Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edinburgh Tourist Prices

• 15-11-2016 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭

Herself and I are heading to Edinburgh next week for three days and I’m planning what to do

My jaw is on the ground so far, city tour bus around €35 and then around the same for the castle

Anyone any tips on a cheaper way to do tourism? Could you even get in and around the grounds of castle for free (like say Kilkenny)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BuyersRemorse

I don't think the Castle is quite that expensive, but as far as touristy stuff, you'd be better doing it on foot instead of a bus. Everything is fairly close together and it's a lovely city to walk around, especially up by the Royal Mile /Grassmarket/ Greyfriars part. Have a look for 'Things to do in Edinburgh for free' online and I'm sure you'll get some suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I'm going this weekend, the Christmas market is opening so that will be nice to walk around.
    You don't necessarily need to spend anything to enjoy it, maybe just a couple of drinks.

Mary King's Close is meant to be really cool, £14.50 - you need to book online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

If i compare the admission cost of the castle to the last trip we done.

Ring of Kerry bus-€44 for two, left Kilarney about 10 and got back almost 6.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Have a look at the visitscotland site, they've got some itineraries for Edinburgh based around how much time you've got here (one day, weekend, etc). The open top bus tours can be a good way of seeing a lot of stuff around the city but also depend on the weather so probably best to decide on the day at this time of year.

Things to check out which are free: Princes St Gardens, the Christmas Market, the Royal Mile (the castle is good if you're interested in wandering around for a couple of hours, but I wouldn't call it essential - the views of it from outside are worth wandering up though), Calton Hill, Arthur's Seat (if the weather's nice).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

do one of the night time graveyard/crypt tours - they are a right hoot

Edinburgh is one of the best places on Earth... I've been there loads and never bothered with a castle tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The Ghost Tour is brilliant, but not for the fainthearted.

It is very, very scary down in those catacombs where people died of the plague. Some tourists lose their nerve and run out in tears.

If I recall, it isn't crazy expensive... because you are sharing the guide with dozens of others.

Holyrood Parliament Building offers guided tours. I think they're free. I love politics and current affairs, so I found the tour great. Others would be bored to tears.

Climbing that hill is very popular too. I think it's called King Arthur's Seat

Im glad i asked now, some great suggestions here, be good idea for a mod to compile them into a sticky for future reading

I take it you can go into the castle grounds, see around it an take pictures of the views , but you need to pay to see inside? ala Kilkenny Castle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

You can have a little look without paying but all the good stuff is tucked away! We went in and its actually pretty good.

National museum, children's museum and writers museum are all free and worth a visit and greyfriars is just near the national museum you'll easily spot it as there will no doubt be people running his nose!

The national gallery is the middle of Princes St is very good and you have the national portrait gallery just a few minutes walk away which are also other free.

Botanic Gardens is nice and that's £5.50 so pretty cheap.

Good timing coming for the first weekend of the market! You'll be able to get your souvenir mug with your mulled wine! It's only a couple of pound for the mug so it's a nice cheap thing to be able to take away the maze should be back so that's another thing to be able to check out. Even just going for a walk around the old town you come across interesting things to see that just a part of the city.

It'll be a bit chilly going up Arthur's seat this weekend it's meant to be very cold! Calton hill is closer and a lot more manageable and at the top is the national monument and the city observatory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

If I remember rightly you can get into a very limited part of the Castle but not very much for free. Unless it is a very clear day it would hardly be worth you time visiting the castle if you do not want to pay admission.

Research the open top bus tour. I think there are at least two companies running them. Sometimes your ticket for the bus tour will get you discounts for major attraction as well (like in Dublin).

Do visit the tourist office on Princes's Street (near Waverely Station). They sometimes have leaflets and magazines with discount vouchers.

My I ask what age bracket you are in as you can get good discounts if you are a student/over 60s. However I do agree that many attractions are very over priced in Edinburgh.

Miaireland wrote: »
    If I remember rightly you can get into a very limited part of the Castle but not very much for free. Unless it is a very clear day it would hardly be worth you time visiting the castle if you do not want to pay admission.

Research the open top bus tour. I think there are at least two companies running them. Sometimes your ticket for the bus tour will get you discounts for major attraction as well (like in Dublin).

Do visit the tourist office on Princes's Street (near Waverely Station). They sometimes have leaflets and magazines with discount vouchers.

My I ask what age bracket you are in as you can get good discounts if you are a student/over 60s. However I do agree that many attractions are very over priced in Edinburgh.

Had a look and found this bus company

https://www.facebook.com/edinburghtour/

Asking them questions and where friendly and helpful, but never mentioned for £2 more we can get an extra 24 hours on the bus ticket

Both mid thirty’s so no chance on OAP lol, but I will drop into tourist office to see of any deals as our hotel is on that street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

jimmii wrote: »
    Botanic Gardens is nice and that's £5.50 so pretty cheap.

Just to point out, admission to the gardens themselves is free, its 5.50 to get into the glasshouses. It's one of my favourite spots.

Can agree with what everyone else has said. The Christmas markets are almost ready for opening now, and along with them on Princes street gardens and St. Andrews square, the festival of light is on George's street this year.

I went to the castle last year, and while you can spend a couple of hours going around looking at the stuff inside the wall, you leave with the feeling as though you wasted 15 pound each. The view of the castle is what makes it Edinburgh, and you can get that for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    I'm going this weekend, the Christmas market is opening so that will be nice to walk around.
    You don't necessarily need to spend anything to enjoy it, maybe just a couple of drinks.

Mary King's Close is meant to be really cool, £14.50 - you need to book online

Are you sure about the Xmas Market? It normally opens on the last Thursday of November.

On the castle it takes about 3 hours to do, but it is worth it in fairness, it wouldnt be something I'd do with only a few days to play around with.
    That Museum is free too and is definitely worth a wander around.

You can get into the first yard for free as it's where the ticket office is, good for the view, as the esplanade may be blocked if they're building the stands there.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Are you sure about the Xmas Market? It normally opens on the last Thursday of November.

On the castle it takes about 3 hours to do, but it is worth it in fairness, it wouldnt be something I'd do with only a few days to play around with.
    That Museum is free too and is definitely worth a wander around.

You can get into the first yard for free as it's where the ticket office is, good for the view, as the esplanade may be blocked if they're building the stands there.

http://www.edinburghschristmas.com/blog/edinburghs-christmas-full-programme-announced-for-2016-2017

"Edinburgh’s Christmas is back from 18 November 2016 – 7 January 2017"

Is that the war museum? I read online about some museum on the castle grounds being free but could only see that and its pay in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The war museum was actually my favourite part of the Castle to be honest.
    No, it's the National History Museum I was referring to, it's a street behind the Royal Mile.

Also as an FYI, there are a ton of offers on Groupon right now e.g. John Knox house half price, Ghost Tour Bus 30% off and so on, check them out.
    If you get a bus too check the back, it has 2 for 1 offers on the Edinburgh Dungeon.

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/auld-reekie-tours-1 I've used Aul Reekie before, they're good.
    https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/the-ghost-bus-tours-1

Great news on the Market, that's my Friday lunchtime sorted, love the haggis paninis down there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

To be fair, the castle has about 10 mini-museums/exhibits inside - it's actually a cluster several different buildings. It's not too expensive for a 3hr+ activity. But if you're not into history/museums, you might not want to. You can only go up to the esplanade and in to the small yard inside the main gate without paying.

If you get dry weather & don't want to climb up Arthur's Seat, try the Water of Leith Walkway to Stockbridge - it feels like a country walk even though you're in the middle of it the city & Stockbridge has a cool little Sunday market too. The Christmas markets really are great - they're pretty huge with lots of mulled wine, ice-skating etc.

Free stuff: the giant National Museum of Scotland, the tiny Museum of Edinburgh, possibly the Storytellers Museum (?), Calton Hill and your obligatory walk of the Royal Mile. You can also climb a couple of the monuments for about a fiver.

Advertisement