Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post PO Box Scam

Options
  • 15-11-2016 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey,

So I opened a PO box with an post, except its not a PO box.. its a mail holding service, you don't get a key, even though there are lockers in the sorting office where my "PO box" is "located". Basically you have to go to the window and show your ID to collect your mail.

What's the point in using this when I can use addresspal for far cheaper and you get a message when something arrives?

Is this false advertisement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not asking what you're getting before signing up for it is neither a scam nor false advertisement.

If they have lockers, ask if one is available. They may all be allocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Repex

Yeah I guess your right. But if you buy a box you expect a box you know? I guess I will have to ask then, thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

You rented a PO box address, not an actual box.
    Have a look at their terms and conditions.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Business+Customers/Managing+Mail/PO+Box.htm
    An identification card (and in some cases an access key) will be supplied to each customer using the PO Box for production at the office when collecting their mail. Customers must notify An Post if their ID card/key has been lost or stolen.

Yeah they didn't send me an ID card or even an acknowledgement letter! I just got a call and was told my PO box number and that was it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What you're paying for is a mail holding service. If they had a dedicated box per customer like in a safety deposit service, you would be obliged to pick a box size capable of holding the largest parcel you anticipated receiving and the charges would be based on the size of that box which would be empty 99% of the time.

Are you aware of Parcel Motel? What you are asking for is the equivalent of a dedicated box reserved exclusively for you in your local Parcel Motel collection point which I hope you can see would make no sense. Letting An Post manage the service without a dedicated box per customer makes perfect sense to me.

• Advertisement

In most other countries a PO box means a mail box that you get a key to and can access any time :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Repex wrote: »
    In most other countries a PO box means a mail box that you get a key to and can access any time :/

Maybe read the details of something before signing. A PO Box number has been the same service for 30+ years (I had one in the eighties).

I also had one in the UK about 20 years ago - Identical service to Irish system.

Its certainly not a scam - just some people assume things which is where they can get disappointed when their assumption turns out to be wrong because they simply did not check what they were getting.

Advertisement