Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Sunday afternoons

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

And will it be enforced?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Source link?

Edit - googled and added source to OP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

biko wrote: »
    Source link?

Connacht tribune FB page.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭ratracer

I wonder how much revenue that will bring in after paying community wardens overtime? AFAIK they don't work Sunday, so they'll now be getting double time for checking for tickets! A terribly short sighted decision by the councillors IMO!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

I guess if people didn't park like dicks it wouldn't have to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I think this is a stupid move. Unless this is aggressively enforced particularly on Sunday it'll be ignored.

The enforcement is extremely light in Galway anyway, it's probably cheaper to avoid paying for parking entirely and just pay the fines. Good job council...

jjpep wrote: »

Its nothing to do with how people park and everything to do with gouging by the council. I can't see businesses being happy with this, lack of parking and parking charges is already keeping people out of the city centre mon to sat this is going to make sunday no go now also.

Making profit on the Lord's day
    What sez the bishop?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Well they expect it to yield 170K according to the paper today.

They know too well that most shops don't open on Sundays till midday ish or even lunch time, so they are without doubt targeting the would-be shoppers. They may as well charge all day instead of attempting to make look like they are doing people a favour by allowing free parking in the morning time which is of little use to most people.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Well they expect it to yield 170K according to the paper today.

They know too well that most shops don't open on Sundays till midday ish or even lunch time, so they are without doubt targeting the would-be shoppers. They may as well charge all day instead of attempting to make look like they are doing people a favour by allowing free parking in the morning time which is of little use to most people.

Well in fairness I would often drive into town for a night out and gone in to collect the car the next day. You would see quite a few people doing this or parking at Friends houses sat night and heading home Sunday so at least free morning parking gives a chance in these scenarios. Its an absolute joke having to pay in the afternoon though, its bad enough having to pay Monday to Friday to park while trying to go about your business but now on Sundays it should never have been allowed to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Well in fairness I would often drive into town for a night out and gone in to collect the car the next day. You would see quite a few people doing this or parking at Friends houses sat night and heading home Sunday so at least free morning parking gives a chance in these scenarios.

A valid point I agree, I doubt very much the CC took that into consideration though ;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Its nothing to do with how people park and everything to do with gouging by the council. I can't see businesses being happy with this, lack of parking and parking charges is already keeping people out of the city centre mon to sat this is going to make sunday no go now also.

If it's a no go, then why are there so many cars there already?

The charges are simply being applied at times when parking demand is greater than supplying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

jjpep wrote: »

I get your point about them doing it for a profit, the point I was (badly) aiming at that a lot of people take advantage of the fact that there is no enforcement on Sunday and park like muppets, worse than other days of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Be interesting to see what times they charge for?

Total farce, IMHO.

Do any other city / county councils charge for on-street parking on Sundays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Am I the only one that assumed it was already paid-parking on a Sunday... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Be interesting to see what times they charge for?

1 to 6pm

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

That's a pity / short sighted. I meet my parents at mcswiggans every 2nd Sunday for lunch and enjoy a leisurely stroll up shop street afterwards. Think we will have to find a new location outside of town going forward. I expect the restaurant trade in the city will suffer as they are normally busy on a Sunday. I hear the huntsman is good.

Are the council that broke, seems to be real scraping of the barrel stuff. Dublin / Limerick and cork have free on street parking on Sundays.

I'm guessing the expected gains were computed on the back of a pack of cigarettes and assume parking spaces are 100% occupied, that or else they are forecasting all the parking fines they will take in.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Better they get extra revenue from this than increasing commercial rates & property tax, but how much would it cost to reprogram all the machines and change all the parking signs throughout the city to include Sunday afternoons???

I'm pretty sure that some wardens work Sundays. I remember during the summer seeing parking tickets issued on Sunday for dbl yell(no, not there from the previous day)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭ratracer

snubbleste wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that some wardens work Sundays. I remember during the summer seeing parking tickets issued on Sunday for dbl yell(no, not there from the previous day)

I'd say they were most likely issued by the Gardai

ratracer wrote: »
    I'd say they were most likely issued by the Gardai
    Nope. They were City Council ones, pink slip.
    Garda don't issue paper tickets

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

snubbleste wrote: »
    Nope. They were City Council ones, pink slip.
    Garda don't issue paper tickets

Knowing what some of the traffic wardens are like (enjoy creating misery for prople) it wouldn't surprise me if the were doing it for free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Knowing what some of the traffic wardens are like (enjoy creating misery for prople) it wouldn't surprise me if the were doing it for free
    Are prople a sub group of a certain type of people that the wardens you know are targetting?
    Is it a Galway City Slang term?

Advertisement