at just over a euro a kilo.. rolled oats.

It's this one I'm using: http://imgur.com/dWKurLs

The ingredients list just says "100% wholegrain oats".

I had been using Flahavan Instant Oats but like I said, they were sticky and gloopy.

These Odlums oats are really nice.

fussyonion wrote: »
    It's this one I'm using: http://imgur.com/dWKurLs

The ingredients list just says "100% wholegrain oats".

I had been using Flahavan Instant Oats but like I said, they were sticky and gloopy.

These Odlums oats are really nice.

Thanks and yes, a huge difference..See

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-steel-cut-rolled-and-instant-oats-138355

BUT WATCH OUT FOR THE SUDDEN MUSAK!

The tesco ones I use are rolled oats.I did try instant once and only once. ;)

Sometimes I simply add cold milk and eg sultanas to rolled oats and leave a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

The Flahavans Pinhead Oatmeal is delicious, really nutty.

Zelda247 wrote: »
    The Flahavans Pinhead Oatmeal is delicious, really nutty.

Only ever used it for parkin..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I hope I am not alone here. But Kavanaghs ordinary porridge from Aldi is the best I've ever had to date.

I just do one part oats to two parts water. Stir. Into the micro for 2.40 mins (depends on the power, mine is 850).

Leave for a few seconds to settle, then top up with milk, honey whatever.

I really don't see the problem here, sorry folks. Trial and error I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭elperello

ellejay wrote: »
    Hmmm now you have me wondering if a drop of baileys would be nice!!!

I sometimes add a drop of cream if there is some left over in the fridge.
    Around Christmas there was some cream with Baileys in it and I tried that on the porridge, lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

A spoonful of Vanilla Ice Cream in your porridge is delish' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Kat1170 wrote: »
    A spoonful of Vanilla Ice Cream in your porridge is delish' ;)

Haha, i have heard it all now! The mrs is going to get some suprise on Sunday morning when I am treating myself and her to this....I might even go full Affogatto on it and chuck in a dart of armaretto and an espresso into it too :)

Might not even bother with the porridge!

Advertisement