Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter cyclist negativity

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

But if you turn down the volume, how can you hear the music with the traffic around you?

You find the sweet spot between your music and the environment.

Actually, I've had more impairment to my hearing by a strong headwind than from earphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The telegraph, come on.

It is dangerous, you won't be fully aware of your environment.

Can you post a link to the appropriate scientific study which states that listening to music is so dangerous? (I'll accept one printed in The Telegraph)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Parchment wrote: »
    Maybe it works for you but for me it seems counterintuitive to block one of my senses when cycling. Same when i used a motorbike.

And how much were the fines for not wearing a helmet on the motorbike?

Classic case of victim blaming.

I can see it now...Motorist and cyclist are involved in a traffic accident. Who's at fault? who cares..cyclist was wearing headphones. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

07Lapierre wrote:
    1. Don't react to any provocation/ negativity. 2. Cycle "Defensibly" 3. Take your time..don't Be in a hurry. 4. Listen to music or the radio and ignore everyone!

"Ignore everyone".

What a fantastic piece of bad advice and a surefire way for a cyclist to get hurt. Ignore the dangers around you. Good man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

First of all, enjoy your commutre. It'll make you healthier, fitter and is constant duration wise (more or less) all year round. For me, the commute is the best part of my morning and evening.

There's a lot of people that feel as a cyclist that doesn't pay "road tax" that you've no place on the roads which are "dangerous". Accept, as you have done, that you're going to come across the odd cOck. My own tenets for using the road:

1. Don't engage with abusive motorists. If anything progresses beyond that (i.e. deliberately aggressive / dangerous driving that endangers you), feel free to call traffic watch. They're normally pretty responsive and chances are a Garda car at the least will call around to the offenders house at an unsociable hour of the morning. I had it with a young "lady" who tried to run me off the road a few years back, Garda called to say he's spoken to her at 7 am on a Saturday morning. Might make people think.

2. Never trust a person in a motorized vehicle. Chances are they're thinking of themselves and focused more on their Facebook status / make up / bowl of cereal or the imminent red light over your safety. They won't see you at roundabouts or junctions, even if you've got a hi-vis bike, clothing, wheels and massive strobes. They're more interested in their journey than your safety.If you don't have eye contact, assume they haven't seen you.

3. Never, never, never (and I mean never!) go up the inside of HGV's. Biggest killer of cyclists.

4. Don't be afraid to take the lane and cycle defensively - had it just this afternoon while on a Dublin bike - took the lane at Jury's Christchurch going ahead, white van man up my a$$, revving aggressively then sped through the light left. He would have quite happily turned left in front of me if I had of stayed left. Couple of seconds won't kill people, but someone taking a chance to run a red can injure / kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

dbagman wrote: »
    "Ignore everyone".

What a fantastic piece of bad advice and a surefire way for a cyclist to get hurt. Ignore the dangers around you. Good man.

I didn't take what he said as meaning that. I was cycling home with the kids recently when I passed a car and a kid starting shouting at the window at me. So I blanked whoever it was. Then the car catches up with me again and I hear my name. It was somebody I knew and her kid. But I'm so used to ignoring other road users, because most times someone is trying to get your attention out a car, they're about to shout something "hilarious" or throw something at you. Or at least often enough that my default reaction has become, almost without me noticing, to blank. And by and large it's the right reaction, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

"Ignore everyone".

I think you're included.

Headphones are banned in cycle races as well. I'm not sure what their status is in motor racing.

Pro cyclists use Radios. Not quite the same as listening to music on a commute, and there is a hot debate about banning them. But the main reason given for keeping them is Safety! (Riders can be alerted to potential hazards up the road)

F1 racing and Rally cars also use radio's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Not really, I be racing and I would point say to the runner beside watch out to your left, they wouldnt hear and bang, they are on the floor.!

You can't block out a sense and say it's safe

How do the headphones prevent them seeing you pointing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Hey OP,

Try remember two things

(I) Most road users are decent people, only some are tossers.
    (II) You get to travel by bike, probably the most enjoyable way there is to get around.

Illegitimi non carborundum

NMG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I'm cycling 30 years and listen to music while commuting. Its not dangerous.

Twenty plus years here/hear :p ~ Anyway, yup I don't find it distracting at all.

As for dickhead drivers, OP like the others have said 'ignore them and carry on. Ride defensively and as in all things in life 'don't be a dick, ie banging on cars, jumping red lights, up and down off paths, up one way streets etc and you'll find most people are fine.

If I found riding my bikes stressful I just wouldn't bother.

For the record my commute is the Malahide Road, or Portmarnock through Sutton Cross into Fairview and the city. Save for Sutton to Fairview I'm in traffic almost the entire time.

I couldn't imagine not cycling, so don't let the minority of dickheads ruin your commute.

I've started to follow YellowDublinCyclist on youtube, he rides more or less the same roads. Records all the different transgressors withouth screaming his head off like some of the other GoPro idiots ~ he's worth follow and has a really nice attitude to other road users both motor vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

- then further up the road they passed me and shouted " we passed you, you f*cking fool"
    ah, don't begrudge people their achievements, probably highlight of his week 'I passed out a bicycle in my motor today, Lewis Hamilton: watch out!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

cdaly_ wrote: »
    And how much were the fines for not wearing a helmet on the motorbike?

Actually you can still hear most of whats going on around you with a helmet on. Your blind spot is slightly harder to look into with a helmet on - but thats it.

Also being on a motorbike has a distinct advantage over a bicycle - you are far more powerful, quicker to move and easier for cars to see. a cyclist is a far more vulnerable road user.

We can agree to differ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Twenty plus years here/hear :p ~ Anyway, yup I don't find it distracting at all.

As for dickhead drivers, OP like the others have said 'ignore them and carry on. Ride defensively and as in all things in life 'don't be a dick, ie banging on cars, jumping red lights, up and down off paths, up one way streets etc and you'll find most people are fine.

If I found riding my bikes stressful I just wouldn't bother.

For the record my commute is the Malahide Road, or Portmarnock through Sutton Cross into Fairview and the city. Save for Sutton to Fairview I'm in traffic almost the entire time.

I couldn't imagine not cycling, so don't let the minority of dickheads ruin your commute.

I've started to follow YellowDublinCyclist on youtube, he rides more or less the same roads. Records all the different transgressors withouth screaming his head off like some of the other GoPro idiots ~ he's worth follow and has a really nice attitude to other road users both motor vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians.

I just had a look at a few of the YT videos on that guys channel - its so zen! Great music,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Do not do this, this is safety hazard.

What about music in a vehicle? Or does that not matter because they are less vulnerable? What about deaf cyclists? Are they a safety hazard?
    OleRodrigo wrote: »
    You find the sweet spot between your music and the environment.

Actually, I've had more impairment to my hearing by a strong headwind than from earphones.

You don't have to wear noise cancelling headphones at max volume in order to enjoy some music on your cycle. Ear pods help me hear when there's too much wind too.
    "Ignore everyone".

The poster said "Ignore everybody", not "Ignore the dangers around you", what he/she implied, from my understanding, was "Ignore people being dícks, don't confront anybody, you will not be able to change their behavior, just enjoy your cycle..."

Just arrived home! A beautiful evening for cycling! Not cold and very little wind! Also great views of the "Supermoon" and all accompanied with a pleasant calm, soothing musical soundtrack! (Thanks Spotify!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just arrived home! A beautiful evening for cycling! Not cold and very little wind! Also great views of the "Supermoon" and all accompanied with a pleasant calm, soothing musical soundtrack! (Thanks Spotify!)

It was the Ramones for me today, and yes the weather is wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Good advice so far - But one thing to note it's easy to say "just enjoy it", but actually enjoying it can be tough thing to switch to.

Admittedly, I used to be an aggro cyclist unfortunately, any little excuse and I'd be roaring at people. Jaysis I was a a**hole. In the last 7 or 8 years I've considerably calmed and now I absolutely love my commute, even if it's bucketing down. I'm not saying you're an a**hole cyclist at all OP, but I was very easily angered by little mistakes anyone can make, as well as poor driving and the people you met today.

It's a bit of self-fulfilling prophecy. If you're stressed about the commute from the beginning it's hard to shake anything that happens during it. Luckily it works the other way too. If you get on the bike in the morning with a more upbeat attitude, any incidents will seem trivial. I find being courteous helps get you into this mood - letting a bus out of a stop or waving to say thanks to someone who let you move out to avoid an obstacle. (Just avoid thumbs up, this can be read wrong as I once experience :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Actually you can still hear most of whats going on around you with a helmet on. Your blind spot is slightly harder to look into with a helmet on - but thats it.
    And I can hear most of what's going on around me with earbuds.
    Also being on a motorbike has a distinct advantage over a bicycle - you are far more powerful, quicker to move and easier for cars to see. a cyclist is a far more vulnerable road user.
    Quicker to move perhaps but the 'easier for cars to see' bit is all about road position, not being a motorbike. I ride my bicycle like a motorbike: take the lane, ride in the zone where a driver is scanning rather than in the ditch. I also signal profusely.
    We can agree to differ.
    Oh no we can't!... ;)

Deedsie wrote: »
    I was cycling home this evening behind a swerving moron who was changing tracks on his phone as he cycled. I said excuse me a few times and he didn't hear me due to the earphones. Inconsiderate tool, if it was anyone here your rear light is terrible.

A moron is a moron! Regardless of what mode of transport or what music they listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Not really, I be racing and I would point say to the runner beside watch out to your left, they wouldnt hear and bang, they are on the floor.!

You can't block out a sense and say it's safe

I presume you keep your windows down when you're driving then, right? You can't block out a sense and say it's safe.
    cajonlardo wrote: »
    Long time ago I was commuting in one of the worst rain storms I ever remember.

Car overtook me and at the last moment something warned me that the driver was going to make a mistake.
    I sat up and braked hard to stop. The car turned left across me with inches to spare.
    I think he'd passed a cyclist directly behind me and when he checked his mirror he saw that cyclist but thought that was me - if you follow all that.
    Rain is absolutely hammering down. He is now side on to me and realises he came so very close to hitting me. Still no problem. Still everything so calm. UntilHe then winds down his window and roars " You fcukin tight fisted dickhead - ya're too fcukin mean to spend bus fare....."
    I know its not funny. Not really. But I cracked up laughing. He'd gone at this stage and I bet other people wondered why the moron was standing in the rain and laughing. Sometimes you just need to laugh this **** off

Laughing is a great technique. They can't work out whether you're making a fool of them, or you're a psychopath about to tear them apart.
    Pinch Flat wrote: »
    1. Don't engage with abusive motorists. If anything progresses beyond that (i.e. deliberately aggressive / dangerous driving that endangers you), feel free to call traffic watch. They're normally pretty responsive and chances are a Garda car at the least will call around to the offenders house at an unsociable hour of the morning. I had it with a young "lady" who tried to run me off the road a few years back, Garda called to say he's spoken to her at 7 am on a Saturday morning. Might make people think.
    I agree with most of your post, but there are other options here as well. I would generally only involve the Gardai in more serious cases where I had good video evidence. In other cases, it is possible to engage with 95% of people on the road without getting into a road rage scenario. You can just talk to another adult on the road - cyclist, driver, pedestrian - and say something like 'You endanged me there when you did x, y or z'.
    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Its funny, because what gets me down most as a cyclist isn't so much what I see on the road; but what I hear on the radio or read on the newspapers etc.

It smacks of bullying; its the behaviour that bullies exhibit. Lets just pick on someone because they are weak......there are tonnes of us drivers, we are in charge.....

A guy at work said to me a few weeks ago - "the only good cyclist is a dead cyclist"......I just thought, what a pr*ck that he thinks he can speak to me like that.....

I think what's going on here is that cyclists are perhaps the last minority group that it's 'ok to hate'. Yer workmate can't complain about people of other races or other religions or other sexual preferences, in polite company at least. But he can probably get away with hating on cyclists in most circles. Call him out on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Deedsie wrote: »
    I was cycling home this evening behind a swerving moron who was changing tracks on his phone as he cycled. I said excuse me a few times and he didn't hear me due to the earphones. Inconsiderate tool, if it was anyone here your rear light is terrible.

Would you care to explain how this cyclist effected you by changing channel ( how you know that's what he/she was doing I dont know, there are lots of things one can do on a smartphone include checking who called you ), other than you visually seeing him/her doing it...

1. Don't react to any provocation/ negativity.
    2. Cycle "Defensibly"
    3. Take your time..don't Be in a hurry.
    4. Listen to music or the radio and ignore everyone!

No.1 is a great point.

I learned my lesson once when a car honked at me when it was turning left in front of me coming from the opposite directing. No call to honk at me at all as I had right of way. I just saw red and turned around to give the driver the finger. Wasn't looking where i was going, hit the kerb, and went head over heads over the handlebars. Guy on the pavement picked me up and said I was lucky I missed the bus that came along 30 seconds later. Luckily didn't get a scratch. Was beginner cyclists at the time. Have had a few assholes scream abuse at me out the windows since but I always completely ignore then and if I can I don't even turn my head to look at them. Best lesson I ever learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

learn_more wrote: »
    Would you care to explain how this cyclist effected you by changing channel ( how you know that's what he/she was doing I dont know, there are lots of things one can do on a smartphone include checking who called you ), other than you visually seeing him/her doing it...
    I think his point is valid regardless of whether the person was changing tracks, reading an email, texting etc. I've been in similar situations several times where I'm approaching another cyclist and they swerve across my path while looking into a phone or they don't hear my call of 'on your right' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

they don't hear my call of 'on your right' etc.

It's not that they don't hear it, they just don't understand it. They're aren't expecting it because they are in their own world. The last thing they expect is a 'heads up' from another cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

crosstownk wrote: »
    It's not that they don't hear it, they just don't understand it. They're aren't expecting it because they are in their own world. The last thing they expect is a 'heads up' from another cyclist.

I'd go further; they don't understand it because "on your right" doesn't mean anything to people who aren't club cyclists. I only know what it means because I frequent here.

The first reaction you're likely to get is the other person turning around and going "huh?", possibly veering further into your path. Which isn't the reaction you want, I imagine.

"Can I just squeeze past you?" makes more sense. Or something like that. Fast, close passes should be no part of commuting cycling anyway, so brusque "warnings" shouldn't be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I'd go further; they don't understand it because "on your right" doesn't mean anything to people who aren't club cyclists.

Exactly.

I had it in France last year. A guy passed me and said "A la gauche". I copped it after a momentary delay due to my slow translation but that's exactly it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I think his point is valid regardless of whether the person was changing tracks, reading an email, texting etc. I've been in similar situations several times where I'm approaching another cyclist and they swerve across my path while looking into a phone or they don't hear my call of 'on your right' etc.

Oh, so the issue is overtaking. I never ever, whether I'm running or cycling shout from behind to let someone know I'm overtaking. I don't think that strategy is part of accepted or expected overtaking behaviour.

I have had a few people do that to in my lifetime whether it is while I am walking or cycling and mostly it just gives me a fright, and I think it's just really really rude.

What you have do is wait till you think it's safe to overtake even when you feel the front person is totally unaware of you. And that INCLUDEDS if they are on their phone. When you overtake it is your responsibility to give a wide girth in the event that the person in front would serve out for some unexpected reason. If you feel you are being held up because of that, tough.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

One thing iv noticed that I just cannot understand. Maybe some can shed some light on it here for me. It's happened me loads of times but most recently in merrion square. I was looking to turn left which would of taken me across a cycle lane. There was a line of a good 15 or 20 cyclists in said lane. I positioned my car beside the only decent sized gap between any of them(more than adequate space to fit my vehicle in) and preceeded to indicate left. Now I did this a good 200 or 300 metres before my turn to ensure cyclist behind me was well aware in plenty of time of my intentions. And low and behold as I went to turn cyclist attempts to undertake me and then throw his arms up in anger and starts shouting at me. This is not an isolated incident. Can I just ask how and why I could of been seen to be in the wrong in this situation? And why alot (not saying all) cyclists seem to think it ok to undertake moving vehicles in situations like this. I could not have given more space or notice of what was about to happen. Yet cyclist still perceived me to be in the wrong. Do cyclists expect other road users to bow down to them and stop dead in their tracks to suit them or what? How else could I of played this out? Stopping in the middle of the road to let a never ending stream of bikes undertake me is unreasonable. I was well in front of this guy with an orange light flashing in his face (I drive a jeep,so quite literally my indicators are eye level) . Like I said. Far from an isolated occurance .

Advertisement