Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter cyclist negativity

Options
  • 15-11-2016 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

I cycle to work daily - most car/bus drivers are ok but there are always those a$$holes who value your life less as you are on a bicycle. its pretty stressful sometimes trying to protect your space on the road.

How do you get over the constant negativity ? i love my cycle to and from work but lately negativity from drivers and lack of care around me on my commute has got me down.

Today was the final straw. A couple in a car (windows down smoking fags out the window) pulled in on top of me in a bus/cycle lane. Anyway they went back into the correct lane after a while - then further up the road they passed me and shouted " we passed you, you f*cking fool".

Its so pathetic but it really got me. I dont know why. I have cycled to work for years and before that drove a motorbike daily - so i know what its like to be a vulnerable road user. im considering leaving the cycling for a while as im just sick of the rubbish.

Disclaimer: i know there are plenty of awful cyclists out there too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

There is an element of fascistic revanchism out there among people who I won't generalise as Motorists...let's call them people looking for justify their own narcissism.

An optimist will say that it's a sign of increasing cyclist visibility.

I'm less of an optimist so take the "some days you can either laugh or jump off a cliff: so you might as well laugh" approach.

This helps me shake the grotty post encounter feeling:

https://twitter.com/Flaminghobo1?s=09

Others turn to @bikesnobnyc or a dozen other outlets.

Remember you're the one experiencing freedom, revel in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

1. Don't react to any provocation/ negativity.
    2. Cycle "Defensibly"
    3. Take your time..don't Be in a hurry.
    4. Listen to music or the radio and ignore everyone!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The roads are chock full of dickheads. I just ignore them. Life's too short to get aggravated.

It's not like it would be any different if you drive instead. You still encounter the same amount of dickheads doing dickheaded things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Parchment wrote: »
    I cycle to work daily - most car/bus drivers are ok but there are always those a$$holes who value your life less as you are on a bicycle. its pretty stressful sometimes trying to protect your space on the road.

How do you get over the constant negativity ? i love my cycle to and from work but lately negativity from drivers and lack of care around me on my commute has got me down.

Today was the final straw. A couple in a car (windows down smoking fags out the window) pulled in on top of me in a bus/cycle lane. Anyway they went back into the correct lane after a while - then further up the road they passed me and shouted " we passed you, you f*cking fool".

Its so pathetic but it really got me. I dont know why. I have cycled to work for years and before that drove a motorbike daily - so i know what its like to be a vulnerable road user. im considering leaving the cycling for a while as im just sick of the rubbish.

Get over, it's not just cyclists it happens to. Its a part of life.

Had people throw a egg at me when I run, had a cyclist hit my car window off for the laugh. Had cars cut me off when on my bike for fun.

Just don't become one of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

The roads are chock full of dickheads. I just ignore them. Life's too short to get aggravated.

It's not like it would be any different if you drive instead. You still encounter the same amount of dickheads doing dickheaded things.

Thats true - i guess im just far more vulnerable when on a bike - physically and emotionally!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I find slowing down is an antidote to some of the problems of city cycling. Less cortisol in your system.

Agree with listening to music too. Unless its heavy metal.

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    I find slowing down is an antidote to some of the problems of city cycling. Less cortisol in your system.

I could never listen to music/headphones when i cycled - for me that would be hugely dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

What everyone else said - don't fret it and ignore the haters.

As soon as I cross over the M50 into Dublin I enter "happy/smiley/wavy mode" wherein I ease up and go with the flow, thank motorists who let me in, nod to those who don't kill me etc. It just makes for an easier less stressful commute.

That said you're always going to get the odd dickhead looking for an argument, but remember, it takes two to have an argument so ride on!

Do not do this, this is safety hazard.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I find the headphones are great alright. Sometimes music, sometimes Morning Ireland. Makes the commute that bit more pleasant. I think it also sends a signal out to the crazies that you're not interested in engaging.

• Advertisement

Are you telling me or the OP ?

Are you telling me or the OP ?

I am saying to whoever does it, its too dangerous as your not aware of your env.

Headphones are so dangerous they don't even allow them in running races due to safety concern, never mind on a busy road with traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'm cycling 30 years and listen to music while commuting. Its not dangerous.

"In an academic paper published last year, Katrina Jungnickel of the University of London and Rachel Aldred of the University of Westminster looked at research conducted in Hull, Hackney and Bristol during 2010 and 2011 around cyclists' behaviour. They describe a range of 'sensory strategies' used by cyclists to help them deal with their surroundings. Contrary to the representation of the "‘iPod zombie cyclist’ who, plugged into a mobile audio device, lumbers insensitively and dangerously through the urban landscape", the paper finds that "listening to music (or talking to others on the telephone) can be a way of warming up ‘chilly’ environments."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/recreational-cycling/10956953/Should-cyclists-be-allowed-to-listen-to-music.html

The only time I risk having an accident while listening to the radio is in the car.

If I need to run an errand at lunchtime I'd drive into work. Going off to the shops or wherever at lunchtime, I'd usually have the News at One on in the car. However, by the time I have to come back to work, the news is often finished and I'd suddenly realise that it's Joe Duffy I'm listening to.

I usually end up flapping at the dashboard as if it's on fire in a bid to change the channel as quickly as possible.

07Lapierre wrote: »

"In an academic paper published last year, Katrina Jungnickel of the University of London and Rachel Aldred of the University of Westminster looked at research conducted in Hull, Hackney and Bristol during 2010 and 2011 around cyclists' behaviour. They describe a range of 'sensory strategies' used by cyclists to help them deal with their surroundings. Contrary to the representation of the "‘iPod zombie cyclist’ who, plugged into a mobile audio device, lumbers insensitively and dangerously through the urban landscape", the paper finds that "listening to music (or talking to others on the telephone) can be a way of warming up ‘chilly’ environments."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/recreational-cycling/10956953/Should-cyclists-be-allowed-to-listen-to-music.html

The telegraph, come on.

It is dangerous, you won't be fully aware of your environment.

I am saying to whoever does it, its too dangerous as your not aware of your env.

Headphones are so dangerous they don't even allow them in running races due to safety concern, never mind on a busy road with traffic

Its been debated at length before. Its perfectly safe...earphones at least, rather than noise cancelling headphones. You can turn down the volume if its too loud ?

Your example above sounds like health and safety ar*e covering, ie, better not to allow them rather than trust everyone to use them sensibly.

07Lapierre wrote: »

Maybe it works for you but for me it seems counterintuitive to block one of my senses when cycling. Same when i used a motorbike.

Its been debated at length before. Its perfectly safe...earphones at least, rather than noise cancelling headphones. You can turn down the volume if its too loud ?

Your example above sounds like health and safety ar*e covering, ie, better not to allow them rather than trust everyone to use them sensibly.

Not really, I be racing and I would point say to the runner beside watch out to your left, they wouldnt hear and bang, they are on the floor.!

You can't block out a sense and say it's safe

Headphones are banned in cycle races as well. I'm not sure what their status is in motor racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

When I commute it's headphones in and defensive cycling all the way. It's just not worth your energy arguing with idiots.

Earlier this year I had one guy in a van beeping like a mental patient in the bus lane because he couldn't squeeze by me as I didn't fancy cycling against the curb where all the drains were. Illegally driving in the bus lane and gets belligerent about a cyclist being in the lane... not worth your breath.

Agree with slowing down when in the city too, pedestrians walking between cars etc. are more of a hazard than cars themselves. At least when filtering slowly in traffic you can avoid them.

NOTE: Cycling with headphones does not affect your ability to cycle. You should always be cycling predictably in a relatively straight line while maintaining some kind of predictable pace; fortunately headphones do not effect my limbs. I don't need to hear what's going on behind me provided I have cursory glance over the shoulder so I'm aware of my surroundings.

But if you turn down the volume, how can you hear the music with the traffic around you?

jive wrote: »
    When I commute it's headphones in and defensive cycling all the way. It's just not worth your energy arguing with idiots.

Earlier this year I had one guy in a van beeping like a mental patient in the bus lane because he couldn't squeeze by me as I didn't fancy cycling against the curb where all the drains were. Illegally driving in the bus lane and gets belligerent about a cyclist being in the lane... not worth your breath.

Agree with slowing down when in the city too, pedestrians walking between cars etc. are more of a hazard than cars themselves. At least when filtering slowly in traffic you can avoid them.

NOTE: Cycling with headphones does not affect your ability to cycle. You should always be cycling predictably in a relatively straight line while maintaining some kind of predictable pace; fortunately headphones do not effect my limbs. I don't need to hear what's going on behind me provided I have cursory glance over the shoulder so I'm aware of my surroundings.

But need to know what's going on beside you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

But if you turn down the volume, how can you hear the music with the traffic around you?

Your obviously not married :D

ford2600 wrote: »
    Your obviously not married :D

Hmmm, no matter how i answer this one I can get into trouble.

I have a boss and 2 little bosses:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

But need to know what's going on beside you.

Why? If it's a motorist then I'll hear them, unfortunately not matter how hard I crank the music I can still hear them. If I'm going to swerve without a glance over my right shoulder then I'm going to swerve anyway because whatever is in front of me is causing me to swerve meaning I'll be busting myself regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Parchment wrote: »

Its funny, because what gets me down most as a cyclist isn't so much what I see on the road; but what I hear on the radio or read on the newspapers etc.

It smacks of bullying; its the behaviour that bullies exhibit. Lets just pick on someone because they are weak......there are tonnes of us drivers, we are in charge.....

A guy at work said to me a few weeks ago - "the only good cyclist is a dead cyclist"......I just thought, what a pr*ck that he thinks he can speak to me like that.....

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Its funny, because what gets me down most as a cyclist isn't so much what I see on the road; but what I hear on the radio or read on the newspapers etc.

It smacks of bullying; its the behaviour that bullies exhibit. Lets just pick on someone because they are weak......there are tonnes of us drivers, we are in charge.....

A guy at work said to me a few weeks ago - "the only good cyclist is a dead cyclist"......I just thought, what a pr*ck that he thinks he can speak to me like that.....

That's a very sad person!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Long time ago I was commuting in one of the worst rain storms I ever remember.

Car overtook me and at the last moment something warned me that the driver was going to make a mistake.
    I sat up and braked hard to stop. The car turned left across me with inches to spare.
    I think he'd passed a cyclist directly behind me and when he checked his mirror he saw that cyclist but thought that was me - if you follow all that.
    Rain is absolutely hammering down. He is now side on to me and realises he came so very close to hitting me. Still no problem. Still everything so calm. UntilHe then winds down his window and roars " You fcukin tight fisted dickhead - ya're too fcukin mean to spend bus fare....."
    I know its not funny. Not really. But I cracked up laughing. He'd gone at this stage and I bet other people wondered why the moron was standing in the rain and laughing. Sometimes you just need to laugh this **** off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

That's a very sad person!

To be honest though, it probably touched a nerve because for whatever reason....

...as a driver I don't ever particularly think about being in a car crash....but as a cyclist, I frequently think about being hit or falling off the bike.....while cycling and while not cycling.

Advertisement